Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:15PM

I've shared stories about my ultra TBM sister before. (Namely when she called me and told me that my wife needed to wear garment approved clothing at our reunion last week so that her husband won't have impure thoughts).

Anyway, when I was down in Utah last week she gave me her obligatory speach about how I need to go back to church. One of her points was that the church may have had issues but they have never hid anything. They were an open book. I saw that her mentioning the word book was a good segway to talking about the rock in the hat "translation".

So I told her how the church lies about the BoM translation. I then proceeded to tell her how it actually happened.

She got all offended and said that JS translation was a sacred thing and shold not be discussed so, lightly. So when I brought up additional points she said it was too sacred to discuss.

So I finally understand now. When church members aND Q15 talk about things to sacred to discuss. They're just using it as a way to not talk about something that was totally crazy to begin with. To TBM'S, crazy means sacred.

Makes things easier I guess.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:27PM

Too sacred to discuss = I've turned my brain over to TSCC and don't want to hear the truth

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:41PM

"Too sacred to discuss" is code speak for "the authorities would lock me away in the insane asylum and throw away the key if they ever heard me tell you what I believe".

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:54PM

Bingo.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 06:11PM

Maybe your sister should have sex with her husband so he has no sexual thoughts. What a stupid religion.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 06:15PM

Too sacred to discuss = Not defensible if questioned critically.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 07:29PM

Discussion leads to knowledge and where there is knowledge faith is lost. The church survives on faith.

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 07:53PM

Did your wife conform to the suggested dress code? Inquiring minds want to know.

BTW, a segway was a supposedly revolutionary way of travel that flopped. The word you want is "segue."

Posted by: lenina ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 07:54PM

Also "segueway."

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:53PM

She did not. She flaunted her shoulders like a harlot. It was horrible. My sister wasn't happy but my wife's always thought she was crazy even when we were tbm's.

And I did think segway looked off. I just didn't know the correct spelling.

Also, I should have told my sister thats my wife's shoulders are too sacred to talk about.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:08AM

brucermalarky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She did not. She flaunted her shoulders like a
> harlot.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1316089,1316089#msg-1316089

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:10PM

Sounds like what others thought all along. Your sister's husband didn't have a problem with your wife's shoulders. It was your sister who did. Obviously, from your update. But she wasn't honest with you about that, was she? And let alone that it is none of her business what clothes your wife wears. It is hard to believe the nerve of some people. Totally out of bounds. I'm glad to hear your wife flaunted it. Serves your sister right.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:58PM

Too sacred to share = Too scared to share.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:58PM

It simply means too embarrassing to discuss.

The hardest thing for Mormons to hear when socializing with polite society is the mention of odd Mormon beliefs. They shut down right away. They never try to defend their beliefs to people outside their subculture. Missionaries are cannon fodder for the laughter of unbelievers. Middle aged Mormons are cowards who hide behind the 'too sacred' rubric.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:35AM

Too sacred to discuss: too stupid to say out loud

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:06AM

Too weird to discuss in sane company?

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 11:48AM

I've posted this before about "too sacred to discuss." Joseph Smith (supposedly) went to the sacred grove to pray. God and Jesus appeared to him in the flesh, and he had a conversation with them. After that Joseph told everyone what happened. And to this day the church won't shut up about Joseph Smith's first vision.

So if talking to god and Christ in person is not too sacred to discuss, what the hell is??? Next time a mormon uses this line on me I'm going to ask them if they experienced something even more amazing than Joseph Smith's first vision.

Of course, the true definition is "I have no answer to your reasonable question. Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!"

Posted by: TooLazy ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 11:55AM

TBM (sticking fingers in ears and stomping feet): I know this church is true! I know this church is true!! I KNOW THIS CHURCH IS TRUE!!!

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:07PM

What the hell is wrong with people? She is so worried about her husband and his impure thoughts that she has the nerve to tell people what they can or can't wear. I would take that as a cue to stay very far away from that man, obviously he can't be trusted and he would probably easily justify rape, at least that is what I would say to her.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.