Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:05PM

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2115610,00.html

Correct me if I'm wrong but many mormon women get encouraged, coached to be a good wife, mother to many kids and a SAHM.

Many women here have told stories of being discouraged from, coached, even chastised for wanting a career...

How is it that Mormon-royalty Mitt Romney's mom got to run for the Senate and still be a good "wife"????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:07PM

I'm no TBM, but IMHO you answered your own question in your post: Mittens' mom was Mormon Royalty (just as he is). The rules are different for Royalty.

Date: July 26, 2012 10:08PM

Or, um, was I being dense again and your question was to get TBMs thinking? [slaps forehead and pours a glass of chardonnay]

Date: July 26, 2012 10:13PM

Correct.....and don't spill the wine.....

If this is good enough for Romney's mormon family...it's good enough for A----N----Y mormon family....

Date: July 26, 2012 10:15PM

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:09PM

LDS Inc keeps getting more and more Orwellian.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:10PM

Encouraged vs enforced are different things. I'm sure she was pressured to do otherwise - if not directly at least very strongly indirectly.

Date: July 26, 2012 10:15PM

Was she shunned or disfellowshipped????

I doubt anyone here knows...BUT many have had experiences with draconian and over-zealous church leaders who have
done w-h-a-t-e-v-e-r- was nessecary to keep the rank-n-file inline...

Date: July 26, 2012 10:18PM

true

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:32PM

In my Stake, except for the wives of the richie-rich Bishops and StakePrez, there were very few women who did not work. Those who did stay home were always pushing crafts or avon to help make ends meet. There were always the conceptual lessons on how the SAHMs were the last lifeline of society, but nobody ever really pressed the issue because reality speaks much louder.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 11:00PM

First of all, you probably won't find any TBMs on here to answer your question. This is a forum for exmos and they rarely come here unless they are trying to defend the faith or troll.

Also, I have no idea what an SAHM is and I don't have a subscription so I can't read the article. :(

However, many Mormon women do work and suffer no social repercussions for it. It really depends on the area they are living in and how orthodox and strict their ward and family are.

This really isn't a royalty thing, but rather, a family hobby and choice. The Romneys are businesspeople and politicians. They would probably consider it a greater honor for her to run for a political position than to stay at home.

When you start thinking of Mormonism as black and white things stop making sense. Don't forget, they are people too and are as intricate as anyone else.

Date: July 26, 2012 11:12PM

Stay at home mom

Date: July 27, 2012 01:18AM

YOU stay at home. I'm not your mom either.

So demanding...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 01:26AM

Or the real thing? Congratulations for making me unsure...

Stay

At

Home

Mom

And the easy explanation on this one was that by 1970, Lenore Romney's children were raised...

And at the time, the church was catching heat on two issues, blacks and women's rights... Her visibility helped defuse the latter...

Date: July 27, 2012 01:43AM

"Congratulations for making me unsure..."

I do my part. :)

Though, I think I missed something. There might be a greater point out there of which I'm oblivious to.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:19AM

But you get to bend the rules if you are a positive public figure. THEN you are a celebrated mormon, whether male or female, because you make the church look good. You are letting your "light so shine". You also get to bend the rules of modesty and working on Sunday. (Think Gladys Knight, or Steve Young). And I'm fine with that, because those are stupid rules, anyway.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 01:14AM

The years I should have, could have, would have been in college, I spent getting that idea beat out of me by church and family. The mere mention of wanting to do anything but be a mother was considered a sin. A BIG sin.

When the women of the church in SLC would get called into the upper echelons of mormon callings I would get pissed. Why? Because they would go through the list of their credentials. This degree, that degree, this job, that job, AND they had 10 kids! That's when I realized I'd been conned out of my true identity.

They were from families of mormon royalty. They could do it all and have it all. They had hired help. I don't care who you are, you don't have 10 kids and be RSP of all of mormondumb without some hired help. They were collecting degrees, and accolades, while I was collecting guilt and depression.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.