Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 09:56PM

Garment wearing becomes even more burdensome when you are dealing with humidity. In some parts of the U.S., wearing even a t-shirt results in a body drenched in sweat. I have something to ask of those on high concerning this subject:

-Do you live in a nice house with working air conditioning which you can afford to run at all hours? If so, an extra layer of clothing doesn't mean a thing. You can't relate to those who peal down to their bare skin and are still sweating. You have no grounds to lecture on garment wearing.

-Do you drive around with your windows rolled down because your AC in the car doesn't work? Probably nor. You likely have a car with working AC stored in a garage, not out on a street.

-Does your office have AC? Likely does.

Given the above, you simply cannot relate to someone spending all day in high humidity, sweating in two layers. You don't feel the physical discomfort.

What would be wrong with a policy such as: "the wearing of the garment is a religious reminder of temple covenants. An endowed person should strive to wear it regularly.". That's it! Nothing more. Instead, the instruction church members receive on this commandment is the most detailed of any. Come on..does God really care how we keep a commandment about his underwear more than about any other commandment?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 10:06PM

I was thinking about this today when I was going yard work. How in the fucking hell did I do yard work in the summer wearing two layers of clothes? The underwear nazis are total goons to insist members wear that all the time. I'm surprised I didn't collapse from heat exhaustion on multiple occasions before. Or was it that my sweat soaked garmentors were protecting me from the harm they were causing? Hahahahahahahaaha.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 10:30PM

Or they don't live off the water grid in Australia and rely on rainwater which is used up quickly with all the laundry.

I remember seeing Mormon men wearing TG tops as T shirts around the house and not always bothering to cover up even when both my parents were visiting.

My father used to weld in the tops. I remember the splatter burns in the belly area of the garment if I ever did the laundry.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 04, 2012 02:23PM

That, and the fact they are "Lemmings".....

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: September 04, 2012 02:52PM

I remember being in Tahiti (beautiful but hot), wearing two sets of clothes, riding around on a bike all day, no sunscreen, etc. I can't believe I didn't keel over a few times, AND that I don't have complete skin cancer at this point.

Posted by: footdoc ( )
Date: September 04, 2012 03:29PM

How did I make it through two years in Brazil wearing cotton g's? I do remember them being constantly damp-moist and thinking that it was helping to cool me down but really it just made me feel nasty. I got a terrible rash/dry skin from not knowing how to properly wash my clothes in a bucket during the first transfer of my mish, only my companions melaleuca lotion saved me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.