Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 04:35PM

Since I have no intention of replying to this person's post, hopefully, this will be the end of it. I thought you would like to see how this person responded to being called out for his lack of consideration of others.

My reply is listed here:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,566472,566472#msg-566472

His response was:

The following is an observation I have made from all the recent comments and activity regarding certain inflammatory remarks prevalent on Facebook that attack people's faith and religious convictions. These comments are mostly directed at my children, who have read these posts with fascination, and for any other "seeker of truth." By "seeker of truth" I mean one who seeks to be a disciple of the author of truth, Jesus Christ. Perhaps it is because of my career, but I like to find application from the scriptures to our modern-day life.

In the Prophet Lehi's dream on the Tree of Life he saw many pressing forward to partake of the fruit of the tree, the fruit of which "was desirable to make one happy." In the dream there were also many who mocked those who partook of the fruit, and who pointed the finger of scorn.

Throughout scripture disciples of Christ are consistently warned against contention: Satan is the father of contention; he rages in the hearts of those who will allow him to do so; he stirs up the hearts of men to anger one with another. Contention is a damning sin, it will stop your progress in its tracks from partaking of the symbolic fruit of the Tree of Life, which is joy, peace, happiness, and love.

One of the ways the enemy of peace manages to stir up our hearts to contend with each other is by accusing. Every time I go to the Hill Cumorah Pageant and I see all those "anti-Mormons" mocking and scorning and accusing, I remember the words of John: "For the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night."

Since we believe we live in the last days, before the second coming of the Lord, then we know that the divide between good and evil will widen even more. A clear manifestation of this ever widening gap was described by Paul as seeing more and more of "false accusers," those who are "fierce, and despisers of those that are good."

There will always be those who accuse, find fault, mock, criticize, scorn. It is certainly a path that many do choose. My friends, do not go down that path. If you do, it will only bring into your life misery and sorrow. There is no joy in contention.

So, how do those who delight in partaking of the fruit of the Tree of Life, deal with those who choose to mock, insult, and "point the finger of scorn" at them? From Lehi's dream, Nephi simply says, "we heeded them not." Good advice to keep one focused on their eternal goals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 04:36PM by Mnemonic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hellrazor ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 04:57PM

I wouldn't reply either. There's no point in arguing with someone brainwashed like that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 05:02PM

It's not a "false accusation" if it's true. And the Mormons are not the only followers of Christ.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 05:02PM

I'd still hit the "delete friend" button so fast his internet connection would fry.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 05:11PM

He cannot answer, so he diverts and trivializes, while calling you, in his passive aggressive way, a servant of satan. Then he reaches those guilt laden arms to his children, saying do not listen, there is nothing to see here, head down, eyes on the rod and keep fighting, logic, good sense, and history to make it to the tree.

The English have a great phrase for these types.

"What a Wanker!"

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 07:52PM

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 05:44PM

Once again, it's ad hominem attacks. Nothing of substance; simply name calling and attacking your character. He still doesn't bother to address ANYTHING that's in the article.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:11PM

This guy lives in a black and white world with his own arbitrary distinctions imposed on which is which. Firstly he is deceived by a fairy tale that there's a god who is coming. So his first distinction is that if you don't believe that you are inherently wicked. Secondly, That gives him permission to call practically anything you do exaggeratedly wicked...especially protest his church which he calls "viscious" even though the majority of those who protest Mormonism do so conscientiously. Mormons typically overstate the persecution and understate the complaint. To them there is no legitimate complaint. If you're complaining at all you're being "viscious", "mocking", "scorning", and they ignore your complaint.
Complaining isn't just a right, it's a duty. Mormons don't credit their critics with any injury to complain about. It's astonishing really how they can see themselves as SO good and their critics as SO bad. It's a psychological
trap...xenophobia.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:23PM

That's a lot of words to say the key to happiness is to bend over and take it.

It is going to really suck for him when he realizes that the great and spacious building cost about 2-5 billion dollars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 06:24PM by The Man in Black.

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:27PM

I would make one reply and keep it simple.

"I like your use of the Tree of Life example. That's exactly what I'm doing, sharing what I've found to bring me peace and happiness. Glad you understand."

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 07:36PM

They need to see a reasoned response.

I dare say that contention is a friend to Free Agency (Free Will in the real world). Without contention how could the rights of the downtrodden ever begin the fight for liberation?

The description of Lehi’s dream could be interpreted thusly, “In the Prophet Lehi's dream on the Tree of Life he saw many pressing forward to partake of the fruit of the tree, the fruit of which "was desirable to make one (see the world as it really is)." In the dream there were also many who mocked those who partook of the fruit of (critical thinking, personal research and informed consent), and who pointed the finger of scorn (and to still heed the call to use one own agency and practice free thought).

This person accuses, finds fault, mocks, criticizes, and scorns in a condescending manner using scripture proven to be written by a man. He sets up a straw man argument of imagined enemies and uses “there will always be folk who don’t see things the way they should like us and our scripture says this would happen, see it says so right here, so that makes us even more right” to kill them with Gods supposed words.

He states “My friends, do not go down that path. If you do, it will only bring into your life misery and sorrow. There is no joy in contention.” Tell that to the entire nation of North Korea who are told that they are happy and where contention is met with torture and death. These same followers worship their leader while happily starving and staring right at the opulence of the upper leaders with awe and reverence. This because contention is not allowed.

