Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shiningwaters ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:25AM

I was wondering if anyone ever saw the girls not wear dresses or skirts and what they do if someone doesn't.

I would assume the guys don't get disciplined for wearing jeans or something. Where I went everyone really dressed up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:48AM

The last 2 times I darkened a hallway at a morg building, I wore jeans, sneakers and a sweater iirc.

I'll never wear a white shirt and tie for Mormons again in my life.

I never saw anybody in jeans at church. Maybe the kid of a poor family, but in the ward I grew up in, it looked like a board meeting every Sunday.

The ladies could get away with a t shirt and denim jumper though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 09:50AM by Levi.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:48AM

I dress up to go to the show
Mormonism is just a big show

If you like getting picked on, like in school, don't dress up. Picky church, prickly people. It is a rule: don't come as yourself. Dress up - be someone else. Pecking order.

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:52AM

Casual or whatever is normal for non-LDS churches. If LDS folks visit with their white shirts, ties, and ladies in dresses, they stick out like beacons.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 10:00AM

Mormons have to look like missionaries to be accepted by their cult. All gangs have colors they wear. Motorcycle gangs wear leather vests with patches, black gangs wear red or blue, Mormon gangs wear white shirts and ties.

You must wear the correct colors to belong or associate with other gang members.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:12PM

Posted by: lenina ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 10:45AM

One cold, snowy, icy winter day I couldn't bear changing out of my warm fuzzy house slippers, so I wore them to church. I didn't want to be at church anyway. Would have preferred to stay in bed. The only person who remarked about my choice of footwear was an image-conscious teenage girl. I was 25 and ornery and didn't give a f**k.

Posted by: mysticma ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 02:30PM

Several years ago I wore blue jeans, a tee shirt and nikes to Sunday meetings, along with 80 something MIL. We had been camping all week with the entire family and a baby was being blessed in Heber City and my MIL forgot to bring a dress along to the camp grounds for Sunday. She is a die hard TBM and wasn't going to miss the blessing but didn't want to be the only one wearing jeans at the meeting. So I tagged along in my jeans. You should have seen the looks we got!! And the whispers!! But my MIL was happy that she hadn't missed the blessing of a great grandbaby and I had fun sitting in sacrament meeting in dirty jeans, tee shirt, and old nikes!

Posted by: sd allison ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 02:39PM

Sometimes I see people not dress up in the singles ward here in California. Typically it's the people who are less active or not members. I can only think of one person who is active who routines doesn't dress. In fact, I've never seen her come dressed to church. She always wears a T-shirt and jeans.

Some of the guys don't wear white shirts. The bishop allows guys with colored and even black shirts to bless and pass the sacrament. I don't think anyone has been 'talked to' for not dressing up.

Posted by: Confessor ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 02:49PM

I will never forget the time an investigator lady was there and she wore pants, apparently not knowing the dress code.

And everybody, and I mean everybody, gave her a look, like satan was in their midst.

Date: July 27, 2014 02:51PM

Apparently Jesus would not be allowed to bless or pass the sacrament because he doesn't wear a white shirt and tie.

Date: July 27, 2014 02:51PM

Oh, and also he has a beard. Big no-no.

Posted by: IDRugger ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:09AM

And that silly hat made of twigs. Seriously who is this guy?

Posted by: Working class ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:06PM

Very few people in my old ward "dressed up" for church. Just because they're wearing dressed or skirts, and men are wearing ties, doesn't mean that they're "dressing up".

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:06PM

Yea exactly - I see a lot of women wearing casual skirts (like maxi) with flip flops, and even denim skirts. That's not dressed up in my world, where women wear nice pants suits and skirt suits...

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:19PM

I usually wear black or tan trousers, brightly colored shirt, and a contrasting tie.

I also wear shoes and socks!

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:25PM

I haven't seen it myself, but my sister, her husband, and her kids recently did this. They were travelling and ended up staying in Utah longer than planned. They showed up to church just in the clothes they were wearing. They turned a lot of heads, I'm told.

Posted by: I saw shorts ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:27PM

Visiting outside the moridor today I saw a guy in a nice shirt, shorts and sneakers...

Priceless

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:46PM

Rather than "come as you are", to worship (God), it is "come as you should, as you are told, and as we expect" in order to worship the church, so we can smile with you. Mormonism is concerned with outward appearances, not spontaneity, choice or inner truth.

Your clothes are a (uniform) status symbol and if you don't dress right, you either can't afford to or are a rebel. You should know better than to set an example like that.

Posted by: lovedone ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:57PM

There was a convert in my church who wore shirt and tie but with jeans.

Posted by: masonfree ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 06:21PM

I suddenly find myself wondering if TSCC version of God would be incapable of playing paintball when I read this thread. Being invisible would be cheating in no time and he would probably have a rule against wearing camouflage since it isn't sufficiently, well-ummm, "delightsome." Somehow nonfunctional, appearance-based clothing is the rule in TSCC it seems to me, and I for one don't want to be wearing stuff I can't use for anything cool for all eternity.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 06:24PM

Toward the end of my activity I began to wear black shirts and red or pink or purple ties. This is apparently looked upon as a Stan style. I did get a couple of negative comments. Ignored them.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 06:50PM

Jeans and t-shirts are the norm in many churches. One of my first signs of apostasy was thinking maybe God really didn't care if I wore Armani as opposed to Levi on Sundays.

