Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: KC ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 10:42AM

I was just on a message board I was sickened by the responses of LDS people to the tragic events in Japan. Multiple references to "well, this is why we follow the prophet and have food storage, hope the members there in Japan followed the prophet."

What is it with this mentality?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corrodedinnervessel ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 10:51AM

But seriously, if that burning heap of flotsam is actually your house, I somehow doubt a bucket of wheat in the submerged basement a kilometer back is going to help much.

Posted by: The Later Day Dude ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 04:15PM

on the bright side... once the wheat sprouts, you can mix it with some water, hops, and yeast and have the start of a good beer.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 10:53AM

But you are right, what a selfish unsympathetic, uncompassionate, stupid reply.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: March 12, 2011 07:14AM

At this point, it's not a matter of doctrine but just preparedness. For those in neighboring areas with houses intact, all the way to Tokyo (about 190 miles), power may be out or sporadic and stores out of food and unable to receive deliveries. A friend in Tokyo noted a run on the supermarkets that were open. As in any natural disaster, there are many degrees of hardship, but the media focus only on the most dire situations.

Date: March 12, 2011 10:20AM

There is being prepared and there is being stupid. I can make it for about a week with what I have on hand. If it takes more than a week to get food stuff to the area I am in, it is likely that I would not be able to defend a year's supply of food anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 10:22AM by MJ.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 10:55AM

so much for compassion.

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 11:04AM

if they are trying to "make sense of it in their own way" that is just insensitive no matter how you cut it.

I have a friend on FB post that she wished it would hit where people who want to fly planes into our buildings instead of "poor" people. *sigh* it made me mad and I commented back that that is ridiculous. That she would be condemning innocent people and that if that is the case of where disasters hit then there would be alot of disaster in this country too because hate isn't centralized. What makes me even angrier is all the people who "liked" her comment *sigh*

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 11:08AM

...just in case it never occurred to God to do anything.

Date: March 11, 2011 11:12AM

It seems to me that God either created this mess or stood by and let it happen. Either way, it is not someone I would pray to asking for help for the victims.

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 11:15AM

but it amazes me they think he created this for a reason but still pray to him...... whatever gets them through the day but definitely not for me

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 01:52AM

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 12:21PM

God - he's moved on to other projects. Tired of all the "give me" prayers and the "we are right and you are wrong" accusations from everyone and every religion. Personally, I still believe in God, and I think he has a sense of humor. How could he not.

"You, and you, and you, and you, and you - all f-n wrong. And yeah, the "F-bomb" is an okay word. It is only a word you morons."

Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 12:32PM

... and their claim is that only they worship the one true god correctly.

I think that would indicate we can put this whole disaster at their feet for accountability -- and funds for their Jesus-mall being sent directly to Japan to rebuild.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 06:55PM

I was wondering how TBMs would react. It's the truth that food storage would be useless in a tsunami. Garments probably wouldn't be of much use either. And I suspect a small vial of blessed oil would fail to prevent harm. Praying won't stop a wall of water. Maybe you could put a couple of CTR rings together and shout: "Shazam!" Then again maybe not.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 01:25AM

With our powers combined we are,"Captian Planet." I am not making light of the horrible disaster, but your response made me think of magical rings.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 12, 2011 12:47AM

Food storage when your home is carried away by water. REally helpful. And as for the garments. If any of the thousand who died were Mormons why aren't they asking "Why did they suffer and die?.....they had their garments on!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 09:26AM by honestone.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: March 12, 2011 05:55AM

If any mormons died in that disaster it will be because the lord wanted his special sons and dauhgthers by his side because they did so well and their mission here on earth was completed.

If any mormons lost homes, their livelyhood and loved ones it will be a test of their faith...

yuck..

it makes me sick!

That holier than thou attitude is enouhg to make me want to scream!

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: March 12, 2011 10:09AM

It seems to me that their Food Storage may not have been dependable in a tsunami. What crap.

Posted by: brokenwings ( )
Date: March 13, 2011 02:56PM

the gall of some people!!!! found this on one of the lds message boards:

"Maybe it was the wrath of God as a warning to the wicked?! If we don't choose to humble ourselves and follow Christ future devastating events very well may be required to humble us (and societies and nations)."

how dare they????!!!!!!

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: March 13, 2011 02:58PM

owwww... doesn't that just make your blood boil??

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: March 13, 2011 05:46PM

Complete lack of compassion. That's the attitude I see oozing out of Mormons.

I remember a Mormon kid talking about accidental killings of civilians in a war zone. His response was, "Why didn't they leave? I mean, it's the middle east. And the whole place is a war zone. Why do people even live there?"

I think ignorance is sometimes a defense mechanism. It helps people cope with tragedy if they think of others as less than human, or lesser humans.

That's what happens when everything becomes a competition. Mormonism tends to turn everything in to a competition. Mormons are better than non-Mormons, and some Mormons are better than others. Americans (actually, white Americans) are better than dark-skinned people who speak with accents or live where there is a lot of sand.

But overall, I think some people (not just Mormons) say idiotic things because they think they have to make sense of a disaster. There was an earthquake, it caused a Tsunami, and some people died. That's all there is to it. It wasn't because some guy touched himself, young people were having sex without a marriage license, or somebody broke the speed limit. It just happened. We don't have to make sense of it. But by forcing ourselves to make sense of it, we come up with idiotic reasons.