Where would our country be without the contention over a myriad of conditions that have now been changed such as women’s and racial rights because someone had the courage to be the “contentious one”. He wants his children to “heed them not” like in Lehi’s dream. What child would you be more proud of as a parent? The one that refused to be told to be happy and stifle forever their courageous spirit or the child who stood up to be counted as the one who will not bend and reaches for something higher, changing the world in the process, or to go through life lemming like and being happy with a pre-planned life?

And by the way, “Good advice to keep one focused on their eternal goals.” Those eternal goals were invented by Emanuel Swedenborg and not the prophet he so worships.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 07:47PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:50PM

I sent your post to him as a private message. This was his response. The farce is strong with this one:

----------

Thank you for passing your friend's note along to me. I find his interpretation of scripture to be more "wresting the scriptures" to fit his own agenda. But, I know many who take that liberty. Personal belief doesn't change eternal truth. I wish you well.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 12:30AM

“I find his interpretation of scripture to be more "wresting the scriptures" to fit his own agenda.” He did the same thing to shower you with righteous condescension. And what is it with the “agenda” thing. Another straw man.

“I know many who take that liberty.” Really? Now why would that be? Folks at church perhaps?

“Personal belief doesn't change eternal truth” How ironic. If only he could listen to himself.

Many of us here use to be this guy. Hopefully someday a catalyst and a jump in personal integrity will get him to be honest and take the church to task as we did and ask himself “is the church true or not” and run all things church related through the lens of bald faced honesty. The “No put it on the shelf till the afterlife allowed" kind of honesty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 12:32AM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: Minnie ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 09:38AM

Brilliantly said.

Posted by: paulbot ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 07:37PM

If you want to respond don’t bother to get into a rational discussion as it won’t do any good. Don’t let him get under your skin because then he owns a piece of your mind. If you have to post something, make it dismissive, short and potentially confusing and then defriend him.

My favorites, “Look up Squirrel Busters” and “Does this mean we won’t be exchanging gifts on Ramadan this year?” But then again I may be far too blunt but hopefully this post brings you a smile.

Good luck and all the best to you

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 07:44PM

Don't let him get away with that.

His whole second response shows him as a fucking hypocrite.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 07:47PM

I'd just tell him it is my wall and I will post what I like. Nobody is forcing him to read the stuff.If it bothers him, he can delete you. It is that simple.

Posted by: hellrazor ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 01:14AM

I'd probably say something to the effect of "Hey, am I a preachy troll on your posts? No. So get out of here!"

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 08:08PM

What a condescending a-hole!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:38PM

The guy lives in cave, with that cave being the center of his universe, and everything rotates around it and him.

They think they speak with authority, yet they are oblivous to the other 99% of humanity and its beliefs.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:55PM

Pretentious because he's pretending like he's all spiritual and superior, when he's really just intolerant, controlling and rude.

Nutcase, because he's quoting scripture [scripture that he knows you . . . and 98% of the world . . . . don't believe in] on facebook to prove his point. As if that's NORMAL behavior?

Can't people just talk like normal humans? . . . like "hey dude, it irritates me when you post links that are critical of my religion, could you please stop?" Sure, you could, and should just say "no". But at least he (or she) could be direct and not try and shame you into conforming.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:25PM

Personally, I'd tell him I think it's cute how he used superstition, mythical figures and the made-up stories of a con-man to pronounce divine condemnation against you. Maybe you can counter by threatening to send Harry Potter, the Joker and the ghost of L. Ron Hubbard to kick his ass.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 01:21AM

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 09:33AM

Joker crippled Barbara Gordon by shooting her in the back, depriving many young adolescent boys of masturbatory fantasies of the delicious Batgirl (though inspirational, Barb's handi-capable persona "Oracle" is difficult to pleasure one's self to). So fuck him.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:49PM

I wonder how he'd feel about my Satan-blessed contentious fist shattering his jawbone. People who talk like that should be run over with heavy machinery. It's the LOWEST of that god awful church. Where's ilikemormons to preach to us how these condescending, sexually frustrated, self-righteous wastes of plasma are truly the salt of the earth?

(Yes, I'm being dramatic. No, I don't actually want to see them maimed and/or killed.)

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 01:04AM

"Throughout scripture disciples of Christ are consistently warned against contention: Satan is the father of contention; he rages in the hearts of those who will allow him to do so; he stirs up the hearts of men to anger one with another."

Uhm, you're the one who started this by calling out people for what they post on their wall. Sort of like punching someone in the face and calling them evil when they retaliate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 01:14AM by Strykary.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 01:39PM

I absolutely do not understand the rationality in using quotes and stories from your personal religion's texts to try and dispute some one who does not adhere to or believe in your religion.

Mormons do this ALL THE TIME. How do they not see how illogical it is? "My scriptures, which you don't believe are true, say that you're wrong. Therefore, you should be convinced that you're wrong!"

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 01:49PM

"There is no joy in contention."

Yup, pretty sure there wasn't much joy in Rosa Parks's life. How could she publicly defy the laws that were against equality for all?

And, I'm pretty sure ther wasn't much joy in Jesus' life. How could he teach things that weren't approved by those in power and thus ignited contention?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.