Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: london ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 10:54AM

So guys and gals I have a question about something that happened today at Church. I am a member since I was 3 yo and today was the first day I ever felt embarrased in a sacrament meeting. Today I helped passed the tray to the people sitting close to me, since we were right in the middle of the bench and the man sitting 2 places from me yanked it out of my hand and babbled something about a woman is not supposed to touch such a sacred thing. I did it because I wanted to help since the young men couldn't reach all...and also seen other women do it before. He then proceeded to school me that I was going to be damned and told me the story of the arck where the tables of the 10 comandments were kept that the Lord told that no one could touch it and when it almost fell over someone reached for it and was imediately vaporized. Is this real doctrine? Am I supposed to request a meeting with the bishop and repent? I honestely didn't know I wasn't supposed to. Did anything similar ever happened to one of you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 10:59AM

Holy cow. What sort of responses have they been getting.

That man was a total dick.

Date: July 27, 2014 11:14AM

Here's some comments:

"I've never heard such doctrine in my life. Next time, kick his ass during sacrament lol."

"I've never heard of that and I have passed the tray down the aisle to others after partaking myself...That is strange and a little crazy. I would mention it to the bishop just because I think that someone else needs a talking too. Women are helpmates of the priesthood not exempt from its powers."

"The dude is just a Dick. Try not to pay him or such a ridiculous comment any attention. No doctrinal basis what so ever."

Date: July 27, 2014 11:16AM

Here's an additional comment from the woman:

"I have never witnessed such a reaction before. I am still in shock. (my nerves are a wreck)"

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:02AM

I hope this woman is okay, and doesn't vaporize suddenly. ;-)

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:10AM

I always hated the "steadying the ark" story.

A guy sees it about to fall and does what he needs to do to protect it from damage. It's the purest possible motive and yet BAM, god strikes the guy dead.

Why would anyone even want to believe in a god like that?

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:21AM

It's a STORY. Not necessarily meant to be taken literally, but meant to illustrate a point.

The bible makes no sense at all if you try to take it literally.

Posted by: No_Hidden_Agenda ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 12:47PM

Right, it's to make a point.

And the point it illustrates is that God wants 100% obedience. Even if it means His kingdom topples when it was so easily saved, that's His divine wish. Go down with the boat in abject obedience.

Who worships an insane deity like that?!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:11AM

I would have bitch slapped that idiot.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:18AM

Fundies, NOMs and TBMs.

Entertaining in a Mormon way. They get to interact on the Internet now too. Maybe not the fundies, they just talk.

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:19AM

There no such 'doctrine', unless they start ordaining women.

Geez... imagine the life of a woman as his wife.

If he said that out loud, I'm sure word got around, and he would be a social reject naturally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 11:20AM by mostcorrectedbook.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:27AM

The only time a Mormon male said something stupid like that to me was the Bishop who told me, "You're worthy to go to church, but you're not worthy to work for the Church."

That was when my testimony was struggling once I realized what a big good ole boys club the Church really was. Instead of saying, "How can we help you with that," this is what he said to me.

I know that my TBM friend thinks that's why I left the Church. But there's no way that I'd let some idiot like that keep me from my eternity, if I really believed in it.

I just thought, "What an idiot," and carried on.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:33AM

But you *werent* struck down, so that proves the guy was full of sh!t.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:38AM

You should have LAUGHED OUT LOUD to his face, and loudly state why: "What do you mean a woman is not worthy enough to touch the sacrament tray? What world do you live on?"

With everybody quiet during this point of the meeting, everyone would hear it and he would then be the laughing stock of the ward from that point on.

Posted by: No_Hidden_Agenda ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 12:48PM

+1

Only occasionally is public shaming an appropriate response.

I think this was one of those times.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 02:55PM

Absolutely!

What a douchenozzle.

