Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 04:11PM

seemingly TBM friends?

I have had so many of my supposed TBM friends suddenly letting loose in front of me. They are confessing to all kinds of things including watching inappropriate TV shows or movies, drinking coffee, drinking wine every now and again, and they are also cursing in front of me. I guess I'm safe now, and nonjudgmental. It's rather amusing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 04:43PM

Yes I guess they just need someone to talk too.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 04:51PM

my TBM, uber conservative, youngest Brother (41yrs), likes to prove how hip he is by dropping F-bombs, and such, in a completely juvenile way. Poor nerd, just proves how emotionally stunted he is.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 04:51PM

They've finally found someone they can be around who doesn't think they are evil. I don't have any mormon friends where i live, so I haven't experienced this. It's interesting though.

My TBM sister did tell me that she doesn't care if I drink coffee or have a glass of wine around her. And she meant it. We were staying in a hotel together and she went and got my coffee for me one morning. I don't know any mormons that would do that.

Posted by: elohim ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 04:57PM

Wow, someone who "gets it." If every member was like your sister, maybe less people would resign and ask for no contact when they quit going to church.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 04:55PM

I had a couple of those. They tried to keep me around so they could be "naughty" and still have someone else to look down on - "well at least I'm not a homo."

That didn't last long.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 04:57PM

That's messed up. Wow...

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 06:12PM

Yeah. Drawing from that and other experiences, it's one reason I don't trust Mormons under any circumstances. The have to prove they AREN'T a total jagoff (which could take years at this point, LOL!) before I decide whether they're worth having as anything more than distant passing acquaintances.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 04:56PM

come to talk to me about leaving her husband. That was several years ago. I talked her into trying to work it out--and they did--having been left by my husband by then. The R.S. presidents who came to get my food order told me some things about their own marriages. I've had many people come to me through the years to not necessarily confess what they have done, but what is happening in their marriages and with their children.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 04:58PM

You've had a lot of experience, cl2... You'd be a good one to talk to.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 05:07PM

I think I'm the only normal person some of my TBM friends know. Ok, so I use "normal" loosely, but... well, you get it.

Date: October 18, 2012 05:16PM

In that case, your TBM friends are in big trouble. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 05:16PM by twojedis.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 09:54PM

Instead of normal maybe use non-TBM? I believe that normal is only a setting on the dryer anyways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 10:09PM by fidget.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 05:42PM

and friends who go through the mormon motions, and use me as a sounding board to complain since I'll listen to them without it ending up in ward gossip or ruining their careers. Actually, I think it's pretty neat.

Odd, though, if I bring up stuff first, they get defensive. On a few occasions I say something like, "yeah, I left it because of things like that." Even that can be too much for them.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 05:45PM

Oh, totally. Even when I was still in TSCC I was pretty open about my favorite minor sins - watching R-rated movies/TV shows, dirty jokes, and swearing. Friends that were uptight and mormon-y when other people were around would loosen up quite a bit when it was just them and me.

Now that I'm an exmo, this is even more true. I only have one TBM friend who knew me before I left TSCC (the rest of 'em split), but she loves that she can swear in front of me and talk about sampling wine at a grocery store because she knows there's no judgement. My other TBM friends all met me after I resigned, and they're the same way.

Only mormons think that other mormons act like mormons are supposed to act.

Posted by: Alice ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 05:45PM

Yes! What an eye-opener! So many seemingly perfect marriages are not even mediocre marriages. I became a confidant when I was still TBM. Because I was a single divorced working woman, I was on the "fringes", yet because I was the organist, I was still in the middle of things.

I always advised strongly against divorce, and used my own hard times as an example. One woman told me her bishopric husband was doing illegal things in his business, and that she could not support his dishonesty--that was a tough one! I gave her no advice at all, except to commiserate on how awful it is to not love your husband....

