Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: reawakening ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 10:11AM

A new YM pres was called in my ward recently and I noticed he and his wife are not endowed. I thought that was a current temple recommend holding position. Anyone know? I suppose they might have a limited use recommend. I know it's not charitable but it made me think "is that the best they can do?" Granted he's also awkward around the youth and now walks around with an air of self importance.

And then I answer myself by looking around the ward and concluding "yup, no other available men willing to do the calling". I view this as a good and bad thing. Good that the pickings are slim (meaning "qualified" leaders are leaving) bad for the youth who have to endure. I wish I didn't care but my son still attends...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Count Chocula ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 10:20AM

On my second city on my mission, the Branch President never wore his garments to church.

Also, in my fifth city, the Branch President was a chain smoker. Not only could you smell tobacco on his breath, but his fingers were stained with tobacco (he rolled his own).

So, callings do get extended to the best available male, although sometimes the bar is set incredibly low.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 10:53AM

Lots of wards are lacking in priesthood holders. Some parts of the world the average Utah mormon could turn up and be called as Bishop since there's literally nobody better to choose from. You even hear stories about missionaries having to be Branch President.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:13PM

This is happening quite a bit.

Strokes the TBM hierarchal ego and keeps an inflated unit count.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:00AM

In my mission (France, early 70s), a few elders were the primary pres and/or RS pres.

OW in reverse.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 09:35AM

You checked out their underwear?

Seriously, that is creepy.

Date: July 28, 2014 10:10AM

We were at a ward picnic and they were both wearing tank tops. Why do people always jump to nasty assumptions. As if the mormon underwear smile lines don't show under a shirt or the white tops poke out of a shirt or bottoms peak out of shorts. In summer it's usually uber obvious who wears garments.

So glad I don't fall in that category anymore.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:46PM

Jumping to a nasty assumption is what you did when you thought "Is that the best they can do?"

You seem to think he will be an automatic failure based on what? That he is not endowed? Shouldn't you be glad someone who isn't a complete tool is leading the youth?

Date: July 28, 2014 02:07PM

First of all you forget I know this guy...he's in my ward. So yes, I can think, "Is that the best they can do?" I know the man. I also pointed out in the OP that it is not the most charitable thought. Thanks for pointing out the uber obvious.

He doesn't get along with the youth. I wish him and the youth the best of luck. Perhaps he'll grow and change. Perhaps he'll alienate the youth and they'll be motivated to leave, who knows.

I don't care if the guy is endowed or not. Doesn't bother me a bit. I was posing the question of whether that calling requires an endowed member. Some callings do. I was suprised when I saw him on Saturday with a sleeveless shirt on is all.

The previous YM pres was a rock star at his calling. Not a tool from what I could see and what my son reported. Boys enjoyed being around him. Likely released for his NOM leanings.

Date: July 28, 2014 03:02PM

In your original post it is rather apparent you made a conclusion based on his endowment status then retrofitted your opinion to conform to that conclusion.

Your entire post was based around the idea that not being endowed makes you somehow incapable of being in such a position...

Apparently the calling does not require a recommend, I think that's also obvious given your observations.

Edit to add:

you may "know" him or think you do... but dont just write him off yet, let him have a chance and he might be good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2014 03:11PM by nonsequiter.

Date: July 28, 2014 01:52PM

Being endowed in the temple does NOTHING to qualify anyone to be a leader. ESPECIALLY a leader over the youth.

Why would you think it is remotely a bad thing that they are asking unendowed people to fulfill callings?

As a youth myself I had to endure all the mindless robots who were endowed in the temple...

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 02:57PM

We had a YW president who was not endowed. She was married to a non member. And whenever she would talk about marriage she would say how sorry she was for not getting married in the temple and that she hasn't been endowed yet because her husband doesn't want it.
My guess is that the bishop will encourage YW president and his wife to get their endowment and to get sealed in the temple so taht they can set good examples to the youth. I am so glad I am not part of that cult anymore pray, pay and obey.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 05:19PM

Perhaps "reawakening" thinks they would make a better YM President.....I'd like to know how?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.