Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 12:56PM

For those who are not afraid of summoning up demons (or the King of Hell himself), I can tell you that you don't have to buy a ouija board to experiment with it. You can make your own. I've always made my own.

Take a piece of white poster board (or even white butcher paper) about 18" x 18" and write all the letters of the alphabet (about 1 inch tall) and the numerals from 0 to 9 in a large circle. Somewhere within the circle write "YES" and "NO" (and, if you like, "MAYBE" and "DON'T KNOW").

You can use anything for a pointer (or "planchette") that is smooth on the bottom and large enough for two to four fingertips. A bottle cap works fine. Put it on the board, which is on a table with two to four participants sitting around it. Everybody puts a finger tip in the bottle cap. Do not rest an elbow on the table. The arms must be free to move.

One person should have a pad of paper handy to write down the letters as they are pointed to. It can be someone with a finger on the pointer who can write with the other hand, or someone else who is just watching.

You can start by addressing whatever "spirits" might be present (whether it is "spirits" or something else, I don't know, but it's the usual term used): "Is anybody here? Is someone present? Please, if you can, let us know that you are here."

Sometimes it takes a while for the pointer to "warm up." It sometimes moves aimlessly around the board. It is important that the participants follow it and allow it to move.

If it doesn't work, you can ask it why. It will then sometimes point to one of the participants who is inhibiting it.

My German landlady said that she never used the board during a storm. She had once done that, and the board responded (in German, of course): "WHO IS COMMITTING THIS DEVILISH BLASPHEMY?"

As I said on the other thread, NEVER trust the accuracy of any information you get from a ouija board. Or a Mormon prophet or patriarch.

If it doesn't work at all, get out the Tarot cards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 01:18PM

When I was a young man, together with some friends, we experimented with a ouija (why it's called oui-yes and ja-yes is beyond me) and after about 15 minutes talking to 'Bob' on the other side, he told us he was a dog. 15 minutes to see through the ouija and 30 years before I realised TSCC was a dog too.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 04:34PM

Correct pronunciation is "wee-juh", but it is often pronounced "wee-gee".

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 02:45PM

A friend had one in middle school, and got it out to play with another friend. I was supposed to meet at their house to play for the afternoon, and they told me the board was saying pretty much nothing but, "(my last name) is coming, (my last name) is coming."

Nice little boost to my middle schooler ego, let me tell you!

I played with it with them, but I don't remember what it said once I was there, just that it "knew" I was on my way.
LOL

I want to get one to play with as an adult. :)
I wonder if I am still important to the occupants of the ether, or if my friends were just excited to have me come over. :D
My last name is different now, lol!

Date: August 05, 2014 03:11PM

WinksWinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I want to get one to play with as an adult. :)

It only takes a few minutes to make one!

I should have said that an open manila file folder works, too. I once made one like that in a pinch, and it worked fine. A beer bottle cap served as the pointer.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 03:17PM

Tip: Drink the beer first.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 04:10PM

I love the question "is anyone here"? Lol

I had the same doubts...

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 04:40PM

Were we specifically told to stay away from Ouija boards? I can't remember. We used to play with them with neighbor kids.

Oh, wait. I do remember a story about missionaries playing with one, along some prospects, and inadvertently calling up Gadianton. I'm sure that's apocryphal.

We just used it to ask who our boyfriend might be… It never said.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 04:45PM

As a child, some cousins and I played with the Ouija for a few days. It did move and give us answers; it was NOT us pushing the pointer. We got spooked out and put the thing in a closet and didn't take it out again. I've heard that it could be some kind of energy or pulses from our bodies making it move. I don't know if that's possible or not.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 04:51PM

I had a Ouija board, but I didn't use it much. I got better and quicker results from my Magic 8 Ball.

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 04:58PM

When I was a kid, my mother and I played around with a Ouija board for a while. We got some interesting answers to the questions we asked, most of which we could confirm.

We decided to change the "game" a bit. We wrote numbers 1 - 20 on slips of paper, folded them up, and put them in a box. Then we'd draw one out, put it on the table beside the Ouija board, and ask what number it was. Usually the planchette would go to the digits indicating the number in question. Sometimes it would spell out the word (s-e-v-e-n, for example). One time it spelled out o-w-t. It took only an instant to realize that was "two" spelled backward. My mother decided to ask the Ouija "Why did you spell it backward?" The planchette then spelled out "j-o-k-e". My mother got up from the table and never touched thing again.

