Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tired of the Hate... ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:19PM

I'm tired of all the bigotry and hatred people are spewing towards Kraft because of the Oreo rainbow story.

I'm glad to see someone come out in support...

http://www.facebook.com/SupportOreoCookiesForSupportingGayPride

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:22PM

I won't open the proverbial can of worms here - last time I did I got pounded into the pavement. But, I will say that some people don't support gay rights and gay marriage, but are not haters. Hate does not necessarily equate with having one's own moral beliefs. There's room for everyone.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:27PM

Most times it's very difficult to distinguish between hate and fear.

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:48PM

No, ignorance is another reason.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:50PM

Your right to "moral beliefs" stops where another person's rights start (like my right to swing a fist stops where your nose begins).

Don't like gay marriage? Don't get one. But don't stop someone else from getting one.

The kind of thinking that blinds a person into believing that what their morals are doesn't extend itself to hate or prejudice makes me very angry. We're not talking about whether or not you condone gay marriage. We're talking about equal rights. Not separate rights, equal rights.

I'm straight and not married (in a long term relationship) in part because to me what cheapens the concept of marriage is that it can't be between any two consenting adults. When that happens, marriage will be a word much more appealing to me. In all honesty, at the moment, the word marriage brings up many unsettling thoughts and feelin because it is so heated and I'm tired of people saying all of the hurtful things that they do about it.

I'm tired of the hate, too.

Disagree completely, but that's fine - to each his own.

No hate and no fear among many of those who do not support homosexuality - just a personal belief that it is immoral.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:30PM

Or is it only the human ones that you oppose?

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:32PM

How can you "not support" something that simply IS?

Do you not "support" reality or facts?

Date: June 29, 2012 05:39PM

Can I ask why you think it's immoral? I'd really like to know.

Date: June 29, 2012 05:28PM

You are no better than the bigots that used to claim "I have nothing against blacks, but I would not want my daughter to marry one".

Date: June 29, 2012 05:34PM

I think one of the reasons why so many of the hateful, and it IS hate, are having trouble with this is that they are sensing that they are losing. They have not been able to stop gay rights. More and more supporters are coming on board every day, the youth, even in their hateful religions are increasingly gay supportive.

Then to have such an icon of as the Oreo become a gay symbol, their heads must be about to explode.

Posted by: Well.. ( )

I don't expect everyone to "agree" with the gay lifestyle, but I DO expect respect and tolerance. I may not like rap music, for example, but I do respect the rights of those who make it, and those who listen to it.

Those who speak out against homosexuals, and against a company for making a picture of a cookie, for crying out loud, are bigots. That's not up for debate.

If someone said, "Black people are evil," they'd be drawn and quartered, but it's okay to say the same about those who are GLBT? Hell, no. That is NOT okay. Hatred is never okay.

Now, now - I knew this would happen. None of you want labels and meanness directed toward you, especially during your journey out of the church or in other ways, yet you're quite happy to label and trash others for their viewpoint? Not cool and not fair. It's rude too.

I am among those who have difficulty with gay rights and marriage, but I never overtly discriminate. I don't hate, I don't campaign against them, I just feel it's a moral issue. Many, many people feel the same way, but, because of comments and behavior like this, they're afraid to speak up. Guaranteed, there are a bunch on this board right now. You can't have it both ways - either you accept other peoples' points of view as you want them to accept yours, or you need to be able to take a hashing just as you dish out. If you want people to participate in this board and feel free to be themselves and really be able to talk and think about various issues you need to allow that to happen without the instant name-calling and denigrating comments.

Taking a stand on a moral issue can be tough and scary, but it is rarely about "hate", "fear", or being a "bigot". Just because we have left the church doesn't mean we have all swung liberal and are o.k. with any lifestyle choice. Again, we are all allowed our position and none of us need be or should be labeled as a "hater". I am very self-actualized and have thought through many things very, very carefully and deeply - I don't bow to public pressure and immature hurling of names and labels - I just feel badly that this kind of situation will cause others to remain silent out of fear of retribution for having a viewpoint and standing firm for what they believe. You want that respect - you must accord others that same privilege, whether or not you agree with them. I do for you, you know.

