Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 02:46AM

. . . Moab and Park City.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 02:47AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 03:06AM

Grand County (Moab) and Summit County (Park City) have the number one and two counties in Utah with the lowest percentage of Mormons at 26.5% and 30.8% respectively.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home3/53909710-200/population-lds-county-utah.html.csp

No Mo would be better.

No Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 03:07AM by No Mo.

Date: June 25, 2012 03:08AM

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:08AM

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 03:12AM

When I lived there, we elected the first openly gay legislator in the Utah Congress and have the only truly walkable and accessible business district close to affordable and nice housing in Salt Lake.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 03:20AM

My grandparents lived there and being from California, it was the first place that I knew with snow and beautiful mountains rising to the sky so close by. It seemed magical.

It is the one of the two top places for car burglaries now in Salt Lake City. Mine was stolen the first night I came to live in Utah as a U student in 1971.

Date: June 25, 2012 03:55AM

...sorry for laughing, but you're right on that one.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 03:21AM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . Moab and Park City.

I always liked Price and Helper. Some people may look upon
them as shoddy backwater bergs, but I had good times there,
working for Region Four of the Forest Service, doing survey
work in the area.

Good people -- decent home-cooked food -- and two 3.2 beers
are about the same as one 6.4 can -- (with a bunch of extra
water thrown in).

UD

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:01AM

I live in Moab, but I like Price, Helper, and Green River a lot. Some really cool country around there. Helper and G. RIver were once wild and wooly railroad towns, very little Mo influence. Price has a cool museum and some nice people, lots of non-Mos there, too. I spent a year in Green R. exploring the country around there and it's fantastic country, every bit as good as Moab, though you have to drive a bit to get to it. The little town of Torrey is nice, too.

Date: June 25, 2012 11:16AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 11:21AM by steve benson.

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 03:22AM

Salt Lake is a great city that becomes less and less mormon with every census.

Date: June 25, 2012 03:40AM

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 03:52AM

It already is run by nonmormons. Have you seen who this city elects to be mayor? Not exactly pro mormon types in the slightest.

Date: June 25, 2012 10:58AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 11:11AM by steve benson.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:02AM

We'll see if it's even still there in 500 years, with the earthquake factor.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:06AM

You beat me to it, but yep.

And the fact that every time they open a new session, the entire state legislature visits the Mormon Pope and humbly genuflects before him says a lot about the "secular" arm of Mormonism...er, the state government.

. . . where my family happened to be able to get upfront tickets during the ETB era.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 11:12AM by steve benson.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:15AM

There, you see?!?

All sorts of proverbs spring to mind:
Like peas in a pod
Thick as thieves
Birds of a feather flock together

We ousted her after that one and elected Rocky Anderson who was the most vocal opponent of Mormon conservative causes and continues to be so.

Date: June 25, 2012 11:10AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 11:11AM by steve benson.

Date: June 25, 2012 11:19AM

I believe the politicians are smart in their friendly ways towards mo leaders in order to get some of their agenda accomplished. But in terms of a great place to live, Salt Lake is awesome.

I grew up there as a no-mo and so many of my TBM friends moved to the suburbs leaving more no-mos to fill their vacancies. In my last two neighborhoods, I counted more people from different faiths than Mormons. In that last election, Salt Lake County voted more Democratic than the rest of the state's conservative Mormon population. I was amazed but then, not really, since I lived among that majority of thinkers.

There's still stupidity. Always will be. But overall, the place has become cooler to live in.

Date: June 25, 2012 11:22AM

And remember how Brother Romney walked to an overwhelmingly easy Republican primary victory in Utah in 2008. In Utah, Mormons still rule and government is their tool.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 11:30AM by steve benson.

Date: June 25, 2012 11:33AM

And that was the downside of living in Utah (I'm in Colorado, now). But again, my neighbors were awesome and life was better in Salt Lake the longer I remained. If it weren't for a job move, I'd still be in Salt Lake (Sugar House to be exact). And happy for the most part while trying to influence politics in any way possible.

Date: June 25, 2012 11:42AM

I haven't been able to match the convenience to exceptional ski resorts as I did when I lived in the Salt Lake Valley. When I moved to Colorado, my friends said, "But, toto, ALTA! What will you do?" Well, I've had a depressing winter in Colorado, that's what I did. Locals and friends here even told me how fortunate I was to ski there since the mountains are great here but the prices and snow are better in Utah.

Yes, I hate the politics in Utah and always will. As long as those bozos are in charge, it's an uphill battle. But that's not all Salt Lake had to offer and I was able to have a splendid life in the midst of the political craziness.

Date: June 25, 2012 11:57AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 12:00PM by steve benson.

Date: June 25, 2012 12:31PM

...that was awesome.

With the nutsoness of the political scene in Utah, I've been thinking about why I had such a great time in Salt Lake. I realized that those of us who skied, hiked, camped, road or mountain biked, participated on RfM and drank a lot of wine had the best time.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:24AM

I also think that, along with the Mormon influence in government, there are certain societal norms that were set up by Mormons and still paid lip-service to by non-LDS. As new people move in, that changes, but a lot of people are jack-Mos or ex-LDS and still have a certain amount of "mormonism" and mormon habits. The one that occurs to me is that the non-LDS kids in predominantly LDS high schools are often made to feel like they aren't equal by LDS kids. Outside of Utah, they wouldn't have that self-doubt for that reason. How much has the Mormon church imposed a shadow on even the non-LDS population there? How many habits, how much of an outlook is part of the UT culture, even among non-Mormons there who grew up in the area? I know personally, I learned some less-fortunate...OK, bad habits as a Mormon and if I'm having to unlearn them, other people must have the same situation to some degree with Mormons and the Mormon influence. You don't just turn into a reasonable, never-heard-of-Mormons person overnight. Just like people in the Northeast have a certain reputation for being hard-working because of their Puritan heritage, even though few are today Puritans, how much of a cultural force is Mormonism?

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:33AM

3.2 beer, the Jazz don't have home games on Sunday, City Creek is closed on Sunday and so forth.

Date: June 25, 2012 11:36AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 11:36AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 25, 2012 11:49AM

...is that I'm an urban guy at heart. If I could afford it, I'd live in Manhattan, or any other big city with an active core. I was in heaven when I lived in San Francisco. I'm not a suburban guy, even though that's where I live now. And I'm not a go-out-in-the-wilderness kind of guy, either. So, with SLC being the best Utah has to offer in urban living, meh.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.