Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:15PM

One of the Temple Recommend questions is:

9. Are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen?

This, I assume, is usually interpreted as dealing with money.
Do you not cheat people in business dealings, etc.

However I've found over and over again that Mormons are not
INTELLECTUALLY honest in their dealings with their fellowmen. I
think if this were to include intellectual honesty no Mormon
apologist would qualify for a TR.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:17PM

Nor could any GA legitimately get a TR.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:29PM

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:12PM

So what's your right word for such a statement, do we add fellow woman? You are correcting the English grammar rules. Thanks for contributing to the subject.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:26PM

Reminds me of the Seinfeld where Mr. Peterman says something about the bushmen of the Kalahari and Elaine has to interject "and the bushwomen!".

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:33PM

(brother has been inactive since his teens and is 45 both work with a lot of Mormons) both are in management. My boyfriend has only been working this job for 18 months and my brother has been at his for YEARS.

They started talking one evening just recently and my boyfriend started out with "the interesting thing about working with Mormons is . . . " and my brother finished with, "They lie."

Then they started comparing stories. My boyfriend says that Mormons will do anything and say anything to prove that whatever just happened couldn't possibly be their fault, even if there is absolute evidence they were involved, or they will deny they said what they did if things don't go right.

Actually, most of the customers of the place my brother works (manufacturing vitamins), will only talk to my brother, even the Mormon customers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 03:33PM by cl2.

Posted by: 2+2=4 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:42PM

I personally don't think any mormon missionary is honest in their dealings with their fellow humans. It's a case of the deceived becoming the deceivers, however.

Then there is the case of Bishop John Swallow...a gatekeeper to the temple, if I understand the mormon system correctly...on what planet would such a dishonest, unethical person have any kind of credible claim to be sitting in judgement of other people?

Posted by: braindead ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:19PM

Actually, I've had more problems with ex-mormons that lie than I ever had with active Mormons. I tend to be too trusting in general, but especially of my "community/tribe" so to speak. I don't believe that Mormons tend to lie any more than the rest of humanity.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 04:32PM by braindead.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:27PM

Speaking of honesty, here is my question.

If I find something I try and return it. Lately I noticed many places/stores no longer have a lost and found area. I get weird looks from younger employees if I turn in jewellery, money etc.

My son says no one does that anymore.

Anyone else notice this?

Posted by: lenina ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 10:09PM

Lost & Founds are still around whenever I need them. Grocery store, gym. Perhaps turning CASH into a L&F is a lost cause. With cash it's finders keepers because highly unlikely the cash will stay in the L&F long enough for the rightful owner to retrieve it.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:27PM

This question is asked of people who aren't even honest with themselves.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:46PM

DW has a history of credit card fraud. She gets new cards, maxes them, then defaults. She lies to me about these situations. When I find out, I pay the cards off and cut them, unless the companies are just demanding too much penalty. Then they have to wait, until DW gets an inheritance or something.

But she recently renewed her temple rec, and of course the bishop sensed nothing wrong with her deceptive answers to his questions.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:57PM

My TBM ex had totally ruined her credit. She owed thousands.
My daughter went on a mission and while she was gone she got one
of those credit card offers. My TBM ex sent the offer in, got
the card in my daughter's name, maxed it out and then didn't
pay, ruining my daughter's credit rating.

That's a felony, by the way.

All this time she had a "valid" temple recommend.

Date: July 28, 2014 09:54PM

wow. sad :(

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:26PM

No mormon missionary is honest, when they are taught to "answer the question they should have asked".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zA-rZQB-xQ

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:54PM

Isn't this question an oxyron especially when it applies to the morg on so many levels? Like tithing etc.. for starters??

Posted by: T ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:58PM

TSCC is inherently dishonest. A "leader" asking a member the honesty question is largely misplaced, and is an arrogant form of turning the tables, whether knowingly or not. Large aspects of TSCC are based on plagiarism (e.g. bible, temple symbols and ritual) and hiding or lying about the past. Plagiarism is an insidious form of lying.

It's grounds for failing a college course, for any student at any institution of higher education to plagiaries material, and yet the asshats in the mormon church are forwarding lies daily, while casting judgement on the "little" people, and thinking the building of a multi-billion dollar mall is Ok.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 10:42PM

I surely try to be. I was raised that way by the most honest man I've ever known. I see plenty of crooks in my daily dealings and try to avoid dealing with them.

Ron Burr

Posted by: boydslittlefactory ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:04PM

Just from that aspect alone, I am much more honest.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:01PM

When they bad-mouth those who leave, they lie. That means they are not honest in their dealings, are bearing false witness against their neighbors etc. They need to answer this "No" but it doesn't even occur to them because when they say that people only leave the church because they are offended or want to sin or are lazy, they are sure they are right. Lying when you don't even know if what you say is true or false, when you haven't bothered to check your facts, is still lying. So no, they aren't honest. And they don't care.

Posted by: Saucie ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 10:01PM

MOre importantly.... is the mormon church honest in their dealings

with their fellowman? Thats the real question here.

Posted by: darkshadow ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 03:19AM

I am only as honest with the church as they are with me. They only tell the truth that builds faith. I only tell the truth that builds faith in me. If they ask me in TR interview do you keep the word of wisdom. I say yes, even though last night I drank a couple of beers. Why? Because sometimes the truth isn't very usefull. That is straight from the mormon playbook.

Date: July 29, 2014 04:12AM

OMG so true. It's not a lie, cuz it builds faith in ME. And that's the core mission value, after all.

DW fits in well with these folks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.