Twice, I was accused of having an affair. One was early in my marriage, when a friend in my ward came to my house to talk to me about her husband's flirty ways towards me. I laughed, and said I never took him seriously, that her husband flirted with all the women equally, and that I had an uncle who was the same way. I also told her that if she really knew me, if she was really a friend, she would know that I would NEVER commit adultery, even in my heart. I was not her friend after that. It turned out he was having multiple affairs with other women, and they got divorced. The second time, I was accused by the bishop's wife. I told her that I frankly did not like her husband, the Bishop, and that I could never be attracted to someone like that, in the first place. (He did confide in me that he was "enduring to the end" in his marriage. I answered that it was inappropriate to talk about his marriage.) I told the witch that I was proud of my morals, and just because I was divorced, that didn't mean I was immoral. I was a good example for my children! She and her daughter gossiped about me, anyway. Her husband advanced to the Seventies.

I was flabbergasted at how many affairs the men in my SLC ward were having! I was in the Single Adult leadership, and single women would come crying to me, about the married men who were after them: a married dentist a High Priest in our ward (he was eventually found out), the dirty-old-man attorney who lived behind us, who chased my friend around his desk at his office, the First Counselor in the Stake Presidency, who was a charismatic doctor (who was later caught in bed with our neighbor's 20-year-old daughter) and many more stories.

T.M.I!

Could this church possibly be "God's Work"?

After I left, my few remaining Mormon friends often complain to me about Prop 8, the Mall, and other irritations. They do not like Packer. One Mormon friend told me that if Packer becomes President, that she will quit the church. Her husband and one of her children are already out.

Posted by: absentminded ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 06:12PM

So um, how exactly does this work? You see, there's this really good looking redhead in the ward who is a very liberal mormon, but is already married. The rock in the hat thing has already been done and I'm fresh out of ideas. :D

I kid I kid. My wife would castrate me. Although when she makes me go to church with her I sit there and point out all of the hot sisters in the ward that I'm going to marry like Joseph. I have to live the law of the talents, per Joseph. haha. She smirks about it, because she knows the history is ridiculous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 06:17PM by absentminded.

Posted by: Dawkins ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 05:57PM

Q: How do you keep a Mormon from drinking all of you beer on a fishing trip?

A: Invite two Mormons.

Date: October 18, 2012 06:13PM

Where are the only places that two mormons won't talk to each other? The liquor store and the nudy bar! kyuk yuk yuk.

Date: October 18, 2012 06:16PM

Yes! I think deep down many people do not believe in the church. They just put on their happy face for church or when in the company of other mormons. It's strange, because I didn't even out myself, I was just a known heretic, and my sister came confessing to me how she doesn't want to be mormon anymore. She knew she could talk to me because I'm not one to judge, and I'm a liberal thinker. I think deep down we all want someone to vent to without recourse. Who is safer than someone who already doesn't believe if you are trapped in the morg? Anyone else could rat you out...

I look forward to such missionary moments :D

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 06:56PM

Yeah a couple of my TBM neighbors will swear around me a little bit and it just seems like they are trying too hard. One of them has talked about his drinking days and he is in the bishopric. His wife wears short skirts quite a bit. She goes jogging in the shortest exercise shorts and little tank tops with her hair down and bouncing around. It's like a scene from Baywatch.

Posted by: roxy ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 07:20PM

NO but I have confided, when i first read everything and came to some uncomfortable conclusions i went and facebooked someone i knew who went from a peter priesthood to a vocal anti-mormon, and just confessed everything to him what i read - how he was right - how i didn't know how to deal with it all - i joked to him he as my anti-bishop :0)

He said he has had many people come to him with similar stories over the years and he's happy to help :)

Date: October 18, 2012 07:41PM

"Anti Bishop"

Now that's funny!

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 09:19PM

One of my dear friends--my last TBM friend, actually--started confiding in me about her serious doubts after I told her I was leaving the church. She's ended up making major changes in her life that will allow her to go quietly inactive until her parents get used to the idea that she's out. I would have stayed friends with her regardless, but I'm thrilled that she's out. However, this means that I have no more TBMs in my life to amuse/exasperate me with their Mo-ness.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.