Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: O'Brien ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 09:09PM

Well, a funny thing happened today, for the first time I have lived here and after resigning I thought I was off the cults radar, I get the sales force knocking at the door. And they asked if I was me by name!

Well, being in a bit of a playful mood and also wanting to find out how they found me, I let them in (I had a friend round at the time for a brew and a bash of a game we are both playing so this was a shock for him, he knows my thoughts on that lot). Also it was hotter than Stan's kitchen, and these buggers are in a shirt and tie as well as to top it off being on bikes, so ice cold fluid was provided. During this I asked how they got hold of my info. This is a cracker, some SOB went on the chat and said "Hey, go and bug this guy" and told them my address. And they did..

Actually had quite a pleasant chat, after saying I am an ex-member and getting the "why?". I explained that I left due to finding out a lot of things that are doctrinal, historical and stuff that made me go "No bloody way!". Went on to discuss lightly ol' Joe's polyandary, the MMM, the BoA, and pre-78. I started with a quick example of the changes that have never been made in the intro to the BoM, they had the new one and I still have a 82 edition. That made them think as after that they were polite to listen and not throw things to derail me.
One thing that worried me a bit is that when I mentioned the 11th AoF they couldnt recite it. And for some reason they only seemed to be packing the blue BoM's so they couldnt look it up. Thats a new one on me, when did that become practice? They looked it up and agreed. The older one became very interested when I showed them the info on TSCC's own website.

Had a bit of a chat as well, the younger companion was facinated with what I was saying and the older one was doing a bit of thinking. Asked them how they were holding up and being away from home and all social contact and they found it hard and stress city. Once the cult stuff was out of the way they relaxed and were themselves they were genuinly nice guys. I offered them use of the computer if they wanted to send any messages home. Also said to them if they need fluid, or just to take off the badge and relax that they are welcome on the proviso there is no discussion of religion, prayers or messages of any sort and just be themselves.

Hopefully I have planted some seeds of thought. Maybe one of them will start looking at what I showed them and find his way out.

I'm proud of myself for being pleasant and not tearing them a new orifice. My fience called it a day on Tuesday and I am still a bit upset inside at the min. It may have been a civilised break up but it still f£*%&^@# hurts. Am glad I didnt take that out on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 05:00PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:08PM

Be proud of yourself.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:18PM

That's awesome. That's exactly the type of missionary encounters I'd like to have. Good on you for being cordial and friendly, yet educating them. So many here seem hostile to missionaries. I feel sorry for them.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:44PM

Great job!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:48PM

A coworker who was fed up with a supervisor sent the supervisor's name to Army recruiters, who showed up at the office.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:55PM

"It may have been a civilised break up but it still f£*%&^@# hurts. Am glad I didnt take that out on them."

Good for you for separating those experiences and emotions. I'm beyond impressed. I'm sorry about the breakup. She lost a good one.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 11:41PM

Awesome. I'd like to have some encounters like that! Hopefully you planted some seeds of sanity.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 11:50PM

Great missionary moment!

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:46AM

It sounds like you handled that perfectly. I hope those young men come back and take you up on your offer. I feel so sorry for missionaries.

About your break-up --- that totally sucks! I just broke up with my b/f a couple weeks ago and it seems every day is a struggle. Hang in there and keep up the good work!

Posted by: Fenwick Montgomery ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:48AM

From your subject line I expected they'd have presented a more effeminate disposition, but maybe flaming means something else across the pond.

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:50AM

Hopefully they'll be here posting their own story leaving TSCC!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:18PM

Pat yourself on the back! You were civil, polite and explained your position in an adult fashion.
Good for you!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.