Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Just Wondering ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 07:56PM

This man sounds like he was truly a great guy:

"Roger is an unforgettable character for all who knew him: intelligent, witty, passionate, opinionated, charismatic and a bit devilish. He lived life on his own terms, which included actively protesting the Vietnam War and leaving the Mormon Church when he came to doubt some of its teachings. He was also compassionate, especially towards children, homeless people and animals. His rescue golden retriever Minnie was his constant companion and accompanied him on daily walks in the Avenues and the foothills above Salt Lake City. He enjoyed great literary works and particularly liked the novels of Fyodor Dostoyevski and Hermann Hesse. His favorite rock group of all time was The Who; and his favorite city was San Francisco."

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saltlaketribune/obituary.aspx?n=roger-buck&pid=171830228

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:01PM

doubts may have arisen perhaps because roger was probably a homosexual person.

It makes one wonder how many people left the LDS church because of their bigoted doctrine, or worse, how many of these people married heterosexual persons as counseled by the brethren.

Posted by: Fully Disvested ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:35PM

I agree. It sounds like Roger was a great guy, as well as being gay.

When is TSCC going to extend a real hand of fellowship to its gay members? The Morg needs to do something, as probably 20,000 gay Mormons are born every year. But the Morg leaves these precious sons and daughters of God as roadkill. Disgusting!

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:21PM

Sounds like a person I would have liked.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:31PM

I'm glad there's someone else reads the obits. I got that from my mom.
I read that guys obituary and wondered how many people will be willing to say the same thing in his obit, or make sure his family does?

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:40PM

Isn't that rather a cruel thing to put in someone's obituary??

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 09:26AM

No, it demonstrates his integrity.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:45PM

No way would the Deseret "News" have printed that in an obituary. Another reason we need to fight to keep the SLTrib.

RIP Roger. Sounds like a compassionate and interesting life.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:47PM

why are people saying he was gay ?
I didn't read anything in that obit that said he was gay.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:51PM

Maybe because of his favorite city? I didn't see anything too that he was. He sounded like a nice person.

Date: July 27, 2014 09:55PM

so liking san francisco means you are gay ?

I love san francisco and I'm not gay.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:55PM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 10:48PM

He left the Mormon church, there is no mention of a wife or kids, and his favorite city is San Francisco, what more do you need?

Sarcasm aside, I have stood up to such snap decisions based on such flimsy evidence on this board many times. In almost every case the people have some self righteous reason why they are justified in making such obnoxious rush to judgments.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:57PM

Dont you guys know, leaving the church because you're gay is all the rage these days..

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 10:03PM

What a nice obituary. It really gives a sense of who he was as a person. It sounds like he had a good life.

Date: July 27, 2014 10:15PM

he sounds to me like a nice quiet guy who I would like to have as a neighbor.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:51PM

The first part of the obit sounds like a typical TBM obit. Then
it veers into reality.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:07AM

I think his brother was proud he quit being a Mormon. that's why he printed it. I get a good feeling when I tell everyone I'm a exmo. I feel like it's an accomplishment. I'm so smart to find my way out of a cult that I was born in. Becoming an exmo is indeed an accomplishment.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:43AM

+1

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 10:40PM

His obit was respectful and told us about this man. He seems that he was a good person and those of us who try to read meaning in the words that are not stated is not very Christian. Why are we being judgmental when we have been warned against such activity? Chill, folks.

Date: July 28, 2014 10:42PM

Stop using his death to push Christianity as good. That is worse than reading things into the story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2014 10:43PM by MJ.

Date: July 28, 2014 10:46PM

I did just see this headstone online. The parents are obviously LDS because of the quoting of the BOM in the beginning of the obit.

However, even as an atheist I though that was a very moving headstone.

http://www.enjoyutah.org/2013/08/salt-lake-city-cemetery-beautiful.html

Posted by: Freddo ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 11:20PM

It's sad there was no partner left behind who cared mentioned.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 12:24AM

Wow. Roger sounds like an incredible guy and people loved him. They memorialized him as best they could. We have to make allowances for those whose brains are distorted with LDS theology, at least I hope people will make allowances for any of the insensitive, horrible things I said/promulgated due to LDS theology back in the day.). I wish I could have known him because he sounds like a really amazing, caring and loving person.

I have no idea if he was gay and neither does anyone else who didn't know him. The reasoning I've seen here is pretty lame. As one who has lived in San Fran and is close with a fair amount of self-professed gay people (both relatives and friends), I feel pretty confident about raising this issue.

Seriously, anyone who thinks not being married and liking San Fran means someone is gay, please. Get a life. It's a huge city, there are hundreds of thousands of people who live there (11th on the Gay Advocate List of cities with a high Gay population, less than 15% of the population, not much really!). There are tens of thousands of tourists (gay & straight) who visit on a monthly basis. Determining sexual orientation is not that easy.

There are plenty of straight people who choose not to get married or who did and got divorced without children and like San Francisco. It's a F*#king awesome city. Doesn't mean someone is gay, but, here's the thing; If they are, WHO CARES?!! What possible difference does it make?!

WHY is this even a point for discussion?

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 08:14AM

We obviously don't know and it doesn't matter, but it's quite possible that he was gay and it goes beyond just liking San Francisco. He was a bright, sensitive man who left the LDS church due to certain of its teachings, moved to San Francisco when it was the gay mecca of the US, managed a "health spa" in the 1970s, studied psychology, never married, etc.

Date: July 29, 2014 08:45AM

" WestBerkeleyFlats" Obviously a lesbian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 08:49AM by MJ.

Date: July 29, 2014 12:34AM

It is a point of discussion because, should we consider Roger had been gay, it may have been pivotal in the doubts mentioned in the obit.

The discussion originated in the fact that these doubts were mentioned in the obituary, which is important to this forum.

Whether or not Roger was gay is really not of importance, however the plight of many in the LGBT community with mormon families is an important dynamic in this discussion.

I mentioned he may have been gay. My reasoning for doing so was not of malice, but rather to recognize the huge number of LGBT people that have left or been harmed by LDS Inc.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 12:40AM

I think the NOMs have doubts, the. TBMs that admit to faith crisis or shelves have doubts, Jack Mormons that can't discipline themselves to follow their orthodoxy have doubts.

I am a formwr Mormon. I don't have doubts. The Mormin church is a proven fraud.

I do have anxieties and struggles, but not because of doctrines, but due to socialization, conditioning, and coming to peace with youth and young adulthood spent in the service of a cult fraud.

I don't have doubts about Mormonism. I know it is not what it claims to be. I also know anyone else can know this too. Jot through prayer and emotions, but through disciplined and thorough reconciliation between Church claims and reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 12:41AM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 03:05AM

Roger sounds like a guy I wished I had known. Sound like he had lots of knowledge etc. and would be fun to talk to.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 07:48AM

San Francisco, Hermann Hesse, The Who, daily walks in the Avenues...I could have a pretty good life just copying this guy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.