Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: June 24, 2012 09:42AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: June 24, 2012 12:39PM

The Rabi would have better luck with getting the younger Benson out. Meet with the cartoonist at the peril of losing your beard.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 10:48AM

. . . to check out what a certain person of interest is writing about. :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 10:50AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: June 24, 2012 12:41PM

I read the article this morning (it's evening in europe) and knew it would be discussed on this forum (there was an earlier thread). I once attended a lecture by Michael Benson, about Truman and Israel btw. I remember the line "God sometimes works through a Democrat". He said that several times.

Date: June 24, 2012 08:25PM

. . . but Mike has not chosen to accept the invitation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2012 08:25PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: June 24, 2012 12:55PM

N,J, is so diverse, that there's a live and let live attitude about all the different religions. Plus, many N.J. born Mormons are absolutely wonderful, salt of the earth people, truly loving and generous. That gives others a good impression of the organization. Even when I would explain to people about my negative experiences with the Morg, most would think that I was exaggerating, and say that Mormons are good, family people. It was frustrating, at times. Some people believed me, though, and were shocked at some of the things I told them.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: June 24, 2012 01:20PM

"...Ever since Boteach learned that Benson’s older brother, Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist Steve Benson of The Arizona Republic, had shrugged off religion, the rabbi has said he’s on a mission to bring the older Benson back to the LDS Church."

He "shrugged off religion?" Nope: he ripped the monkey off of his back and continues to kick it coast to coast ...

Date: June 25, 2012 10:50AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 10:54AM by steve benson.

Date: June 24, 2012 08:20PM

As to my brother Mike, he's a real good guy. We have a close relationship--and just let me say that he has his own thoughts about things religious.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 07:00PM

...what role Moism has played in the decision of Michael to rehire, this past winter, as a director Wesley Curtis, former vice president of government relations, for SUU. Curtis was an apparent crony who was arrested in a motel soliciting prostitution from an undercover police officer last year in Cedar City. I don't have a problem so much with prostitution, but to do it illegally in a seedy motel when the wife is at home is repugnant, considering that he held a high, well-paid director position in a university where youth is involved. The legality is what bothers me, not the morality.

Curtis was rehired over dozens of other qualified candidates. If he needed a job, I am guessing all of the janitor positions were filled.

What did Mormonism play in this? I can't imagine a non-Mo being allowed back into university hierarchy after having to resign over prostitution.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,377929,377929,quote=1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 10:34PM by No Mo.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 24, 2012 08:36PM

“They’re a little too Mormon perfect,” he quips. “When Mormons walk into a hurricane, does their hair move?”

that is the Rabbi speaking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2012 08:37PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: Apostate J ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 02:02AM

I enjoyed the article. Its great to see 3 individuals with such different and diverse backgrounds all getting along and having a strong friendship. If the rest of the world got along like these three, we as a society would be better off.

Date: June 25, 2012 08:43AM

And blow smoke up each others ass while collectively blowing smoke up the reporter's ass and, therefore, ours as well. We already know the good Rabbi lied about trying to bring a lost sheep back to the LDS church.

Date: June 25, 2012 10:53AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 10:55AM by steve benson.

Date: June 25, 2012 06:30PM

I was trying to get a rise out of you, but failed. I think the only news bigger than Peterson going ex-mo would be you going back. :)

Hope you're doing well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 06:35PM by thingsithink.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.