Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 12:48PM

In southern Alberta we of course have the Moridor (Stirling to Mountain View) and lots of TBM's in Lethbridge and Taber but also a very large and apparently growing "born again" population. Some years back the pastor of one of these congregations was preaching that Mormons weren't Christian, yada, yada, yada....Well, he was exposed as a shyster after it was learned he was running around on his wife and got fired from his preaching job. And then there's the Calvinist Dutch who believe in a very strict and strident interpretation of the Bible, and probably think the Mormons are heathens too.

Ron Burr

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 01:06PM

Hey Ron.

Ya, Born Agains are increasingly popular in S. Alberta, eh? I'm in Calgary.

Just finishing up raising three children. I was a little taken aback by the rise of the Alliance Church in particular, the faith in which our 'dear leader' subscribes, over their lifetimes.

Use to be Calgary's non-mormon church goers were fairly conservative members of the mainline denominations, Anglican, United, Lutheran and Baptist (not the American S. Baptist) and a good dosage of Catholics (enough to have a separate school board). Not so anymore. There are all kinds of Evangelical styled congregations going up, and the old denominations are getting emptier and rickety-crickety with older ol' faithfuls. Young families are opting for the newer, American style denominations, alas.

Then again, truly, S. Albertans is about the dumbest backasswarded people in Canada, and I'm including the Newfies. You and I excepted, of course ;^)

Cheers,

Human

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 03:05PM

I've been to one of those hutterite colonies in around lethbridge, and I think Thursdays are their designated shopping days in lethbridge. Stay away from Walmart on those days. I also saw the NG documentary last night called "meet the hutterites". I'm kind of intrigued by them. I hear they'll pay outsiders after they get an STD check to come in and impregnate their wives, not sure if that's entirely true, but it makes sense as it prevents inbreeding.

I took a picture of the kids once and told them to say "cheese". They just looked around in every direction not having a clue what a camera was.

Anyway, you think mormons were conservative and live a someone subdued lifestyle, not even close!

Also, pastors of other religion are all part of the same hypocracy. At least JS got that right, that there's a lot of infighting going along, mormons are no exception.

Posted by: Canuck Exmo ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 04:10PM

I wish someone in Calgary would do a peaceful protest outside the new Temple, and hand out literature. I mean, most people have noidea what the church actually does, teaches, etc. They would be well to be warned that it's just a business, looking for $.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.