Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:54PM

If I am interpreting "The Handbook of Instructions" as it is written in the section defining apostasy, a total atheist who does not believe Mormon doctrine at all could state this to his Bish and would not qualify for church discipline as long as he/she did not talk to others or openly advocate against church doctrine.

Who thinks this is true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:39PM

Yes, this is certainly true. You can't be disciplined simply for not believe any more, as long as you keep it to yourself and don't "affiliate" with other atheists.

Basically, you can believe whatever the f*** you like, as long as you openly profess Mormon beliefs and pay your tithing, you will be left alone.

The sad part is that so many members do just this.

Date: June 29, 2012 05:13PM

Openly profess Mormon beliefs? I haven't done that for years. Doesn't seem to have affected my "membership." I don't consider myself a member, even though I still am one of record and go to church once in a while to apease DW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 05:13PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:40PM

It's how it played out for me in my early atheist days. No one knew so no one cared. The spirit does such a good job of informing them of these things.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:46PM

Even if you tell your Bishop, there is a pretty good chance he will tell you to pay, pray, keep quiet and obey. If you are married he will almost certainly use this to emotionally blackmail you for the sake of your family. Whilst he probably wouldn't consider you for a significant calling ever again, he would welcome the tithe dollars and rather you kept his attendance numbers up.

Date: June 29, 2012 05:15PM

I don't pay, pray or obey at all. Seems that they don't care, as long as I don't picket the building.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:02PM

That he saw it as a "red flag" but didn't see any reason why I could not serve a mission. I told him in my mission interview that I was struggling with atheism. (Actually, I was struggling with Mormonism.)

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:18PM

When I told my bishop I was an atheist he immediate took my temple recommend and told me to stop performing my calling. However there was no other action - for example he did not instruct me to stop taking the sacrament - and this bishop would have if he could have...

One clarification - it could be construed in your post to think you are saying that you can't be disciplined for any reason if you are an atheist whereas it seems you are saying that you can't be disciplined because you are an atheist.

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:40PM

When I first told my bishop about my complete and utter lack of belief in anything supernatural, including god, he said that he would contact the stake president about a disciplinary hearing.

I told him to go back and read the handbook of instructions, because lack of belief is not in the list of why have a disciplinary court. I never heard back from him again.

(Literally. Other than bumping into him when I was meeting someone at church for an Eagle scout board of review -- where he shook my hand and turned around and walked off -- he hasn't said a word to me in one year.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.