Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 09:34PM

We are purging our bookshelves of most of our books, but keeping the most damning ones. I have one that I picked up from DI a few years ago called Doctrines of the Kingdom by Hyrum L. Andrus. Just wondering if it might be worth keeping. Does anyone have any info on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 09:40PM

You can keep what's most important to you, and part out the rest to us heathens who wish to hang onto proof of just how bat-shit crazy TSCC really was!

Date: September 17, 2012 09:47PM

I don't have any that are personally important. My grandfather collected biographies of the prophets. I inherited his collection and just for sentimental reasons, I can't junk those. I'm passing them on to my baby sister, who didn't inherit anything from him, she was just a baby and I have 10 siblings.

We just want to hold onto the obscure ones, with information that might vanish, or be hidden.

A great place to get rid of LDS books is on paperbackswap.com. At least I can get something in return for the gazillion dollars I've wasted buying The Work and the Glory and other such poop.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 09:50PM

That's a very Mormon name and quite an authoritative title! If you keep it, in about ten years you can peruse it again and compare it to whatever is then being touted as official doctrine by the church. Who knows how the party line might have "evolved" by then?

Personally, I'm a big fan of keeping church materials whenever possible for historical purposes. Since I have nieces and nephews being raised as TBMs (under really yucky circumstances), I want to be able to show them how much church doctrine changes over time.

Date: September 17, 2012 10:07PM

Great, thanks for the info on this book. It seemed like it might be a good one.

Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 10:03PM

Too many people regret getting rid of all their garments as they make excellent show/tell props for nevermos who don't know about the jesus jammies. I'd pay 15 bucks for a pair of new clean ones now.

Date: September 17, 2012 10:06PM

Ha, I can still buy them as I have a current recommend until October. Unless they've flagged it. We ceremoniously pitched ours in a dumpster at a campground we were vacationing at. I have no regrets, don't plan on show and tell. I remember them clearly enough, plus they were getting old-ish.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 10:14PM

I have kept my temple robes & a pair of garments for precisely that reason. The look on people's faces when I show them is priceless!
I always wished though that I still had a pair of the old one piece garments as they were even worse, then recently whilst having a clear out, to my amazement I came across a bag full of them, so I picked out the best preserved ones to keep for show.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.