Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: plazadelsol ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:21AM

I am taking a psychology class and one of the readings had to do with obedience and how people react when there is real potential to hurt someone. It was an interesting read and got me thinking of the thing TBMs always say about obedience. Obedience is the first law of heaven.

The study gave me insight into how easy it is to be manipulated by a false authority figure just like in the study.

You can read it here if you'd like:

http://academic.evergreen.edu/curricular/social_dilemmas/fall/Readings/Week_06/milgram.pdf

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Carl Pagan ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 05:23AM

Absolutely.

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, as you obey Christ." (Eph. 6:5-6)

The Bible was designed to oppress people.

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 05:57AM

Before opening the link I thought, "Stanley Milgram". His original studies were fascinating on so many levels and there have been many more expanding on Milgram's work. Of course, those early studies also brought forward changes in procedure as a result of ethical concerns.

As for Mormonism, those studies really make you think. Specifically, they have a lay clergy with the appearance of authority yet in reality they aren't trained and may not be anymore intelligent or wise than you are. We hand over power far too easily...as well as defer blame.

Enjoy your class. :-)

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 06:07AM

....a combination of several factors lead me to question more fully(so many things). Part of that questioning came about as a result of classes I took at Uni..including the one where I first learnt about Milgram. I'm really grateful for those classes and those professors.

Posted by: corwin ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:53PM

Yep... Psychology 101 planted many seeds of doubt in me, though they would not fruit for a decade or so. Funny how the glory of God is intelligence, but the more I learned, the less I beleived in God.

Posted by: corwin ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:53PM

And now you know why the Mountain Meadows Massacre occurred.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:56PM

Growing up in the 60's pretty much made me leery of any demand for blind obedience. TSCC demands it, claiming that "first law of heaven" BS knowing full well that it's just a way to get people to act like sheep. I never bought that. Anyone can see the church is run by fallible men not worthy of my obedience.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 04:20AM

That was the tenor of the times. You've seen those old photos of students putting daisies in the barrels of rifles held by National Guardsmen during campus riots - well, yeah, I was one of those daisy-people. It was such fun, see the Guardsmen, who tried to look so stern and intimidating, and along come these hippie-dressed kids with sunny smiles with daisies, and telling them, "Hey man, make LOVE, not war!" Those were the days

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.