Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lee grey ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:11PM

In your active Mo days, did any of you ever use Ldssingles.com?

I actually communicated with a lady on there who asked if i wanted her to flash me on the webcam.

It was then I realized that people on there were just looking to get laid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nolongersearching27 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:35PM

My sister in law met her second husband on there...... I got married at 20, so I never had a need or desire to use it.

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:45PM

I did. I found that there were polygamists, married people, not-yet-divorced people, and non-Mormons on that site. There were a lot of people looking for hookups, too. Plus, my ex was on it. I laughed when I saw his (photoshopped) pic and read all the lies he had on his profile, especially his age, height, weight, education, and income.

Once I went on a date with someone I met from ldssingles.com. Even though we'd talked on the phone several times and exchanged a lot of e-mails, I was still really suprised when I met him, because he was about 15 years older and at least 100 lbs. heavier than his profile pic. He was also unemployed and told me over our lunch that he'd had a drinking problem for a long time.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:34AM

My rule is don't use online dating sites. I think the best way to meet people is through work.

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 11:51AM

I met some really crazy people on LDS dating sites (back in their infancy)...I was about to swear off them entirely, then I met my wife :)

Posted by: girlreclaimed ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:19PM

For 7 years I was single- I kept an open mind while dating and the necessary humor in order to stay sane. That being said, I met my match over 3 years ago online. He's truly an amazing human being and I've never been happier.

Deceit and lack of integrity aren't confined to those seeking mates online(regardless of the site). I have a horror story from a date that was the result of caring friends who found for me my 'perfect' match. Or the handsome guy I went out with after a simple encounter in produce? After numerous long conversations and a few dinners, he conveniently forgot to mention the woman he had been living with for the past decade.

Work is taboo; the last place I wanted to revisit an awkward situation was in front of colleagues or clients.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:26PM

And, what is so objectionable about it....?
That is 95% Mens primary object as mine was.....

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:31PM

It wasn't LDSSingles, it was called LDSHearts, and I think it is defunct now. However, I did meet my husband on there, after meeting some total wack-a-doodles! We have been married for 10 years, and going strong. Even though I am now ex-mo, he is totally supportive of me. It may be rare, but hooking up on-line can work!

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:41PM

Most LDS singles have been driven to a certain degree of insanity by Mormonism. Back when I was dating, every female single adult in my ward was crazy. Except one, and I married her. But then she went crazy too.

They need a more accurate URL, like LDScrazies.com.

Posted by: MTfounder ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 05:42PM

I met my wife there. I actually know several people that got married from that and similar LDS dating sites. I don't know of any true 'horror' stories but the main theme is that many people on there present a much different (better) image of themselves than they are in real life.

Maybe it's changed as I used that service when it was just ramping up but here's what I remember from it:

If you do you that service, best advice for both men and women:

Get recent photos (some full body).

Verify age - you'd be surprised how many people lie about this.

Talk on phone ASAP to make sure it's a 'real' person.

If local, meet in person preferably in a group setting to see if it's worth pursuing.

If not local, do a webcam. Do not travel long distance unless you really get to know them first.

Find out the baggage before meeting. No sense flying 500 miles to find out they have 3 kids but were afraid to tell you so they kept it off their profile.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has really used the service in the last 5 years and hear about their experiences.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 09:40PM

Same thing happened in the past month or two to my sister: a guy she met on the site asked her if she wanted him to send a pic without the towel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2014 09:41PM by Facsimile 3.

Posted by: Virgil ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 11:03PM

Back in our TBM days, I met my wife on there. We met and were married 6 months later. Fast forward 9 years later and we couldn't be happier. :) Some things just work out funny like that in life. :)

Oh, and we're renewing our vows this winter. But this time we're doing things our way -- the non-mo way. ;)

Posted by: BeerAtMoessers ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 11:37PM

After my divorce I was on there. I had gotten married before texting and now being single, the concept of texting between two single people for romance or otherwise was a whole new world to me.

After a few texts back and forth with one girl she, without any prodding from me, sent me a naked selfie. That was my baptism by fire into the sexting world.

I was like, "Holy shit! People really do this!?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.