Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:09AM

For those of you who know TBM's, what do they think of Modern Family? Its a great family friendly show but they have two gay dads on it. Do they still watch it? Do they shun the show or are they fine with it? Does it change their perception of gays?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:28AM

I think Modern Family is one of the best shows on television today. I would think most mormons would hate it for the following reasons....

Gay couple that has adopted a child from another race.

A mixed race and age marriage..Jay and Gloria. Second marriage for Jay.

Obvious remarks that the oldest Daughter Hailey, is having sexual relations with her boyfriend.

Phil Dunphy's wife working outside the home.

Lots of drinking.

The appearance of men not viewed as priesthood holders, such as the family openly questioning male judgement, or discernment.

The family's apparent acceptance, of not only the gay relationship in the family, but actually speaking and fellowshipping friends of the gay couple that also suffer from same sex attraction. Dallin Oakes would not approve.

Glorias son Manny is quite often wooing young women, which is an obvious clue that he is a masturbator.

I have never seen any of them have home or visiting teachers at any of their homes, nor has any reference been given of them home traching others.

Problems in the home are never portrayed to be counseled by their bishop. Prayer is never portrayed in the show.

Luke and Manny are of the age they should be boy scouts, preferably eagle scouts.

The women in the show wear immodest clothing, particularly Gloria, the lamanite woman with the illegal immigrant accent.

There was an episode where a motorcycle was driven.

Mormons would be counseled to hate this show.

Posted by: Fenwick Montgomery ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:29AM

My parents do but they're not utards.

Posted by: Fakempire ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:32AM

My TBM in-laws watch it. I think they like the characters of Mitch and Cam, although I bet it makes them uncomfortable when they show affection or kiss. But I'm glad that doesn't stop them from watching it and liking it, and I think it's a good way for them to see that a same sex marriage/family is no different than anyone else's. I hope it somehow helps them open their minds to be more accepting and realize that love is love and family is family regardless if someone is gay or not.

Posted by: Prosper ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:44AM

kids shouldnt have 2 dads or 2 moms. sorry.

if a dude wants to be with a dude, fine i'm not gonna stop you. but dude+dudecannot create baby. just doesn't work that way.

Oh and before you call me bigot, I also think that single people should not adopt, and I am single, so I'm applying this all to myself here. Kids should have mom and dad. Sorry, it's just one man's opinion, you going to scream at me for expressing it?

I can hear it already, but couples divorce and kids are left with single parents all the time. Yes, but it doesnt mean we don't try to do it the right way the best we can.

Posted by: smoteheadofshiz ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 02:39AM

Prosper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> kids shouldnt have 2 dads or 2 moms. sorry.
>
> ... Kids should have mom and dad.

Just curious; Why do you believe this exactly? Your opinion certainly isn't backed by any scientific evidence...

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:10AM

Luckily your opinion has no bearing on reality and the choices others make.

A kid with two dads or two moms is a lucky kid indeed. Far luckier than a kid with no parents at all, or a kid with parents who never wanted them to begin with.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 07:03AM

I was raised by a sh!tty mom and sh!tty dad. Their sh!tty parenting scared their 5 children for life.

I would have FAR preferred being raised by a good mom and mom or a good dad and dad. Even in the 1970's when it would have made me a social outcast.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:27AM

The trouble is (and I'm speaking as a teacher) some kids with a mom and a dad have terrible parents. Some kids with single or gay parents have wonderful parents.

What about parents who are widowed, and do not remarry? What about children who are sent to live with grandparents or relatives for various reasons? I sense that you have led a very sheltered life, my friend.

Date: July 27, 2014 11:46AM

Some of the very BEST parents I know are gay, and their children could not be more happy, well-adjusted, and loved. Have you ever personally known a gay couple with children? Have you ever actually been into one of their homes? I'd be very surprised if you have, because your viewpoint on this issue is terribly small-minded.

Please watch this video clip and hear what a college student had to say a few years ago about being raised by two moms. It's pretty incredible.

http://youtu.be/yMLZO-sObzQ

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:32PM

What a load of hogwash!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:47PM

"Yes, but it doesnt mean we don't try to do it the right way the best we can." LOL comedy gold

Date: July 27, 2014 12:33AM

I forgot a couple of other things.

Mitch is gay, wears a beard, and is an environmental lawyer. Perhaps even (gasp) a Democrat!!

That alone should make mormons hate them.

Posted by: Fenwick Montgomery ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:35AM

All you needed to mention was the beard; the impropriety!

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:34AM

I have TBM family that LOVE it.

Date: July 27, 2014 12:39AM

I have no way to explain it, but both of my uber TBM sisters love that show.

Ironically, it is I the exMo who have no interest in it. Watching 2 gay dudes pretend to be parents is just not for me. Now if it was two hot lesbian chicks then I might consider.

