Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brook ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:14PM

I saw this on a previous post and it made me wonder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:20PM

Never heard that one. Does it make them turn into a pillar of salt? [Sarcasm very much intended]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 12:23PM by Tom Padley.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:20PM

I'm not buying that other post.

Later down they couldn't help inserting a Paula Deen reference as a joke.

Besides, every week hundreds of thousands of women pass the sacrament...

to the person sitting next to them.

So I guess that it's ok for non-priesthood holders to pass the Sacrament if they're seated.

Makes as much sense as anything in the cult.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 02:33PM

sonoma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I guess that it's ok for non-priesthood holders
> to pass the Sacrament if they're seated.

In 1957, North Carolina publisher, Harry Golden, wrote a satirical editorial wherein he noticed that segregation in the South seemed to apply only to situations where people were seated -- schools, buses, theaters, restaurants, restrooms, etc. -- but not to situations where people stood -- stores, for example. So he proposed that in order to end segregation in schools the chairs should be removed. He called it "The Vertical Negro Plan."

In Mormonism, it's the opposite. The problem primarily arises in situations where people are vertical -- performing ordinances, giving blessings, standing at the pulpit...

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:23PM

The only restriction I remember about the sacrament tray is that you're supposed to pass it with your right hand. As if . . .

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:24PM

I'm a nevermo, but the meetings I attended, women would pass the tray to their neighbors the same as men all the time.

I'm curious if this was *ever* a rule. I would guess this guy who berated the girl was "old school" if this was once standard practice. Otherwise, he's just a d!ck with his own magical p*nishood grandiose ideas.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:25PM

we had SS for the primary kids on Sundays (primary was on a weekday). I taught 4 year olds for a while. Can you imagine if I allowed them to pass the tray? One day, one of the kids wouldn't let go of it and pulled it so hard the bread went flying all over the place.

There is no way women CANNOT touch the sacrament tray.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 12:25PM by cl2.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:27PM

Here are the official instructions re: the ceremony/ritual

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/priesthood-ordinances-and-blessings/20.4#204

The passing of the sacrament should be natural and unobtrusive, not rigid or overly formal. Those who pass the sacrament should not be required to assume any special posture or action, such as holding the left hand behind the back. The process of passing the sacrament should not call attention to itself or detract from the purpose of the ordinance.

Then along come the fundamentalist; masters of rigidity and creators of new and improved methods!

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:37PM

Thanks for posting that. In our ward we didn't follow the handbook evidently, since the passing of the sacrament was definitely rigid and overly formal.

To answer the OP, I've never heard that women shouldn't touch the sacrament tray. It's probably just a rumor that circulated a few wards or something.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:34PM

They can touch it but can't stand up with it, walk it to the aisle behind them and hand it to the first person on the pew.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:28PM

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:38PM

everyone is equally allowed to pass their nasty ass germs on to the next victim!

Posted by: greensmythe ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:53PM

Well it's a good thing these little boys have magical powers to move trays forwards and backwards. Women (mere mortals) are only capable of moving it sideways.

Date: July 27, 2014 05:29PM

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:01PM

Sacrament trays are never washed in hot soapy water, rinsed or dried. The fungas and germs along with bread crumbs breed all week. Week after week after year after year the fungas and germs grow and transfer from hand to hand making some people sick every week.

I am so much healthier since I quit eating the smashed bread torn in pieces by teenage boys that recently played with their little Johnson. Maybe even some saliva from their girlfriend or boy friend

Sacrament bread is gross when you think about it.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:10PM

Posted by: Prosper ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:39PM

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

Those are some very disturbing thoughts.

Posted by: Starlight Kokaubeam ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:23PM

All the wards I was in the Young Men had the responsibility of washing the trays periodically. Not that 12-18 year old boys actually did this, or, if they did, did it well. While the Young Men's president, I usually ended up doing this once a month or so.That's only four weeks worth of germs. :)

Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:32PM

I don't know about the sacrament tray thing, but I've got something that women are more than welcome to touch.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:38PM

also, women are not allowed to go to stonings.

Date: July 27, 2014 05:31PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 02:07PM

There is no offical written doctrine that says men have to bless it either. This is one of a long list of issues that any surviving Mormon feminists bring up. Why not let the girls do it to?

So much of Mormonism is just culture, and a culture directed by old men with a 1950s outlook.

Posted by: fluffinatorb ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 02:17PM

Lived a few years in a European country whilst TBM in a fairly large branch. When I first passed sacrament, and tried to pass off the tray to the women at the end of a row, they would just bow their heads and fold their hands and ignore me. At first I thought I was not following some past established zig zag pattern, but was informed later that WOMEN do not touch the sacrament trays, only priesthood holders do. News to me. I was a raised in the US returned missionary and tried fruitlessly to inform them of the false doctrine to no avail. BTW, this was about the time I quit saying "I know" in my testimony and switched to "I believe" as I felt I didn't want to be bearing false witness....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 02:17PM by fluffinatorb.

Posted by: Free in the Mountains ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:07PM

When my wife was a custodian and she cleaned the building on Monday, and the sacrament table was left as on Sunday, she was required to phone the Elder's Quorum President so that he would come down to the church building and take care of it. She had no "authority" to take it down. When I was later a custodian, I could take it down because I had "the holy priesthood of God" lol.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:16PM

I like the rule that the left hand does not HAVE to be kept behind one's back. The reason this was done in some wards was because it was clear that one is NOT to use one's left hand in passing the sacrament. Indeed, except for medical reasons one was not supposed to take the sacrament with one's left hand - because the left hand was sinister. I kid you not. This was in the Ensign many years ago and that the left hand was sinister (coming from the Latin). Being left-handed, I take umbrage.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:21PM

Excessive superstition in the morg and especially when it's related to women, sacrament, evil spirits, olive oil, magic words, underwear, and the color white.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:04PM

As with most "rules" in the church this one probably happens/happened depended on the ward. I have heard this before and did see one family routinely do this in our ward. I do know that the stake president, before we moved here, wanted the sacrament tray to go all the way to the end of the side rows before anyone partook. They partook when the tray was passed back to the isle. He thought it was the polite thing to do. I thought it was weird. Any "rule" that someone says happened could be true because the priesthood leadership in a ward or stake gets a bee in their bonnet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.