The Boner

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 06:53PM

On a brief sojurn in Ew-tah... (summer) I wore shorts (with pleats) to church. People would ask me IN SUMMER! 'why do you wear shorts?' D'oh!

Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:45PM

One day I went to church and wore black pants. Thought it wouldn't be a huge deal since black pants are still formal. I got wierd looks all day.

Posted by: BoysMama ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:10AM

My husband is LDS and when we first got married I would often attend with him to be supportive. I wore a pant suit like I would wear to work. One time in the summer I wore a jean jumper type thing and really was not dressed up at all, not compared to normal and a lady said to me, "oh, you dressed up today?" I was shocked since I had dressed up way more the Sundays I wore a pant suit. I swore from that day forward I would never wear a skirt or dress. I never let my husband buy another white shirt either.

Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:41AM

Isn't it strange? Almost like she was mocking the jumpsuit you were wearing that day, while hinting that your usual pant suits were never dressy or formal enough. Either she's that oblivious to fashion or she was giving you a back-handed compliment. I don't think Jesus would care as much as TSCC does what people are wearing, as long as they were more interested in his message... I also had a Mormon friend at the church (she's more of a NOM and has a groovy style) who wore jeans sometimes and shorter skirts with leggings. No one cared, at least not the rest of the youth, not sure about adults. She was pretty amazing, so I guess that trumps casual dress and immodesty. Yet I got flack if I wore black pants instead of my usual skirt. I guess they don't consider that dressed up, and it's considered improper or not showing respect for God. Who knows.

Posted by: Antonio Bergamasco ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 03:53AM

The active members always dressed to the occasion. Me too. It made me feel part of the group. But we were perenially outnumbered by newish investigators (most didn't come more than a few times) who tended to dress apropriately for any church or mosque, but not for TSCC. Young men in classic denim (no shorts, no torn denims, no patches, but maybe bleached) with a conservative belt, a plain tight t-shirt or polo (no large texts, prints or patterns) and dark sneakers (nothing phosphorescent). Girls in pants under a short dress, jeans under a miniskirt, a little black dress, things they'd wear at exams in school. So the members still stood out in a way.

We were always kind when we explained "the unwritten rules" and made a point of making them feel welcome. I remember an inactive young man who decided to come back to church after a one-year hiatus while on his way home from the disco. He had to choose between going home first to change and be late, or come in his white slacks and tight bright red t-shirt and be punctual. He chose to come as he was and nobody disagreed except for one holier-than-thou member. He became the next bishop, and that is when the young men left for good, and me a few months later.

Posted by: Antonio Bergamasco ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 03:09PM

... and the young man in red and white left shortly after that.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 08:56AM

My sister-in-law was visiting her mother which happened to be Easter weekend. Her mother, a devout Baptist, asked SIL to come to church but SIL tried to beg off because she didn't have anything church appropriate to wear. Her mother still insisted.

One of the biddies commented "wouldn't you think people would get dressed up for church on Easter of all days?" To which SIL's mom replied "wouldn't you think that people would be welcoming to the stranger on Easter of all days?"

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 09:47AM

One fellow in a ward I attended wore his NY Mets baseball uniform to Church one Sunday.

Is that an example of what you are talking about? Or would that be too "dressy?"

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:22PM

I was once reprimanded for wearing shoes that didn't match when I showed up for church. My left foot was in a very nice, black dress shoe. The right one was in a loose, fuzzy slipper. Of course, the right one was also in a cast, with the slipped just put on over it to keep my foot warm. But, according to the councilor in the bishopric, that was no reason for appearing that way in "the Lord's house" on "the Sabbath". I was told that I should show more respect for the Lord even if that meant going through the pain of wearing an "uncomfortable" shoe over the cast. The man was an idiot. As if a regular shoe is even going to fit over a foot in a cast!

The friend who had given me a ride to church that day -- hard to drive with the accelerator foot in a cast -- was even more stunned than I was. He was the one to speak up first, calling the guy out on the stupidity and rudeness. We both just turned around and went home. He ended up leaving the LDS church shortly after I did; he says that was one of the events that brought him to the point of taking a good, long look at it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:50PM

I ALWAYS dress for funerals...a matter of respect for the deceased and their family. But I've been to a number of LDS funerals over the past few years where some people, young and old alike are dressed like they're going to Walmart...or worse. Do they not own a better set of clothes?...or just don't care what they look like in public. And that includes some young Mormon kids wearing worn running shoes and shirts not tucked in...I guess I'm too old fashioned...or something.

Ron Burr

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 03:01PM

Ugh! I went to a mormon funeral recently and there was a few people there in jeans and flip flops. It really bothered me. Did they not know they were going to be going to a funeral?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.