Posted by: Yuko Cardon ( )
Date: March 13, 2011 07:53PM

I am from Japan and have been living in Michigan for about 11 years. I haven't been able to get hold of my family yet. I know they are out of water and electricity.That is all I know. Yes, I am anxious.

I don't think it happened because people over there are wicked or not Mormons. There are bad ones and good ones in every land.
But I believe there was God involved in this type of calamity for some reason that I can't comprehend, and I don't want to comprehend.
I am amazed to see the whole world is so compassionate towards our people when it usually does not happen unless there is a disaster. The Chinese hate us, but not this time. Some of my neighbor never speaks to me, but they are compassionate this time. Everybody is concerning about the people over the Pacific Ocean. This does not mean my neighbor will speak to me.
I feel people are more reverent when we face calamities. So, I think we have this type of disasters because we need more unity among ourselves, instead of hated and division. In this regard, perhaps, it may be a wake-up call.

I think people are praying for Japanese people that they can be comforted and be able to go back to the normalcy as soon as possible.They are not praying for God to solve this problem.I believe it is from their good intentions.

Food storage never works well in my country. Because we have small houses, we don't have basement, and not to mention our climate is too humid for storing food. All these factors contribute to not be able to OBEY the commandments. We stored some foods but basically Mormons over there ignore the commandments come from the mouths of old Americans who neither understand our culture nor speak our language, especially when it comes to food storage.
When I was living in Tokyo, I felt many of the commandments and teachings are so irrelevant to us. So all my friends and myself ignored the ones we can't keep. After all, those old folks in Rocky Mountains never knew and probably did not care.

You may want to hear what the Japanese Mormons think about the church, I know at least million juicy stories to tell.But I just end here for now.
Thank you so very much for concerning for my people. Do you know if the Mormon church will donate money to help them?

Yuko,a Japanese Exmormon woman who once served a full-time mission and did almost everything right, except the food storage. (forgive my broken English)

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 13, 2011 08:30PM

Methodist Social Relief is on site already and it is said they will be the last to leave. We are donating through our church and ALL money given will show up on the site. How about that Mormons????

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: March 13, 2011 09:27PM

Yuko Cardon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you so very much for concerning for my
> people. Do you know if the Mormon church will
> donate money to help them?

Sure, TSCC will donate some money and relief supplies but the amount of actual relief will pale in comparison to the PR value of the gesture. Just like in Haiti. Based on the local Utah and TBM PR you would have thought TSCC sent significant aid to the victims, in fact it was so small that groups doing independent accounting did not even note it and TSCC itself finally admitted that it was "bundled with aid through another organization".

The entire food storage hype has always been mystifying since any idiot could see that in the event of a catastrophe like a huge earthquake or tsunami where food was seriously in short supply, anyone with a supply of food would certainly SHARE it with his neighbors (if the food wasn't destroyed first).

Believe it or not I have had more than a few arguments with mormons who insist that they believe that because they were faithful to god's command and had food, that they were justified in protecting the food for their own family at the point of a gun if necessary, and that they would not share with the unrighteous and the unbelieving under any circumstances.

Astonishing.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 13, 2011 09:42PM

I'm from England and I find its a relegion all about america. I feel sorry for kids at scottish boarding schools that might end up haveng to do semenary ether all though the holadays or on one day at the week end.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 01:02AM

Please start a new thread and tell us your story.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 01:26AM

I meant Yuko Cardon.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 13, 2011 09:40PM

A church member today was saying "look at all those red cross members." so I just nodded and didnt beleve the next line "church members." I walked out after that.

Posted by: pkdfan2 ( )
Date: March 13, 2011 10:18PM

Yuko please keep us posted on your family. (You can tell us the juicy stuff later...)

When I see the old people it really breaks my heart.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 01:36AM

they think they know everything... did you ever stop to think of what happens when your neighbors around you notice that YOU are the only one doing fine, and have supplies? You get your house broken into and you get stolen from. People will rob you for survival, just like they will rob a store.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 01:49AM

This disaster has been very hard for me to watch. I'm prejudiced about Japan. I think it's the most wonderful part of Asia. The engineering that has come out of that country in the last half century is astonishing. In vehicles and consumer electronics alone--wow!

Now to see them battered by a mega-quake and tsunami, I don't know, it's just sad. I don't have anything clever to say. I just hope they get through this and move on.

Posted by: Taraalcar ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 02:26AM

This news is especially hard for me... I lived in Sendai for 2 years (not a mission) and am going back in 2 weeks. Most of my friends are ok but no one can contact my gf yet as the phones are still iffy.
And any reference to God in regards to the situation, particularly from the LDS church, makes me want to shoot something.

Posted by: AquaLeo ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 02:40AM

on a message board I read, someone posted when it was discovered that all of the missionaries were safe, this twit posted something about how amazing it was that God protects his servants..... such a callous remark and I reported it. But since it is an LDS friendly board I shall not mention *cough BBC cough** I was told that they were going to let the comment slide because it didn't violate any of the board rules.

What about having empathy and concern for your fellow humans? I guess that is only for their fellow LDS buddies, ERRRGGGGHH just thinking of that comment angers me!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.