Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 01:20PM

Pope’s humble car fascinates South Koreans
By YOUKYUNG LEE | The Associated Press

Seoul, South Korea • Pope Francis’ choice of wheels during his five-day South Korean visit
has surprised many in this painfully self-conscious country,
where big shots rarely hit the streets in anything but expensive luxury cars...

In a live television broadcast, the pope climbed into the backseat of the boxy Kia Soul,
rolled down the window and waved...

Francis’ frugality and humble demeanor have received wide coverage in South Korea,
a fiercely competitive country that celebrates ostentatious displays of status and wealth.
This national trait can be seen in booming industries such as private tutoring and plastic surgery.

The images of the smiling pope in his little car struck a chord online...

For the man called "The People’s Pope" the choice makes sense.
He has eschewed the bulletproof "popemobiles" that his predecessors used on foreign trips
and urged priests around the world to travel in low-key cars.

Inside the Vatican City, the pope prefers a blue Ford Focus, or when he’s out in St. Peter’s Square,
a white open-topped vehicle that allows him to literally reach out and touch the masses.

South Korean media widely reported that the pope requested the smallest South Korean car during his visit.
The Soul is Kia’s second-smallest model and reportedly provides more leg room than other compact cars.

Though not everyone loves the Soul’s funky design, it appeals to a niche of young, practical drivers.
It has never, however, been a car of the rich and powerful.

Already bubbling with excitement over the first papal visit in 25 years,
South Koreans appeared fascinated by the humble papal car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2014 01:23PM by heretic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 01:22PM

While I admire his leadership by example, I am concerned for his safety. I want this pope around for a long, long time.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 01:30PM

When was the last time a leader, any leader, of the Mo church has visited a foreign country and the media actually cared?

Posted by: lenina ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 01:41PM

Since "eschewing" the bulletproof vehicle, safety is not a concern. Why not walk then? Even more Christlike :-)

Posted by: happy gentile ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 04:05PM

Will you be happier when you see him walk then?

Worrying about bullets is one thing. He is still safer
in a car Kia or not!

geeezzz!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 01:46PM

El Papa is pretty safe with the Swiss Guard watching his back.

Any one of them could kick the asses of a whole platoon of the Mormon Profit’s secret service goons.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 01:51PM

TSM rides around in an armored Audi A8, if I am not mistaken. They fly first class, if not in the Huntsman jet.

I know where many of them shop for suits, and I know the cost. Yes, I shop there too, but I actually earn the money I spend.

As a young missionaries in Germany, we would make fun of the "Princes of the Church" and their opulent life styles. We were so glad that our top leaders were humble servants of the Lord.

Now, not so much.

Posted by: Keyser ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 03:51PM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 01:58PM

Enjoyed the post. Thanks.

I personally think it would be smashing to see Tommy Doofus pulling a handcart that is full, not empty, while he attempts to wave to the widows.

Now, that would be breaking news.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 01:40PM

Many shop at Utah Woolen Mills. Suits start at $1,000 (min) and run up to $4k for off the rack. Custom start at $4k and go up to 10x that or more. I buy off the rack.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 01:51PM

the new pope is kind of lame. kia for crying out loud. get a honda at least. more reliable. lol

he's just pretending to be man of the people.

the previous pope? man, that was one cool pope. he rode ducati to work.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/pope-gets-two-ducati-multistrada-bikes-24469.html

monson, since he's a true apostle and follower, he walks bare boot. oh! nevermind the private jets. that's..that's when strictly necessary.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 04:04PM

The pope and Tommy Monson are just guys. There's nothing at all protecting them except their own caution. If the pope has abandoned his bullet-resistant pope-mobile, it's on him if he gets shot at. As for Tommy, he's inconsequential in the eyes of the greater world. Spending a fortune on the armored BMW will protect him from the most likely enemy.. A mentally unbalanced former or current member of his own cult.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 10:56PM

I don't think the care use had anything to do withe the pope's choice and safety..more a publicity stunt for the Korean car manufacturer Kia. The reasoning: he's in Korea lets show him riding in a Korean built car.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 09:36AM

Check out this website with photos:

https://www.google.com/#q=thomas+s.+monson+days+of+47+photos

You can clearly see that Monson is in an Audi A8 L Security, a factory-armored Audi that costs around $800,000 with no options. Note that Monson's car has the very expensive option of a roll-down rear window, hardly seen in armored vehicles, but seen more in factory-armored cars (as opposed to so-called "up-armored" vehicles).

Why should Mormons buy something like this for their crappy prophet? Because the members have no say over where their tithing dollars go. They may have spent money on the Audi option that blows refrigerated air up your drawers, or for the wet bar so that he'll have his beloved Diet Pepsi at all times.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 09:40AM

You can clearly see the armor if you know what to look for. The rear window is quite small because of the rim of armor that protrudes over the window frame to protect the occupant where the door meets the frame, because the window frame itself is vulnerable. It's hard to get into and out of, and you always bonk your head on that strip of armor.

Also note that he didn't used to drive around in one.

There is another picture where he's in a different, white car, where he's giving a "thumbs-up." Note that that car is also armored.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 09:41AM by cludgie.

Posted by: yup ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 11:29AM

QUOTE They fly first class, if not in the Huntsman jet UNQUOTE

They do fly first class, but it isn't because they purchase first class tickets. It is because they have more upgrade miles than they can ever spend, airlines want to avoid the impact of their celebrity on flights so want them in first class, and airlines upgrade them to honor the church as the source of a healthy portion of airline revenue out of SLC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.