Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 02:19AM

We've been nice to these kids - fed them (we are an ideal target, a "part member" family since I jumped ship years ago.)

This senior comp started getting really pushy - right in DH's face. (It's a good thing I wasn't there. I would have ripped him a new one.) DH related this after they left.

He said it was more like a high-pressure used car salesman. First, it was "Why are you shirking your priesthood duties? Why aren't you paying tithing?" And the real corker: WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO GET YOU BACK TO CHURCH?

DH told me, "We NEVER treated anybody like that on our mission! We would have had to walk all the way back home (from Central America)."

He said "That arrogant punk kid DOES NOT speak for Jesus! He hardens people's hearts and turns them away."

He said he was considering contacting the MP and demanding that we be placed on the "Do Not Contact" list (which we all know is about as worthwhile as a condom full of pinholes). But he was very emphatic. "I can't believe that they train missionaries to be abusive and manipulative like that. It is WRONG!"

We have an upcoming visit with the HT in a few days, and it will be interesting if DH brings this up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:27AM

The "what would it take" line is, just, wow. Where did he learn that from? Honest Bob's Cream Puff Used Cars?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:35AM

"is about as worthwhile as a condom full of pinholes"? I'd like to add it to my Simile File.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 03:36AM by Beth.

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:58AM

Posted by: TooLazy ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 09:59AM

Love it, OP! I'll be hoping maybe your spouse sees the light now.

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:38AM

We have had one of those in my ward for a few months now. He has no concept of Mr. Fat is at work and cannot answer his phone and/or door during certain hours.

The worst incident with this boy involved a certain pickle vendor Apostle. He tried to get me to skip work to see Bednar by claiming that my grandfather was in the hospital. Naturally I went to work and my grandfather is as healthy as he is going to be.

Lately I have been ignoring the little pr*** so I could concentrate more on my job and home duties rather than imaginary priesthood duties.

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 02:45AM

What!? That is horrible. I think the MP needs to find out about that incident.

Maybe the next time tell him that he is not being "honest in his dealings" and, therefore, is allowing Satan to influence him. There's nothing like throwing the Satan card at them.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:39AM

Let us know if anything interesting happens during the HT visit.

And yes, missionary training is quite aggressive. They are very pressured to never take no for an answer in order to "fulfill their purpose"

Date: July 28, 2014 06:47PM

I have a sneaky feeling that HT uses any dining at this restaurant for tax deductions.

I asked DH if he said anything about said Elder. He just shook his head and said, "There's no point. You know how he always has a comeback for everything. I just wasn't in the mood."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 06:27AM

Mormons often assume the ends justify the means and this kid fell for it. Likely he thought the holy ghost was making him act like that.

He won't likely learn a lesson from this but his companion might.

Date: July 28, 2014 01:02AM

Nasty little prick probably has a great future all lined up in the church hierarchy.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 08:54AM

He blew it. As soon as he said, "What would it take," he revealed his hand. Hubby is only a number to him. He's trying to close the deal.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:02AM

I did not understand why they are in your home.

To reactivate your husband and reconvert you?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:04AM

How does he know DH's tithing status?????????????

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:08AM

Since Mormons have no comprehension of social boundaries, I cannot see justification in handling them with kid gloves.

Order them off your property. If that is ignored, file criminal complaints against them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:38AM

unfortunately, arrogance is LDS SOP.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 10:11AM

They are their own worst enemy for sure. When you DH finally leaves I would send this particular missionary a thank you note.

Date: July 28, 2014 06:53PM

I don't know if DH will ever really resign. I have never pushed him to do so. I occasionally drop stuff that I have read here, about the latest brayings from the stable in SLC, or horror stores that various people have told.

I've made it clear to everyone that DH's decisions are HIS OWN.

But as so many of us have said, he misses the church that he grew up in. It has changed, and not for the better.

Posted by: Ballard's Used Cars ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 08:03PM

"So, what are you looking at for your monthly payment? You bet, we can make that work."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.