Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Knight in Waiting ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:16PM

I'm in the process of creating a comic of sorts that has an afterlife in it, but I wanted my story to have a "perfect heaven".

That was the idea I started off with at least. I quickly realized that there isn't a way for there to be a perfect heaven/afterlife for everyone. Each individual has their own preferences and all.

I did think of a solution that involves some individual wish-fulfillment and other fictional elements, but its hardly a good solution. I'd specify a lot more, but that'd be spoilers!

So what would be your preferred resolution to life? Nonexistence? Heaven? Your own planet?

Edit: I should probably mention that reincarnation is definitely a thing in my story. In fact, it's a main story element. Perhaps another day I'll share my story synopsis with you all.

Your feedback is appreciated :)
-Knight in Waiting, from a kingdom of anxiety and mental expansion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 11:18PM by Knight in Waiting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:21PM

Ya ever see a yacht full of hookers?

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:24PM

Whatever is is , you have to have some of the finest cuisine in the universe . And good beer too !

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:25PM

72 virgins

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:27PM

I may be jumping the gun a little bit here, and I don't want to sidetrack your project due to my own biases, but here goes. My ideal afterlife (I am 60 now) would be a chance to live life over again knowing what I know now about how the world works.

To understand where I am coming from, my life is bascially a shambles due directly to horrendous misinformation, including the messages I got about priorities from the LDS church, as well as other sources. I know everybody says they wish they knew "then" what they know "now". My comeback is that there were plenty of people who did know "then" what I know now. They are anticipating a comfortable and satisfying retirement, while I am struggling (at 60) to start a career. I would love for the chance to start over and do it right. Then, when I have led a rich and fulfiling life, I would be glad to pass away again, into blissful oblivion.

I am spouting off here, and beg your forgiveness.

Date: July 27, 2014 11:33PM

Hey, you actually cited one of my main story elements. In my story, certain people who died without a proper opportunity to fulfill their lives, get a second chance, but only after performing certain duties. The god in my story isn't exactly going to be fair.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:28AM

I agree. I would love to start over with all the knowledge I have now. That would be my perfect heaven.

Posted by: bewarethetea ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:34PM

Maybe it would be different for everybody, in the comic...? Reincarnation sounds good to me, but if that doesn't work for the story, then maybe you could have some beautiful scenery and an infinite expanse of land and natural resources. People could be alone if they wanted to; they could enjoy the company of others. They could build things, or buy anything in this world with money (wink wink), live a leisurely life of doing nothing, work, or whatever they wanted. Everyone would have room to live whatever lifestyle they wanted to lead, look how they want to look, etc.

On a more psychological level, here are some things I think heaven should definitely get rid of:
-Social pressure and the human urge to conform
-Religion, especially the associated silly, Pharisaic rules
-The desire, for any reason, to physically or psychologically harm others
-Discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or anything
-Any feelings of superiority or inferiority to others
-Stress (pressure to get stuff done wouldn't matter because of the infinite expanse of time you have ahead of you)
-Addictions
-Deception
-Body odor
-Telemarketers
-Scratchy toilet paper

Honestly, though, I personally would just be happy if two things went away: homophobia and my mental illness. Living forever has always seemed overwhelming to me. I'd rather just fall into a blissful, everlasting sleep.

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:42PM

I've had an idea since I was around nine years old what I'd like in an afterlife and it's never changed. If you have a throwaway e-mail account, e-mail me at s a r e e i n c o g n i t o
at
a o l dot c o m .

I was nine, so it's definitely rated G. And I like to think it includes mental expansion. :)

Ms. Hurry

Date: July 27, 2014 11:53PM

Emailed you :)

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:08AM

E-mailed you back. :)

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:44PM

Nothingness. Nothing that can be used to bribe people to follow religious leaders. Nothing. Peace.

And I'm pretty sure I'm getting my wish.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:51PM

a reflection of my own wishes and perceptions. And this would be true for everybody. Gazillions of alternative universes - each person creating their vision in accordance with their own taste.

So my own little AU would have people, beloved pets, foods and beverages that I like, and the opportunity to do - or do again - things that I enjoyed in this life. And the door would be closed to people I had no use for.

I don't know this would work, exactly. How could my best friend be in her own AU and mine too. . .dunno. But it would work out that way.

Date: July 27, 2014 11:58PM

That was pretty much my solution that I came up with, haha. I think in order for your friend to exist in your AU they would have to be there of their own volition or there'd be a copy. Well, maybe not a "copy". Hm, tough.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:52PM

No pain. That's all.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:57PM

I like Sylvia Browne's vision of what she thought heaven would be like. Her book "Life on the Other Side" would be a good start. Your local library might have it.

Date: July 27, 2014 11:59PM

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll see if it does :)

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:08AM

You should watch "Defending Your Life". It's along these lines and is a charming movie.

Date: July 28, 2014 12:11AM

I'll look it up! I hope it's on Netflix or somewhere on the web.

Posted by: librarykim2 ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:15AM

My version includes a giant library with comfortable reading nooks scattered about, a food replicator that can make any food I desire, and interesting people to love and talk with.

Posted by: london ( )

Ironically, I'd say being a God over infinite multiverses sounds pretty damn appealing. It's about the only appealing uniquely LDS doctrine I'm still found of.

Posted by: IDRugger ( )

My wife, my old collie and ausie shepard, two horses, and the Rockies. And it always be early October for eternity.

Posted by: Lori at 52 ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:17AM

A long eternal conversation with my deceased son. He died at 20, epileptic seizure. That eclipses anything else I ever lost to death.

Lori

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:18AM

Very few humans. Tons of wonderful animals living peacefully and gorgeous surrounds. 4 seasons w/ o the hassle that comes with seasons. Did I mention tons of animals, all kinds. Water and land creatures. Basically what we have now w/o the hunan descrution of it all

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:20AM

Bacon!

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:46AM

Yes, bacon. Lots of bacon.

And donuts.

And Halle Berry.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:50AM

I'm living it right now.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 02:36AM

No religion.
The world would function without money.
No greedy or mean or nosy people.
Children wouldn't have to suffer in anyone's hands.
No cruel deseases, of course.
Introverts would not be disturbed - or misunderstood.

Cats could talk. And they would want to communicate with people.

An infinite possibility to learn new things. That's one of the things I've enjoyed most, in this life.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 09:33AM

Augusta National.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 10:02AM

Starting again, knowing what I know now.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 11:10AM

aquarius123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Starting again, knowing what I know now.

Wow...I've never thought of this before, but this resonates with me in a major, MAJOR way...

It's taken me S-O-O-O long to learn what I've now learned so well, and if I were able to START with that knowledge ALREADY learned...

I can't even imagine how different my life would have been.

On the OTHER hand, however...I would definitely have totally missed out on some of the most important, meaningful, and rewarding things in my life, too...

THE most important things (the most important PEOPLE)...

On reflection, I wouldn't want to do that.

No...I wouldn't want to do that at all...

Not at ALL...

At first the prospect sounds so good, but the downside would be a loss to me so gigantic that, even if I had the chance, I really don't think I would have chosen that way.

Maybe, after all, all the hurt and the fear and the pain was worth it???

For what (the experiences...the people) I got in return???

I think maybe it was...

Yes...

I think it actually WAS...

On reflection...

...I think it IS.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 10:11AM

Celestial marriage with me and Matt Boman. No kids.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 11:23AM

I would prefer to not imagine things that cannot be or are not. My ideal afterlife would be reality.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:25PM

All plants and animals could speak to me telepathically. Imagine conversing with talking dogs, cats, and bunnies. Also, wild parties with various races of aliens. Except for grays: they probe too much.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.