Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 08:49AM

Many years ago, we were visiting (ex)wife's uncle in central Utah. The two families decided to have a picnic, so we loaded up the cars and went to a campground. When we got there, the wind was blowing pretty good, so the aunt suggested that we set up the food on the tailgate of their station wagon, instead of the campground table. She said that the food, etc., wouldn't blow away so easily from the wind (being somewhat protected by the car). Her husband looked at the car for a moment, and said to put the food on the campground table instead. Exasperated, she did what he said, commenting, "Well, you're the priesthood holder!"

That event stuck with me as being a very strange/stupid thing to say.

Your examples?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matilda ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:37AM

That depression was a buffetting of Satan........that a blessing would cure me ....that I did not have enough faith that is why the blessing did not work.......not to go to the doctor because if I did I would not ever be well. ......during a blessing that God would send an earthquake to let me know I would be OK. ..... I kid you not..... there is no phatom priesthood ......this I KNOW to be true.......

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 03:04PM

Culty, culty, culty!!!

Posted by: Minnie ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 03:16PM

reminds me of a member and her husband we had to dinner recently, she kept saying things like 'It's amazing the beautiful things that HF gives us that have no real purpose but to bring us joy' she was talking about butterflies

I kept thinking, it's amazing the way evolution has acted on certain insects to create patterns in nature that we assign beauty to.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 03:56PM

Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 04:07PM

And the foreskin...which we cut off at birth before we even consider the fact that the baby will one day grow up wishing they had the choice.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:35PM

wow, that got me hot. I must be evil to be turned on by that comment?

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 03:38PM

I remember newlyweds in my Provo ward gushing about the blessings of temple marriage.

Of course, everything is wonderful when you are 20 and you get to have sex everyday. But I don't equate that to being blessed because you got married in the temple. It's just a matter of having a set of interlocking parts and hormones in overdrive.

T-Bone

Posted by: abinadiburns ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 03:59PM

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 04:10PM

My cousin tell me each time I say I don't want kids until I can afford to raise them, "The Lord will provide". It pisses me off when he says it because he thinks having kids will be easy.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:17PM

They had 2 kids during undergrad and 2 kids during law school. His logic was if they pumped out the litter before he ever got a job, medicaid would pay for it all. And as far as taking care of the litter - WIC.

That's what he meant by God providing for his family. That entitlement attitude completely flies in the face of all I was taught about self-sufficiency by my parents.

But I do have to admit, he was a smart student and got scholarships so he didn't pay a penny for school. All their medical and food was paid for, too. So when he got out of school and started working, he was debt free.

For some reason, though, I can't imagine behaving like a weasel and feeling like a man. The two just don't go together.

T-Bone

Posted by: Biff ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 11:00PM

And these are the same types of idiots who would begrudge others from receiving any aid from the government. For whatever reason, they don't think THEY are receiving welfare...just those other people.

In my former ward, there were so many young families like the couple you mentioned. Often the husbands were young and unskilled, working shitty jobs and attempting college courses, while their wives were popping out kid and after kid. One wife remarked on her blog that her husband had found a part time temp job and was so happy because now she could be a SAHM. WTF???!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 10:21AM

T-Bone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They had 2 kids during undergrad and 2 kids during
> law school. His logic was if they pumped out the
> litter before he ever got a job, medicaid would
> pay for it all. And as far as taking care of the
> litter - WIC.

!!!!! >:@ !!!!!

THIS IS THE TYPE OF PEOPLE WHO ARE HOGGING THE SYSTEM SO MY FIANCE CANT GET HIS WISDOM TEETH PULLED! BBBIIIITTTTCCCCHHHHEESSSS!!!!

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 04:18PM

My sister in law said "I think Heavenly Father didn't say much about heavenly mother to protect her from people on earth speaking ill of her."

Posted by: jameswilmons ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 04:21PM

+1

Heard that one several times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 04:21PM by jameswilmons.

Posted by: odin ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 04:38PM

Which heavenly mother? I thought there was supposed to be lots of them!

