Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quoteunquote ( )
Date: June 24, 2012 01:41PM

"Of Gratitude, and Its Expression"

------------------begin---------------------------
Since it has now been publicly announced, I suppose that I can break the self-imposed public silence that I’ve maintained, with only a couple of minor exceptions, regarding my dismissal as editor of the Mormon Studies Review, published by Brigham Young University’s Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, after founding it and directing it for twenty-three years.

This will be brief. I may or may not have other comments on the topic in the future, depending on how and where things go. I still want to be careful. I have no desire to injure either the Maxwell Institute or the University, and I’m not particularly interested in a glorious martyrdom. (There will, I fear, be grievous damage to the Institute, but it won’t come at my hands.)

It’s scarcely a secret that I haven’t received my dismissal enthusiastically. Thanks to somebody’s leak of two emails, this has already been all over the Web and I’m told it will soon appear, without my participation or involvement, in the mainstream media. I have personal reasons for being displeased, but this isn’t about my hubris: I know that nobody is indispensable. Much more importantly, I have deep concerns about the significance of my dismissal (and the reasons behind it) for the future direction of the Maxwell Institute. Moreover, on behalf of the roughly two hundred and fifty writers who have contributed to the Review over nearly a quarter of a century, I vigorously reject the insinuation that the Review was in a crisis that necessitated emergency mid-volume intervention, and that it now requires a post-Peterson “detoxing” period before it can be permitted to resume publication.

I was notified by the Maxwell Institute director, Dr. M. Gerald Bradford, of his desire for a change in the direction and approach of the Review slightly more than two weeks ago, just prior to my departure for Israel. He and I spoke for several hours, as I attempted to figure out precisely what he had in mind. I had some very substantive concerns, and was still rather uncertain about exactly what he was saying. However, he said nothing at that time about dismissing me as editor.

On Thursday, 14 June, though, I received an email, while I was in Jerusalem, notifying me that he was removing me as editor of the Review. It arrived completely out of the blue; I never saw it coming, though I now suspect, for various specific reasons, that it was the culmination of a long-prepared plan. Today, just slightly more than a week later, my removal has been publicly announced.

The formal statement mentions my associate editors — Louis C. Midgley, George L. Mitton, Gregory L. Smith, and Robert B. White — and pretty clearly implies that they, too, have been dismissed.

They didn’t even receive an email. The newly-posted statement on the Maxwell Institute’s website, I suppose, constitutes their notification and their thanks for, cumulatively, many years of service. (They have been absolutely wonderful.) One of them had written Dr. Bradford several days ago, asking whether he was to be canned along with me, but received no answer. Another called Dr. Bradford by telephone, but his call was not returned. One is traveling in Europe without Internet access, and still knows nothing about any of this (though his earlier calls to Dr. Bradford, regarding a matter that now seems to have been related, also went unanswered). My own emails to Dr. Bradford received no response, and their receipt was never even acknowledged.

For those of you who may be managers in either the public or private sector, a word of counsel: Don’t treat your employees this way.
-----------------------end-------------------

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 24, 2012 01:51PM

WOW... I don't know where to begin.

If, indeed he was canned "out of the blue" as well as others in the group of authors, and the leadership is not answering or acknowledging emails... well, that's pretty shoddy for any organization.

I initially thought this was a long time coming, and I may still be correct, however, Mr. Peterson didn't see it that way.
He seemed surprised, confused, and disappointed in how things were handled.

Why is that, I wonder.

My question is -- what is he going to do now? He has youtube lectures on line, and lots of published articles.
Will he start his own group?
I'm not sure if this was a paid position or not. I thought it was more of a volunteer organization.

Interested to see how others interpret the letter.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 12:29AM

. . . if not cruel.

I recall how, when interviewed by a newspaper reporter for the Arizona Republic (Paul Brinkley-Rogers) on Mormon Cult's brutal treatment of dissidents known as the "September Six," Midgley dimissively referred to Lavina Fielding Anderson (who was excomuunicated) as "mousy."

The rats at FARMS/Maxwell have got their come-uppance, even before they could abandon their sinking ship.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 12:56AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Bystander ( )
Date: June 24, 2012 11:46PM

Thanks for posting DCP's response.

Yes, it was incredibly poor management skills to do what Bradford did in the way that he did it. He sounds completely anal. In fact, he sounds like a major ***hole.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 08:41AM

Danny showing typical Mormonspeak here. The story always fits some kind of canned narrative. Sometimes he knew it was coming for months, sometimes it blindsided him like a child on the counter with a frying pan. As long as the story gets that perfect dramatic arc in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 08:41AM by flyboy21.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 09:23AM

You only know how DCP says it went down.