And save your venom that I can already see coming for not wanting to watch a gay couple. You like it, fine. I don't, that's my business. Isn't that what diversity is all about? I have to like what you like?

There are a lot of reasons to like or not like shows. I have no interest in watching fat couple mike and molly. Do I hate fat people? No. My favorite thing ever is Laurel and Hardy.

I cannot watch Everybody Loves Raymond or King of Queens. Way to much marital conflict. Not funny at all. Does that mean I hate straight married couples?

My favorite show on tv is 2 Broke Girls. Created and made by a way out in the open gay dude. And that show loves gays and I love that show. So there you go.

Sitcoms in the 70s were so much better. Give me Good Times, give me Brady Bunch, give me Different Strokes. Now THOSE were some funny shows.

This new stuff like Modern Family and Office is just lame. Sorry.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:10AM

The Brady Bunch???

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:33PM

"Watching 2 gay dudes pretend to be parents is just not for me. Now if it was two hot lesbian chicks then I might consider."

You're a fucking hypocrite and a bigot.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:40AM

Both my TBM kids watch it, record it & love it.

The show also has a "metrosexual" dad, with whom I'm madly in love.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:46AM

Yes, the Utah culture loves the modern family series. I have family and close Co-workers that love the show...as do I :) This has been my personal experience, and hell yes..the viewers in "Zion"..love this.show

Date: July 27, 2014 01:02AM

The Brethren must be hating this.

Date: July 27, 2014 01:26AM

I am absolutely, sure they do. Sucks to be old and callous.

Date: July 27, 2014 12:49AM

It would be great if the Packer or Oakes publicly demanded mormons not watch Modern Family during their general conference performance.

Date: July 27, 2014 12:57AM

They will never..for many reasons. Mostly, their enjoyment and thrill for a great script.
.It's a great show and deep in the morg, I have never heard a complaint about the.show..

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:01AM

Doesn't the actor that plays Phil have a bar or cafe in Salt Lake?

Date: July 27, 2014 12:28PM

Yep he does, in fact I think he owns two now. He lives in SLC in the Avenues somewhere (that is when he's not filming in LA).

Date: July 27, 2014 01:04AM

Yes, he does. Most in Utah don't know that..if they paid attention, they would.

Posted by: cc halo ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:30AM

Ann Romney said that Modern Family was her favorite show.

Posted by: Carl Pagan ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:51AM

Modern Family is aimed at mature (at least to the age of 12), intelligent people with a sense of humour.

Mormons are therefore excluded from its audience.

Posted by: HappyandFree ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 02:44AM

My Utah Valley TBM brother and his wife and kids LOVE Modern Family.

Yes, the actor who plays Phil Dunphy, Ty Burrell, has a house in SLC and co-owns a bar in downtown SLC.

Posted by: nolongersearching27 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:29AM

My TBM brother and his wife LOVE Modern Family..... which confuses me.....

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:32AM

My TBM in-laws enjoy it.

Also, why all the hate? Mormon judgmentalism is bad, but so is a lot of what I'm seeing in this thread. Things like:

"Modern Family is aimed at... intelligent people. Mormons are therefore excluded."

"Mitch is gay, wears a beard, and is an environmental lawyer. Perhaps even (gasp) a Democrat!! That alone should make mormons hate them."

"Mormons would be counseled to hate this show."

C'mon. It's a funny show! At the end of the day, people don't watch TV to get messaged. They do it to laugh, or to escape from things, or to have background noise. And ironically enough, "Modern Family" promotes family togetherness in a way that probably appeals to LDS families. I don't understand why people want to project some kind of hate/bigotry onto others when they have not expressed it themselves.

Posted by: RS Dropout ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 09:41AM

MY TBM friend loves it, but is very against gay people. When I asked why she's okay with the show she said the gay couple doesn't really seem gay to her. Um.....okay?

Posted by: 2+2=4 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:51AM

I have been wondering if the new character, the male nanny that Phil and Gloria employ, is supposed to be Mormon.

He has the whole sanitized/earnest attitude, appearance, voice, persona. He also has a girlfriend in Utah who he was supposed to be flying out to visit in the last two (wedding) episodes of the season...the GF was however texting him not to come; he was having a hard time picking up on the probability that he was being dumped. The more socially experienced Dunphy daughter, the older one, who previously treated this squeaky clean character with disdain, was part of that subplot. She is warming up to him, she is displaying compassion toward his being dumped by text, and his naïveté about the GF. She is also beginning to be charmed by his refreshing-for-LA goodness.

I also recall that when Ann Romney made the comment about Modern Family being her favorite show, someone associated with the show, was it the actor who plays Mitch?...retorted with a fairly strongly worded comment critical of her opposition to gay marriage.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:34PM

She has every season so far on DVD and watches it over and over again.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:42PM

I see them all as a family unit more than I see some TBM families being family. I can only dream of being part of something like they have.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.