Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 01:06AM

Yeah, but did they know WTF was going on in the temple? I'll bet if they knew and thought about it, they'd still have their teeth. Just saying...Boner

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:08AM

to help build a temple in Brazil. They might have known.

Somewhere there is a picture of what, presumably, is Faust's hand full of fillings and partial plates. Disgusting.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 01:11AM

Some movie from long ago. Slaves building Egyptian pyramid. Slave is injured, thrown in front of stone block being hauled to be crushed and lubricate the skid.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 05:35AM

Just a historical note: all signs are that the Egyptians who built the Pyramids were well-paid, valued employees.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 03:16AM

It is awful. I remember once a publicity photo of a little boy giving his jar of saved pennies to Gordon Hinckley. Gordy gladly took the kid's money, and mentioned that all donations are appreciated.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 03:37AM

and of course guys, mormonism is not a cult. sure. yeah right.

Posted by: Goebbels ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 01:41PM

Nazis would be impressed.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 02:53PM

What's this, the Dauchau temple?????

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 03:03PM

"He said that he had purchased some of the gold fillings for more than the market price to share with congregations the nature of the sacrifice made by these members."

WHAT?! Faust bought some of these fillings to carry around and show congregations? Maybe he could have just pitched in to the temple fund and let the poor members keep their fillings!!! What a f*&$ing prick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 03:07PM

And not to be outdone, all the other congregations pulled their teeth.
One more logical conclusion not thought through by the lords annointed.

Date: August 06, 2014 12:10AM

When some people were like, "WTF, FAUST?!?!" he came up with the, well, I bought them so, like, they'll be okay, because I gave them money and shit.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 03:03PM

...from abscessed teeth.

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 03:14PM

All these faith promoting stories are for one purpose. To make you feel guilty for not doing more for the church you lazy pathetic unprofitable waste of a member

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 09:28PM

I am ashamed to say that I was moved by the stories of sacrifice and dedication when tbm.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 10:20PM

I'm still moved by the stories of sacrifice and dedication but not for the same reason anymore. It makes me so sad (and angry) to see a multi-billion dollar corporation take advantage of its members who very often don't know any better. Then it displays their sacrifice as a souvenir.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 11:52PM

LDS doesn't have a lock on the giving and guilt market.

Went to Catholic Mass at a different church than the one we belong and there was a guest speaker on the program about sacrificial giving.

One tale of giving was a single mother, raising three kids and holding a minimum wage job had pledge $20k over a two year period.

That struck a chord with me, a full-time minimum wage job around here would gross about $20k a year, before deductions for social security, etc.

If this woman can provide housing, food, clothing, medical, etc. for 3 kids and herself for $10K a year, she can teach us all a lesson.

Posted by: mushinja ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 04:51AM

So, as a result:

Poor man has no fillings and no money.

Wealthy Faust has poor man's fillings.

Wealthy church has wealthy Faust's money.

In other words, wealthy Faust made a contribution to the wealthy church, and, in an entirely unrelated transaction, Faust took the gold fillings from the poor man's mouth. What is the lesson we are supposed to learn from this?

Posted by: cienfuegos ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 10:16AM

how that tooth was pulled.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 01:23PM

I wonder if the poor toothless people felt screwed when they finally entered the temple.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 01:26PM

Dental gold is worth a lot more in your mouth than on the market. It is mixed with other materials to make it work as a filling. It would be incredibly painful and require a dentist to remove it, which again would cost more than the metal is worth.

If they didn't replace it with another filling, their teeth would decay and they would be at risk for infections. We now know that dental caries can cause heart attacks by introducing infections into the bloodstream.

That's a lovely story of sacrifice, but like most faith-promoting rumors, it is more fable than fact. Like the Book of Mormon itself, it just doesn't hold up well to rational scrutiny.

Date: August 06, 2014 03:20PM

holds up to rational scrutiny.

We're not living in a rational world w/r/t what people do and have done to prove worthiness.

On Stupid Phone right now. I request your patience while I try to find the links.

Posted by: ain't got no name yet ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:37PM

We were short of money and DW insisted that I sell a gold crown that the dentist had recently pried out of her mouth. I checked and it was only worth between $25 to $30. The $2000 price to put it in her mouth did not mean it had a lot of useful stuff in it. They are far more valuable in your mouth than outside. This could just be another one of those bullshit stories made up by LDS general authorities, like Monson's widow bullshit, right up there with Paul Dunn's bullshit.

Bullshit.

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 04:18PM

It is very inspiring to see the very poor willing to give of what little they have for what ever they believe.

However, it is totally disgusting to see the very rich wealthy church accept the donation from the very poor.

Since all the tithing money is used at the churches discretion and pooled together for any purpose, I like thinking that the money taken from the very poor is used to buy stake dinners for the wives and apostolic a** hat husbands on a church owned credit card. It helps me sustain the contempt I have for those special witnesses of the "Name" of Jesus Christ.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 05:03PM

Yeah I'm kind of wondering about the authenticity of this story. Pulling a tooth costs money. Then you're left with a gaping hole, which could get infected, plus it can cause your other teeth to become misaligned. Not to mention it's painful. You can't just pry fillings out either, without the tooth eventually crumbling and causing a lot of pain.

If they had bridges and whatever made from gold, those are very expensive to have made. Why would you destroy hundreds/thousands of dollars worth of dental work for $20?

Something doesn't quite make sense here.

Date: August 06, 2014 09:48PM

That's the picture I remember. This link went up in 2010ish. Not sure if links are borked. Still on stupid phone.

http://ifightthedj.blogspot.com/2014/08/joseph-smith-was-gold-digging-con-man.html?m=1

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 06:44PM

If it's a true story, it's a sad cult tale of manipulating the groundlings to *pay up*, if it's a FPR, then it's a lie to manipulate the groundlings to *pay up*.

Either way, pay up!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 03:11AM

what kind of organization would encourage people to sacrifice their DENTAL work?? What does that say about the organization?

Ever since I heard that one, I made a point of having any new fillings made with enamel. NO GOLD ON THESE CHOPPERS!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.