Date: August 05, 2014 06:25PM

Oh my Gawd people, everyone knows the ouija board is "of the devil"!

Even more "of the devil" than playing cards, Halloween masks in the chapel, or woman's lib!

I can back that up by citing numerous urban legends.

Posted by: boydslittlefactory ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 07:25PM

Many years ago my mother purchased one. She and I would operate it and it gave some very suprising results. She completely swore that the thing moved on its own. My little secret was that I usually was responsible for the answers. She never did figure it out and I didn't have the heart to tell her! LOL

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 07:43PM

I've seen experiments done with them on TV. As soon as the participants are blind-folded, so that they can't see where the planchette is going, all they get is nonsense. It never spells out anything intelligible.

(Of course people without blindfolds were standing around the table to record the results).

Date: August 05, 2014 07:54PM

Greyfort Wrote:
> I've seen experiments done with them on TV. As
> soon as the participants are blind-folded, so that
> they can't see where the planchette is going, all
> they get is nonsense. It never spells out
> anything intelligible.
>
> (Of course people without blindfolds were standing
> around the table to record the results).

I saw a video of an experiment like that. I think it was Penn and Teller.

Obviously, whatever is making the planchette move (whether it is the people with their fingers on it or something else) must use the eyes of those people. So?

The planchette wouldn't move at all without their fingers touching it. Why object to their using their eyes as well?

I'm not trying to make more out of it, but I don't think it's explained away as easily as some think.

Date: August 06, 2014 04:39AM

Why would fingers be necessary?

Why wouldn't the planchette move without all their fingers touching it?

If the "Spirits of the Dead" can cause the "matter" of the fingers to move, why couldn't they also cause the "matter" of the planchette to move without the fingers?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 08:23AM

RPackham Wrote:

> I saw a video of an experiment like that. I think
> it was Penn and Teller.

Penn & Teller on Ouija Boards:

pt 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykvd__Wv9po

pt 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA5uYhXpa-E

pt 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1YmEkCJ87s

Date: August 05, 2014 08:00PM

If whatever force controlling it can control your eyes and your hands to move where it wants to go, then why can't it just move the planchette all by itself? Why couldn't it guide your hands even if you were blind-folded?

Have you ever noticed that if you stare at something off to the side of the road, your car will start to move that way too? Your muscles would tend to push the pointer wherever you're looking in the same way.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 11:42PM

wouldn't it be EASIER to do that without having to drag around a few hands, too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2014 11:42PM by imaworkinonit.

Date: August 06, 2014 04:41AM

Sorry Greyfort.

I posted my reply before reading your post.

I said the same thing!

Great minds...

Posted by: bishop Rick ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 09:23PM

Ouija, Tarot, yawn.
So Richard Packham, darling and hero of the exmo community since the early days outs himself as just another woo-enraptured airhead.

Note to enlightened exmos: Not everybody who criticizes and exposes moronism is worthy of our deep intellectual respect.

Best regards

Date: August 06, 2014 07:35AM

I've just heard stories of things flying off shelves, or flying through rooms, objects being moved and even chairs being stacked where paranormal activity is found. So why not a moving planchette?

Posted by: cienfuegos ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 10:14AM

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 11:09AM

Why doesn't it work with just one person?

Date: August 06, 2014 12:09PM

PapaKen Wrote:
> Why doesn't it work with just one person?

I was wondering that too.

Posted by: Good Clean Fun ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:08PM

Fun thread. My mom took very seriously the role of instilling fear of the devil and his minions. I recovered from it when I was about 30, reasoning that with my shaky faith in my religion (I was still very orthodox), if Satan and his minions were really a threat, they'd stay the hell away from me because they wouldn't want to confirm their existence. And they have stayed away, so you know they're not only real, but mildly clever, too.

Mom told us about her friend asking the Ouija spirit if it loved Heavenly Father. The whole board spun around and burst into flames. Woah! And that's why you should never talk about or even think about evil spirits.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.