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 04:55PM

Yes love that one...you know, because when I phone home I only ask to talk to Dad. Mom will understand of course that dad doesn't want any of the kids to talk to her, or about her. This is done to spare her feelings.

Date: July 18, 2012 10:22AM

*SNORT*

Posted by: goldarn ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 02:37PM

Loving Father == when your father demands that you venerate him, claim he is always right, love him with all your heart, threatens to torture you and never see you again if you go against his will, and won't ever let you talk to your mother.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:41PM

My TBM sis said this to me last night:

You made covenants to raise your children in a certain way, and you made covenants with your wife to live a certain way, you need to think about that.

Meanwhile she HATES her husband, and he HATES her, they are both miserable, no chemistry and they stay together because of the covenant. Really? You want to spend eternity with him? She answered, it will be different.

Good luck with that.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 02:30PM

Oh my! I know so many unhappy mormon women . . . I wonder how many hope they are assigned to another man??

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:51PM

Heard this one lately.. this ones a little uncommon but it show the mental state of some folks.

"I dont care if I found out Joseph Smith was a Murderer I still believe he is a prophet."

Posted by: matilda ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:28PM

How about the beauty "chose your parents and vice versa in the pre-existence.

I hated that when I was a teenager ....

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 09:55AM

Why would anybody 'choose' to be born in a family that displayed so much insanity as mine did? This is just one more of the made-up fantasies perpetuated by the LDS Corp.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 11:18PM

"You're lucky you were born Mormon." No, no, I'm not. I grew up in an abusive household, and that's not lucky.

"Everything happens for a reason." No, it doesn't. If everything were reasonable, there'd be no religion.

"You were valiant (white) in the pre-existence." I get so little credit for what I do, I don't expect any for something I can't remember.

"Deep down in your heart..." Oh, Jesus, don't start that one again. Haven't I had enough pain in that region?

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 12:43AM

if a missionary dies during their mission that is a direct ticket to the celestial kingdom no questions asked

Posted by: Minnie ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 09:46AM

or when a baby dies, they get to raise them in the Millenium.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 12:49AM

I KNOW...

fetch

I bear my testimony

you were the most elect, saved from the creation for now, when the need is most dire for faithful souls

do you need a blessing?

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 12:50AM

"I don't need facts or proof of anything, I just go with my feelings. The church gives me a good feeling."

Date: July 18, 2012 10:25AM

Thinking about hurting someone who hurt me before gives me a good feeling... should I do it?

Posted by: schmowned ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 12:53AM

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is the true church. I say this in the name of thy son, jesus christ, amen.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 02:34PM

Yes! That one bugs me like crazy.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 01:13AM

Righteousness. That makes me want to... eh, I've been faux-violent enough this evening.

"Depends on whether you want gross or net blessings."

"The Spirit dwelleth not in unclean temples." If my old SP is to be believed as one who can discern the spirit, epic fail.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 09:43AM

I had a friend who was a recent returned Mormon missionary ask me once what it felt like "to be at the bottom of society."

Then he went on to add, "You must be used to it."

Haven't been friends since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 10:05AM by liminal state.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 10:42AM

a friend said that Heavenly Father made this world out of other worlds. The bones were part of the composition of the other world.

Another statement of idiocy: "Have kids now! If you wait till you can afford them, you'd never have them."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 02:39PM

I know you still believe deep down.

Or--loved this one--"You'll know in the next life." The last time someone said that to me, I turned it back on them. They gasped.

Posted by: bvd ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 02:49PM

I know with every fiber of my being that the church is true...

Date: July 18, 2012 02:51PM

When the prophet speaks, the thinking has been done.

He was speaking as a man.

Tithing is a choice.

She is such a sweet spirit.

They are such nice people, even though they are not mormon.

You can't feed your family this week? Pray about it.

Well your answers that the church isnt true came from the adversary.

All you need to do is pray, read your scriptures, and go to church.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 02:54PM

Question to mormon: "Would you kill my children if the prophet told you to?"

Answer: "I would cross that bridge if and when it ever came."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.