Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 04:19PM

Hello all I was wondering if you personally knew any women that suffered from depression during your years as a TBM. I know most of the woman in my ward at one time or another have been on antidepressants including myself. I know what the statistics say and wanted and honest opinion from those who actually have been around others who were depressed while in Mormonism. I was on them for the past 20years but once I found out the truth about the church I was able to come off of them. It may sound strange and I don't blame the church for all of my depression but I have to say once I found out that I was good enough things looked happier for me. I just know a lot of the ladies I used to be around suffered from depression which is a sad thing in my opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 04:30PM

It's not just the women, I can promise you.

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 04:34PM

My sister has been struggling with depression and anxiety for years because she moved to Utah and became very TBM. I think if she had remained in Texas she may have not have suffered as much.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 04:55PM

Even though I live in an area where tscc is not big, I still knew several "sisters" who were on antidepressants and some in therapy. Knew one who spent time in mental institution. She was my first Bishop's wife. They both said it was satan taking power over her, because for awhile, she was unable to respond to anyone.

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 05:15PM

Posted by: Robert ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 05:12PM

When I was a young boy, there were several people who suffered from depression. One family was especially hit hard with it; the mom could barely function sometimes, and was gossiped about a lot in the ward. Her daughter's former in laws trashed not only their former daughter inlaw, but the whole family as well. It was clear from their physical countenance they were clinically depressed. However, the family was exceptionally kind to others and completely nonjudgmental.

What's odd is one of the most critical people, was a physician. He must have known depression is a mental illness and no one asks to be sick.

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 05:12PM

I have known many many people who have suffered from depression and suicide because of the church. I was one of them. For most of my adult life until about 10 years ago I was on antidepressants. Right before I finally left the morg behind forever I was taking three(3) antidepressants at the same time and still contemplating suicide. Once I left all that damn guilt behind I have not needed any chemicals to stay happy and positive. I've been off those drugs for 10 years and counting!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 05:41PM

Did the OP drink coffee after leaving TSCC? I am a man but found it worked wonders at eliminating depression. The depression was blood-sugar related and the coffee keeps it in balance for the same reason it substantially reduces the risk of adult-onset diabetes. It is not just the depressing nature of moism but also the effect of the WoW. Also note that depression should mean ro reduce carbs and increase protein - opposite of the WoW.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 10:26PM

I was one of those who ended up on antidepressants and had been suicidal at one point as a Mormon. Once I left, I was able to get off the antidepressants, and thanks to regular coffee, exercise, and loud laughter, I've been antidepressant free for 11 years now.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 05:03AM

I have PTSD, and depression and anxiety are part of that. I don't like to say that everyone is like me, because my depression was probably mild. But, I swear to God, my depression disappeared the day I walked out of the Mormon church for the last time. The words kept repeating in my head, "Mormonism is not God's work. These people have no power over me! My children and I never have to go here again!" I was elated, and have been happy, ever since. (Life has normal ups and downs, but I've been able to handle these in a pure and isolated fashion--without the Mormons making everything worse. Mormons add guilt, blame, and selling opportunities to all the tragedies in life. As for the joy, the Mormons can't bring me down with their distain for "loud laughter," and their jealousy of truly happy people. Our life is freer and better.

I can't drink coffee because of anxiety, which has always been a worse problem than depression. But, with therapy, and through understanding how the Mormons brainwashed me, I can identify my anxiety triggers. When I shout, "The MOrmon church is a hoax," I feel better, and the cult loses its mystery and power over me. The physical abuse has stopped. The nightmares have stopped. The fear of being imperfect, dying alone in eternity, losing God's blessings for me and my children--all these were empty threats. Mormons can be very mean. I honestly believe there is a direct connection between this terrible treatment of others, and suicide. My brother almost killed himself after his mission.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.