Date: July 27, 2014 11:43AM

Oh my...here are some more comments from the woman it happened to:

Paula: "Dean, he holds a high position in the priesthood here, who am I to question his authority? I really thought I did something wrong, but when he spoke of damnation it really put me in such a state I had to doubt it"
1 hr ยท Like

Paula: "especially since i wasn't vaporized Still I thought I was going to be punished either not be able to take sacrament for a time or say prayer"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 11:43AM by london.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:49AM

There is no such rule about who can touch a sacrament tray in the LDS Church. Anyone can. We had it from person to person.
You happened to run into a fanatical nut job.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:00PM

you can't touch the tray at church but after church you are expected to roll the dough out and serve.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:32PM

I'm sorry but all of this stuff is true and you need to see a bishop right away! As a young deacon I actually dared to touch a sacrament tray with my left hand and my left arm withered and died on the spot. The bishop saw my dilema from that podium and summoned John the Beloved and the Three Nephites from the back of the chapel and had them administer to me and would you believe it? My arm was immediatelly healed and returned to exceptional vigor. Watch what you touch because the big 4 are not always available to effect a cure for whatever part of you or the other guy dies.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:21PM

Sit near him again and when he does it say very loud "quit pinching my tits you asshole!" and then get up and move to another row.

Should get him looked at by a lot of people for a long time to come.

Posted by: B0yd ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 06:51PM

Quote the day and can which says ONLY Elders are to bless the sacrament... Priests can only do it if there are no elders present.

Also quote the day and c and Mormon where it says the elders and congregation must kneel to do the sacrament

Posted by: Ihidmyself ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 11:07PM

acts like that? There is no justice in the world.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (drunk) ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 04:42AM

You're so much better off not being there. Ever.

Stupid cult.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:06AM

Social shaming at church. It's ok to correct and embarrass investigators in public, but those who were brought up in the church think they are above it. The whole cult is a cringe festival.

Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:41AM

I sometimes wondered why women were allowed to pass the sacrament trays in the aisles...because...wasn't that the specific and officially authorized responsibility of the deacons and the priesthood? ...not that I didn't think a dainty woman's hand couldn't lift the thing, but I read the bible, I knew what you get when you start steadying the ark...

Also...I wondered why sacrament wasn't passed out at Stake and Regional and General conferences...if this is so vital to get EVERY WEEK, why skip those?

Or...does the temple have to be rededicated every time an unworthy person enters? I knew people who were completely unworthy to enter (sometimes myself as a teenager...) and somehow no one noticed and they didn't rededicate thing or stop the baptisms or anything...they just kept on going like they couldn't discern that an unclean vessel had entered the house of the LORD.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:28AM

London?...are you referring to the Hyde Park ward by chance?

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 01:26PM

I think it would be hilarious if she actually did vaporize, right in front of that old dickhead. Just scream "Oh My Gawd!" and POOF! Just gone. I wonder if that old fart would go down on his knees, and thank the lawd it wasn't him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 01:27PM by foundoubt.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 03:56PM

I never heard as a doctrine, but......

There were the ocassional times when a deacon would hold on to the tray and after I partook of the bread or water would quickly move to the tray to the next person, it may have been to the next man. it always bother me that he wouldn't let me grab it. so I learned to quickly grab with one hard and taket the try with the other one.

Also, when sitting with certain couples, usually the ones with no kids who sit very cozy, and if the woman was beside me, HE would grab the tray, let his wife take the bread, take his and pass it to the next man or back to the deacon. I hated it when I was skipped. And I do remember it was men to men because that was a reason it bothered me.

Maybe it was 'old' doctrine or folklore. with t his church you just never know. The past doctrine is the new crazy.

Posted by: Soju (logged out) ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 04:05PM

So... this can't have been in Utah. Where it is normal standard practice to have the deacon give the tray to whover is on the end of the row, who hands it to the next person, and to the next, until it reaches the deacon on the other end who takes the tray the next row. At least that is how it was done in every ward I lived in throughout my entire childhood.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.