Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 02:55PM

... the World will teach them not to."

I saw this quote today from a TBM.

Two things about it struck me.

1. The whole Us vs. the "World" mentality.

2. How the quote totally belittles the idea that people can draw their own conclusions regarding religion. No wonder TBMs can't accept that someone has different beliefs.

To them people are either with them, or led astray by the world.

What about the people who look at everything and draw their own personal conclusions? Is that not valid unless it happens to agree with mormonism?

It really made me upset, the whole idea that if you don't "believe in Christ" then you were taught by "the world" to be evil... It's ridiculous.

All that aside from the insinuated brainwashing they might be doing to their children.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:00PM

What does "follow Christ" really mean? What instructions did he give us? I'm not talking about what other people claim Jesus said, just what he's quoted as saying in the Gospels.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:03PM

The most moral people I know were raised without religion.

Posted by: n. cognito ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:10PM

They're teaching them to follow Joseph Smith.
AND Brigham Young.

And "the prophet".

Posted by: TooLazy ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:14PM

This would be my point, exactly. No TBM thinks that any non-LDS Christian is "following Christ" or teaching their children to do so.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:18PM

They got one of the words wrong. You teach your children math. You teach your children science. You teach your children art history. And hopefully you teach your children some manners.

However,you indoctrinate your children with religion. You indoctrinate your children to believe in Christ. You indoctrinate your children to believe in that which you were indoctrinated in for no reason other than you were indoctrinated.

Passing on a religious agenda is not teaching.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:49PM

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:25PM

First, "the world" does indeed teach the gospel of the Ego (Ego is 'god'). In it, everything is propaganda for that worldview. The body is the main focus of that propaganda, and the bodily senses were designed to confirm that notion of reality. All transcendent spiritual traditions say similar things: this world is a dream of the body, but it is an endless labyrinth of repetitions and can be awoken from. We as egos have really no valid conception of what this "awakening" is, since we are like a sleeper having a dream and thinking "I am now asleep" (our present rational thinking) unaware that we are in a second sleep.

It's funny that "the people who look at everything and draw their own personal conclusions" may be bucking 'the world' in one sense, yet at the same time confirming its so-called reality and just making another interpretation of it.

Christ, Buddha, other avatars, carry the really radical message that we are NOT what we sense and think we are. Who is going to be open to that? At what point, if ever, do people say "It's all a pack of cards" and want to know who they really are, beyond ego?

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:38PM

When you confuse words like ego and god and world you can make any point you please,

Personally I am done with this type of double think where nothing is really said. It's so superficial.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2014 03:39PM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:47PM

"If we don't teach our children to follow Christ... perhaps they'll follow their own instincts, common sense and rational analyses, and we can't have that!"

Although I was never a Mormon, I was indoctrinated as a child with similar crap (Blueorchid is quite right about the right word to use) and I still consider it a form of intellectual child abuse.

I didn't teach my children anything about religion and neither did the education system here in France as it's strictly secular, yet they've grown up to be highly moral, nice people.

Strange, isn't it ?

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2014 03:51PM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 04:50PM

One of the signs of a cult is that it separates the world into
US and THEM. To a cult this is the main divide. A cult sees
itself as of supreme importance and that anything other than the
cult is at best secondary, and at worst evil.

Mormonism is such a cult.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 05:57PM

...the LDS church will tell them to focus on the temple and the prophet as the center of their worship.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.