When was the last time you believed something he said?

Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: June 24, 2012 11:50PM

Sounds like Bradford is on the fast track to becoming a General Authority...

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 24, 2012 11:55PM

"It arrived completely out of the blue; I never saw it coming...."

Yet in his initial response email to Bradford, he says his wife warned him that it might happen.

Make up your mind.

Posted by: scarecrofromoz ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 12:17AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 12:12AM

Gone are the days when employees were never fired except for gross misconduct. This is 2012. Employees are mistreated, downsized and fired every working day. Welcome to the real world, DCP.

OTOH, nothing prevents him from publishing on the web. He could even potentially start a another journal if he wanted to, especially since he seems to have a pipeline to potential donors.

Posted by: openeyes ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 12:21AM

Sounds like Dan will be on the other side of TSCC soon. The paradigm shift will be interesting to watch, hopefully he keeps people in the know.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 01:01AM

I guess Brother P. has to ask himself whether his leaders were not inspired (and support them anyway) or whether he was not listening to the spirit.

lol

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 08:52AM

If anybody deserved to be treated this way....DCP's name comes on top. He hurt numerous people during his reign, mostly intentionally.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 08:58AM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 09:17AM

An splinter sect, another "Review"? The only other alternative is to pull a St. Paul and join us. He has zero credibility now that he and everyone near him have been labeled as doctrinal lepers.

That would involve him seeing that the Mormon Church does not practice Christianity as Christ taught it, that it has become an actual monster which cares nothing for its member/employees and discards them heartlessly.

And to realize that he never cared about that until it happened to him and his team: the Peterson Five.

Step One: Drop the middle initials, guys, it posing and doesn't really add any weight to your contributions.

Step Two: Repeat every day while shaving, "I am a man among men, no better, no worse."

Step Three: Get a bumper sticker for your car-- TRUTH MATTERS.

Step Four: Start posting on RfM and we will help you deal with your TBM family as you go inactive.

Feel free to use truthmatters as your screen name. I think it's available...

Anagrammy

PS. And when people ask your wife why you left, she can say, "He was offended."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 09:20AM by anagrammy.

Posted by: gannosu ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 09:28AM

Step five: Admit to himself that magic rocks don't work, never have, never will.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 10:03AM

Amen!
Let Saul become a Paul.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:08AM

Would becoming like Paul be an example of being a glorious martyr? The Saul/Paul analogy doesn't quite work for me here. Saul was a tax collector used to take persecution for the government. I guess some people revel in the drama of having enemies and Saul saw greater ego gratification taking on the persecution of defending Christianity by becoming Paul?

The mention of the word martyr implies that Peterson feels the church is making him suffer for his beliefs?

He has defended his beliefs to those critical of the church. Now the church has decided his methods are not getting the results they want. By Daniel's discription they have shot him in the back without warning. Although he did get to defend that his strategy was the mission handed to him by Elder Maxwell directly. Maybe Maxwell was speaking as a man? I am empathetic that Peterson does not want to be an inglorious (disgraced) martyr for the cause. And he probably does not want to take up the church as his enemy. So although he feels somewhat martyred....... not sure where this leads

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 09:25AM

quoteunquote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Of Gratitude, and Its Expression"
>
> ------------------begin---------------------------
>
> Since it has now been publicly announced, I
> suppose that I can break the self-imposed public
> silence that I’ve maintained, with only a couple
> of minor exceptions, regarding my dismissal as
> editor of the Mormon Studies Review

email with 18 cc's as a minor exception

What would a major exception look like?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 10:08AM

Something tells me the church wishes they could have just made Peterson vanish in the middle of the night.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 10:15AM

That would have taxed even their Band of expert Danites.

Do you know how hard it is to get rid of something as large as the elephant in the middle of your apologist office?

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:18AM

By their fruits shall ye know them...

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:33AM

The rats are really turning on each other. It seems the Morg is wanting to cultivate and new brand of liar as the old ones have made matters worse not better.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:57AM

Mormon-apologist cannibalism - mmmmm, tastes like Jello.

Posted by: deception dan ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:49AM

DCP uses deception so naturally he slides into a familiar habit. Starts by saying he will be "brief" and goes on and on. What a pitiful arrogant jerk. imo.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:55AM

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:49AM

I hate to be a skeptic, and I will admit that it may be true, but the OP didn't even have Daniel Petersen's name attached to it other than the OP saying it is so. I apologize for my doubts, but the way this is written, the op could possibly say anything under the claim that DCP wrote that. Since I don't know the OP, it may be 100% true. It is just a question caused by my doubts.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 12:11PM

Tks, that's all I needed. Apologies, I didn't google.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.