Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 04:42PM

I found another blog post by an AP (male) missionary with pictures of him speaking at a "Sisters Conference."

So I googled it and it is a real thing.

http://hermanaweller.blogspot.com/2014/02/girls-onlyconference-for-hermanas.html
"This week has been a special week, I love it! To start this week we had a Conference for just the sister missionaries in our mission!"

Weird. More gender segregation is better I guess for LDS Inc. in their "missionary efforts."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 04:59PM

Why wouldn't an Elder out number 10 to 1 love it? Look at all those potential polygamous wives...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 05:35PM

If women are never ever allowed to be in charge of a meeting, even the catatonically devout will realize women are second class citizens.

OTOH, a woman can't be in charge of a meeting if a priesthood holder is present. So the all woman meeting is created, though the MP still "presides".

It's a charade.

Posted by: Not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 06:21PM

I was a sister mish in the mid 80s. I participated in 2 sisters conferences. I would have to say they were one of the great highlights of my mission. No kidding.

It's a shame we couldn't have had more zone conferences like the sisters conference. I think the normal zone conferences were more a chance for the MP to go around and verbally smack us all around a little bit and tell us to get busy baptizing more people. I always felt terrible after those things. But the sisters conference was more of a building up kind of thing.

One of them was actually very educational, with community speakers who talked about health, nutrition, and eating well when you have no money, no time, and a poorly stocked kitchen. Some of the things I learned from those talks have been useful throughout my life.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 06:23PM

Didn't know it. Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 06:32PM

Never heard of that. Of course, any such conference in my mission would have been pretty lame. There were ~140 missionaries in my mission, 7 or 8 of which were sisters. Our conferences typically only included 1/2 or 1/3 of the missionaries since the mission covered a very large area, so the sisters at the "sisters only" conference still probably would have been outnumbered by the MP and his assistants.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.