Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 11:51AM

Here's a link to a story about His Holiness Oaks telling members not to stock up on Ammo:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/54913284-180/apostle-lds-oaks-conference.html.csp

I usually figure I'm better off doing the opposite of what church officials recommend. The problem is that I'm not much of gun nut. Maybe I need to become one. If the leaders of the church start telling their members to give up their guns then I assume I'll really need one eventually.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 12:10PM

when they have to be TOLD not to join paramilitary groups, because you know darn well, they have! How does the Mormons' favorite saying go...."By their fruits (and nuts, apparently) ye shall know them."

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 12:19PM

wine country girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> when they have to be TOLD not to join paramilitary
> groups, . . .

You mean like the Nauvoo Legion?

Or does that refer to the Danites?

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 12:19PM

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 12:49PM

No. The Nauvoo Legion was an authorized chapter of the state militia. It was (at least, in theory) required to follow orders from the state governor or POTUS if called into action by the federal government.

Paramilitary groups are very different. They answer to no one.

I thought this message was very strange. It was a regional conference broadcast to Utah County. I never really considered Utah County to be a hotbed of illegal anti-government groups, but if Oaks had to talk about it specifically, there must be some reason for it.

Posted by: itsallclear ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 02:19PM

I know that in my parents' ward (Midwest) many men are buying multiple firearms and joining organizations like NRA and going out to the shooting ranges. These are not men that are looking to take up hunting. It's all surrounded by this belief that in the last days they are going to need to be able to defend their families/church. It's absolute craziness.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 02:25PM

Same here in az.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.