Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:04PM

The corridor? A popular family is sending their 19 year old on a mission to Argentina. So today during Sacrament it was totally filled in the pews. Several of her friends came and took several rows. They even had to open the gym for this as well.needless to I think that the air conditioning was fixed. Afterwards almost everyone left. We only had 7 people in elder's qoruom.

Is this typical of morg sacrament meetings with the surge? Normally we open the overflow but even that doesn't get filled up! I think that everyone went to her parents house for a farewell party after Ssacrement meeting. I thought that the morg outlawed/ banned those? Did they ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:44AM

Hinckley wanted the practice of an open house stopped. I think it's one thing the members have ignored. Farewells were supposed to be toned way down and not an entire meeting focusing on the missionary. For the most part and my experience the edict failed, people still make a big deal out of these kids serving missions.

Posted by: cocoaberry ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:27AM

From my experience, yes. Even after the edict to tone it down was given, the crowds remained. There weren't any talks by the missionary's family members, no more special musical numbers by the little sisters etc. But all of the missionary's friends and family would still come to listen to them give their special talk. Homecoming crowds would be smaller since friends would be married, in college, on their own missions, but they still get big facebook events and invitations and "come here me give my homecoming talk!"

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:07PM

It looked like the edict was a failure then. The whole meeting was about her!! She even had family do a musical number!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.