Date: June 29, 2012 05:41PM

All the relevant science says it is not.

You need to stop denying reality.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:42PM

How is being gay going to hurt anyone? With the exeception of the gay kids because they might be hurt by people that are intolerant of them.

Oh yeah, it doesn't.

Date: June 29, 2012 05:44PM

Because you refuse to learn the FACTS, the facts that your views are hate based and bigoted.

I laughed with the "overtly discriminate" as if covert discrimination is so much better.

Phttt.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:40PM

I can't believe there are still people who discriminate.

Myself--I believe it is IMMORAL to discriminate.

How are the gays hurting you?

As a therapist years ago said to me, "Be careful of your prejudices . . ."

Date: June 29, 2012 05:41PM

Never said they were hurting me - look at my comments. I think it's not a moral way to live - my choice, my feelings, my point of view. I knew this would happen - so sad. It happened before - Mikey took me to task and felt it necessary to apologize profusely later on. If you want open discussion and interesting conversations on this board you all need to make sure your own prejudices aren't showing and stop piling on people who have the nerve to disagree with you. Sheesh.

Date: June 29, 2012 05:43PM

And stop pretending that you are a victim.

Date: June 29, 2012 05:47PM

What he said.

There are 1500 animal species that have homosexual members. It is natural, it is a part of nature, it is who we are. To condemn us for being who we are is IMMORAL.

Keep in mind, before I bag this ridiculous and quite expected discussion. I never spoke out against gays - I simply pointed out, in a mild manner, that not everyone who disagrees with the gay lifestyle is a "hater" and the label should not be thrown at people willy-nilly. This is not a conversation about whether or not gays are born that way, blah, blah, blah - it is about how you all, though demanding respect for your own point of view, do not accord that privilege to others and descend to name-calling instantly. Sad day.

Date: June 29, 2012 05:45PM

I'm no victim, hela, and I never claimed to be. You're putting words in my mouth, as everyone else is - that's sad. I take a stand on an issue, stick with my beliefs, and everyone is apparently so threatened by that that the a**-kicking commences. Sorry, lurkers - this is what happens if you buck the tide on here. I rarely do and I usually stick to safe subjects - I'd recommend you do the same. Folks on here don't like it when you have an opinion that does not match their own.

Date: June 29, 2012 05:49PM

I'm asking you for a VALID reason why you have a problem with gays. I ask because I used to feel the way you do, and I know now how utterly baseless and wrong my opinion was.

The thing is, you ARE playing victim by repeating how you are being treated for "bucking the trend". You don't ghet to simultaneously PLAY the victm, then DENY you are doing it. At least give the rest of us the respect of not lying to us in Post #2 about wha we can plainly see in Post #1.

Cathy, can you articulate, even to yourself why you feel the gay lifestyle is immoral?

Date: June 29, 2012 05:46PM

Probably because you have nothing to support your own argument other than "gays make me feel icky".

Please, grow up.

If you're going to oppose something have a valid reason for it, or don't expect anyone to respect your views.

Date: June 29, 2012 05:46PM

You are saying that in your opinion gays should be second class citizens.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:48PM

That is what I got from Cathy's comments.

Posted by: CL2 ( )

I'll never apologize to someone for having a bigoted attitude towards gays.

One of these days someone you love will tell you they are gay.

Keeping gays from marrying creates situations like mine--come live my life and then tell me that gay marriage is immoral. Gays having sex with each other is no different than you having sex with your spouse. The only difference is a PIECE OF PAPER.

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:45PM

A facebook friend posted a compilation of negative comments from facebook, twitter and other social media sites the other day about the oreo gay flag cookie. Some of them just said something like "Well I guess I won't be eating oreos anymore, so sad." I think that is stupid but it is their choice to not buy cookies if they disagree with Kraft's marketing. Others were just awful talking about how all gays should be killed. Like someone said above I think these bigots do realize they are losing the culture war but they are going to keep fighting till it becomes socially unacceptable to voice you bigotry like what happened with racial discrimination 40 years ago.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.