Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon6699 ( )
Date: November 01, 2012 11:34AM

Anyone here know how long TBMs wait to do the blessing for a baby? I haven't gone to a church in about 10 years but my brother's wife just gave birth and I'm guessing they will ask that I attend the blessing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: November 01, 2012 11:46AM

Few weeks to few months?
For my sister's first, 3 weeks. As more came along, they waited longer each time to be more convenient for other family to attend. I think with the first one, they wanted to get her blessing soon as some kind of magical mormon protection, but loosened up a bit on the obsessive "do ALL the rituals right!" as more children came along.

Posted by: Anon6699 ( )
Date: November 01, 2012 11:52AM

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: dot ( )
Date: November 01, 2012 11:56AM

When our kids were adopted we still gave them a baby blessings even though they were around 2 years old at the time - it didn't happen at church, though, it was in our home or at the stake centre outside of the temple where we were sealed.

For some reason it was frowned upon to do it in church like all the newborns...

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 01, 2012 12:48PM

I remember in my younger days (yes, middle of last century), they used to do "baby" blessings to kids who had to sit on a chair and have the guys stand around them in a circle because they'd be 2 or 3 or 5 years old. It would be done in Sacrimonious Meeting. If a family joined the church and they had kids too young to be baptized, they'd have them blessed.

Course, that's back when families joined the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.