Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lkr209 ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 07:26PM

Aloha! Let me start off by saying that I *am* an active member. I was ecstatic when I found out about Pathways. This is the only college that I can afford without a loan. Unfortunately, I've hit many program policy roadblocks which has been devastating. The fact that those already with an Associate's cannot skip the Pathway program; that each group needs a minimum requirement of 15 participants to commence; and I can't be part of the 30+ group even if that's what is all available. I actually feel discriminated against because I'm not fortunate enough to physically attend a campus. I keep hearing that BYU is prestigious and that employers consider it so and I just realized that I've never actually spoken to any non-member employers about BYU to back that up. I've read a few of the discussion boards with graduates saying that many employers don't take their BYU degrees seriously. If you've experienced this or know anyone who has, I'd love to hear from you before I sign up for the program. Even for the seriously cheap tuition, I'm wondering if it's worth it for all the red tape. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 07:37PM

What is your proposed major?

Here are some previous threads on the topic:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1048595

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,907978

BYU-Provo has a certain level of respect nationally, particularly for certain majors such as business. BYU-I and BYU-H, not so much.

Date: August 13, 2014 07:45PM

I'd be going for a Business major at BYU-I. Thank you!

Date: August 13, 2014 07:49PM

Am I correct that you already have your associates degree?

If you do, I would cast your net a bit wider. Investigate all well-regarded undergraduate online business programs.

For instance, the University of Florida's undergraduate online degree ranks #5 for online business programs by US News:

http://www.usnewsuniversitydirectory.com/online-education/undergraduate.aspx?page=1

The University of Florida Business School ranks a respectable 44th on the Bloomberg Businessweek list of top business schools, and is only a bit more expensive than BYU:

http://www.usnewsuniversitydirectory.com/online-education/undergraduate.aspx?page=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 08:13PM by summer.

Date: August 13, 2014 08:10PM

Yes, I already have my associate's.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 09:08PM

Viewed as mormon high school outside of Utah.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 07:49PM

The Pathway program is very innovative and is one of the more viable ways that the church is positioned to provide value to its active members. It will also be a very compelling means of reactivation for people that would otherwise not be interested in the less tangible aspects of religious participation. There are a couple of things to keep in mind on it though: 1) the program is offered and administered through BYU-Idaho, not Provo, 2) it is a one-year "warm up" program intended to provide religious and college prep coursework, 3) the participant takes two courses in three separate terms over the course of a year, and is required to attend weekly classes at a stake center in your locality, 4) for inactive members, there is no worthiness requirements (thus encouraging "come as you are" participation.

It is very affordable to pursue an online degree through this program IF you are an already active member. For an inactive member that is not already paying tithing, the worthiness requirements that kick in after the completion of Pathway and enrollment into BYU-Idaho online include tithing, which makes the cost relative to a state education less compelling.

In your case, since you have an associate's degree already, there is really no benefit in enrolling, since it is designed for people that had poor grades coming out of high school and are looking for an entrance back into college. It would also be a big waste of time given the religious studies requirements that are mandatory in participating in the program and then in subsequent full-time enrollment at BYU-Idaho.

The BYU brand is hotly debated on this board. Bear in mind though--the BYU-Idaho and academic experience and the value of the degree is not generally held in high regard compared to the Provo degree. The Church is investing a lot of resources to make BYU-Idaho the education arm that provides members with a leg up, especially through online education. It will also serve as a practical means of reactivating people through Pathway and the promise of an inexpensive degree program.

Whatever you do...active Mormon or not...look at the fine print regarding any BYU degree and recognize that it subsidizes education at the expense of academic freedom and the learning that comes with that. I would strongly encourage you to seek out a state university that would allow you to completely benefit from the associate degree you already hold and participate in Institute (at no charge) if that is something that is important to you. Good luck!

Date: August 13, 2014 08:11PM

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.

Posted by: truth sets me free ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 08:31PM

As a non-tenured professor in the humanities I can tell you scholars in the humanities hold little respect for degrees from BYU (but on a different scale than University of Phoenix and like schools). No academic organizations outside of Mormondom or Utah see BYU as a quality institution. In the most recent international ranking, BYU ranked somewhere in the mid-400s while other regional institutions like the University of Utah and University of Arizona ranked in the top 100. For those seeking graduate degrees or programs like dental or medical school it wouldn't be an issue. For those jobs that require critical thinkers, BYU ranks last (behind such quality schools as Liberty and Bob Jones. I'm sorry I can't provide the links but my phone isn't fancy enough to do so.

Date: August 14, 2014 01:57PM

Since you said something, what are your thoughts on University of Phoenix? My spouse's job moves us frequently, so online schools are the best option. Are there any in particular that are well looked upon? Thanks!

Date: August 14, 2014 02:01PM

Oh, heck no. See my response above about the University of Florida. There are plenty of other schools that would meet your requirements for an online degree and be reasonably economical. Why go with a degree that no one respects and is expensive to boot, when there are so many other good choices? Do the research!

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 12:37AM

The Pathway program is mostly geared towards people who have been out of school for a while.

Also you have to comply with BYU-I's Foundations requirements which means you will be required to take a boat load of religious classes that have nothing to do with... well anything...

So if you like repetitive, slow, dumbed down busy work, sign up!

Another thing, even the non religious classes are very influenced by religion. In Pathway you have to take a life skills, english and math course.

Expect to learn Life skills pertaining to living the religion, write essays about the church (and possibily be graded down for having a dissenting opinion, seriously though the essay prompts are very one sided), and do math like "figure out X amount of tithing.

Yes, it is a cheap education, because it is a very very cheap education.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2014 12:38AM by nonsequiter.

Date: August 14, 2014 02:00PM

I can't even tell you how much it pisses me off that BYU-I can't come up with a program specifically for members that already have an Associate's. Life Skills? Seriously? Let me take a break from this 6th grade course to go pay some bills and be an adult for a few minutes...I was willing to go through it because of the tuition. But now I'm thinking I might just wait until I can sign up for an online college that accepts all of my credits. Gaaaaah.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 02:05PM

I was in the same spot. I have an Associate's Degree. I have always been a good student.

I started pathways because of the lure of cheap education and I figured I should take the advantage of being a mormon for something...

But I just felt like I was cheating myself out of a good education.

Seriously, sitting in "class" and learning how to manage my time is something I got the hang of in high school... I dont need to pay anything for that shit.

Date: August 14, 2014 02:26PM

Nor does it make sense to pay for religion courses.

Date: August 14, 2014 02:26PM

Good call.

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 06:03PM

My youngest brother and several friends that I grew up with are currently in the Pathways program, and from what I've seen, it is junk. I got my degree in business from a small, private college and got what I feel is an excellent education. I left college prepared for the workforce, and both my education and my college's repuation have helped me immensely.

My brother and friends are not getting nearly the education that I received. My education covered a wide variety of business topics, with great in-depth discussion of narrower topics in the upper division courses. The courses my brother is taking are similar to the business classes I took in high school, plus he has to take a bunch of classes that have no real world applications.

If you are going to spend money on an education, go to a well respected school. You don't have to put yourself in the poorhouse to do it, and many universities offer degrees completely online. Otherwise, get the work experience and build a career as you go. Either option will be extremely more valuable to you than the Pathways program.

Posted by: Lurker From Beyond ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 10:25PM

" I keep hearing that BYU is prestigious and that employers consider it so..."

It isn't and they don't

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.