Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hfo ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:37AM

You will never hear anything about REAL problems in the world, and certainly you will seldom hear a prayer or a concern about them.

Take the ongoing persecution of Christians in Iraq:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/06/20/religious-cleansing-iraq-christians/

Or the female genital mutilation that occurs, or the die off of much of the life in the ocean. Take your pick, there is plenty of bad stuff happening.

Will you ever hear about it in church, or will the Bishop ever get up and lead you as a group to pray about it? Or to take any action about ANYTHING that might effect a positive change in the world?

Or, do you do a self centered prayer that your sins might be forgiven, or that the jello might be blessed to be good for your body?

For those who (presumably) hold the higher priesthood, with powers to move mountains, what have you done with your spiritual strength, to lessen the pain and suffering in this world?

Or, are you dreaming of your mansions above as you sit in priesthood meeting?

Of course, if people were to think about world problems, they might get discouraged, and discouraged people are bad for business. And anyone that suggests actually doing something, might jeopardize the precious 501c3 tax exemption.

So, back to that lesson manual!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Feelinglight ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:46AM

One of my biggest gripes with the church. We seem to know nothing of the real world. And, God help us if we ever open our doors to any group needing anything. Incestuous..that's what the church is...thinks only of itself. And I got that term from someone else, but it seems to fit.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:18PM

It would be nice if there was some real effort to help those in need, but when it come to praying about the world's problems....praying for those in need is just a way for people to convince themselves that they are helping others without actually having to do anything. A minute of service to those in need is more valuable than a lifetime of praying.

And when it comes to problems that can't be directly helped by member involvement, it would sure be nice if members could designate a reputable organization to receive a portion of their tithing to combat female genital mutilation, Christian persecution, destruction of ocean life, or whatever. I know it will never happen--that why I have found organizations worthy of the money I used to pay in tithing.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 07:48PM

I'm not the praying type, but in many churches, prayer leads to awareness/mindfulness, which leads to empathy, which leads to action. Fundies of all types tend to view suffering as deserved punishment, but most mainstream faiths these days balance prayer with action. It's not my cup of tea, but I respect their efforts.

Posted by: lovedone ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 06:03PM

I hear a lot about world problems in protestant churches but never an lds one.

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:13PM

They actually make the effort to do stuff about real problems.

And they are very, very active in their efforts. Different churches tackle different issues, but they're all doing something.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:38PM

God loves you; Jesus loves you; we love you.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:45PM

I remember back in the late 1950s and early 1960s when there
would be a letter from the first presidency read in Sacrament
meeting asking for volunteers to go to the Southern States and
work to assure full civil rights for Black Americans.

The Bishop would talk about how terrible the injustices that
were perpetrated against our black brothers and sisters were
and how it was so important that we, members of Christ's true
church, help rectify them.

Mormon college students would gather together in buses and go
to Alabama or Mississippi and help with voter registration and
education.

Yeah, right.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

http://exmormon.org/d6/drupal/Mark-E-Petersen-1954-Mormon_Apostle-Race-Relations

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 08:48PM by baura.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:15AM

+1

Sigh...if only....

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:57PM

The truth.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:19AM

You will never hear LDS Inc apologize for the hurt, danger, and harm inflicted by their creating a harmful religious masquarade designed for profit.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 06:57AM

TSCC is a tiny little church that is not big enough to solve the world's problems. Their objective is to rule the world, not to help the world.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:41PM

I suspect they're not big enough to rule the world either.

Posted by: TooLazy ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 09:56AM

I imagine TSCC members figure that Iraqi Christians aren't members of the one true church, so screw 'em.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 10:34AM

Last Fall was stake conference. President Full of Himself was speaking about the priesthood and how powerful it is. The dead are raised, the blind are made to see, and the LAME ARE MADE TO WALK....

President Full of Himself had come by our house to release my daughter from her mission a month or so before. He talked on and on for about 1/2 an hour, promising this and that, and such and so. Speaking with great power and authority. I sat on the couch, my multi-surgically repaired fused left ankle in the air to keep the pain down.

I had the strongest feeling to call down president full of himself and tell him I was lame and ready to be healed. Re-connect those severed nerves to my muscles, instantly grow the atrophied muscles and grown the missing tendons. And I would walk! Walk with Jesus in the Kingdom! Glory be! Hallelujah, Praise Jesus!

I know he could see me in the audience. I was sitting in the middle of the one off last back row in the chapel. With my walker and crutches.

He never came down. He never offered to have the blind and lame come up and be healed. Now they started doing that in church and I'd be coming back everyweek! I mean we have the same power Jesus and Peter, James, and John had, right! Let's now waste it! I was right there in front of him. That's the kinduv thing I never hear or see in church!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.