Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: May 25, 2012 12:41PM

It is very rare to have a newspaper report on the religion of a person accused of a crime. Unless of course faith is a motive in the crime.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: May 25, 2012 12:47PM

It also appears to be mentioned only in a quote from a neighbor describing him.....Seems pretty peripheral.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: May 25, 2012 12:44PM

I like what you have done here, calling him "you-know-who" makes me smile. Lord Voldemort indeed.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: May 25, 2012 12:47PM

It seems to be in dispute, with US papers saying the guy is a Pentecostal. AFAIK, only the UK paper has said he is LDS.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 25, 2012 12:53PM

Actually, I don't think they are holding back to protect Romney in this case. There is a tradition of religious tolerance in this country, and unless someones religion comes into play, directly with his crime, it is rarely reported. It's kind of like how nearly all mobsters attend mass, but no one reports they are Catholic when they get arrested.

Now if it comes out that the spiritual leader, with whom he confessed killing the boy, was a Mormon Bishop, and the press can confirm that, expect all hell to break loose. You can bet they are digging into that even as we speak.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: May 25, 2012 12:54PM

>>>

Now if it comes out that the spiritual leader, with whom he confessed killing the boy, was a Mormon Bishop, and the press can confirm that, expect all hell to break loose. You can bet they are digging into that even as we speak.

Exactly!

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: May 25, 2012 12:55PM

The way the article is written, it sounds like the wife are mother are more TBM.

"'I know she worked as an insurance underwriter and their daughter is about to graduate from college. They are both deeply religious and members of the Church of the Latter Day Saints."

Posted by: Horsefeathers ( )
Date: May 25, 2012 01:00PM

The US media at large is infinitely less interested in noticing, or reporting on, the Mormon status of people in the news in general than many on this forum are.

It makes no difference to the press, or most of the rest of the world & has nothing to do with "protecting" anybody.

The only reason they notice & address Romney's religion is because it gets coverage in connection with the national political scene.
The media normally doesn't bother to look for instances where they can use individual bad behavior as conformation of Mormonism not being perfect.

Aside from the political elections, no relevance.
You don't see screaming headlines, "MASS MURDERER IS CATHOLIC!", or "PRESBYTERIAN PEDOPHILE CONVICTED!", or "BAPTIST BANK ROBBER ARRESTED!"

As people occasionally comment here in relation to the corporation's members thinking the world pays more attention to them than it really does, same applies in this case.
Some posters believe the world cares as much about what the corporation's up to as much as they do, and it just doesn't.

Posted by: John Wesley ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 02:12PM

...then quite often the perpetrator's religious affiliation is mentioned. Mormons, with their usual "Aren't we so special" attitude, think this religious identification in the press happens only to them, but it isn't true. It happens whenever the criminal is highly church involved.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 03:11PM

He was LDS???? Shocking. I saw his pic once and would not have thought. I know nothing else about it. Does he have family he associates with? Did they ever suspect if he did spend time with them all these yrs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.