Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 02:17PM

Yesterday was a busy day for exmormon me.
I distributed all 100 of my little business sized cards that said:

Things most people don't know about mormonism

MormonThink.com

I left them in a restroom, on my table at lunch. on a few benches, in the pockets of some clothes I tried on. I left them here there and everywhere I went, until they were gone. It was great fun!

Then I talked to my TBM sister. My head is still spinning from that conversation.
I asked her if she understood why I had left the church. She said, yes, it's not true. I had to take a second to take that in. I asked her if she agreed with me. She said YES!
She and her husband both, don't believe any of it!
I've talked to this person almost every day for 25 years. She's said a lot of things that made me wonder, but she's never come right out and said she didn't believe it.
So then, I have to ask her why they are still doing the whole mormon thing. She said mostly it's her husband. He's from a huge mormon family. He can't handle the thought of being shunned by them. Then she told me she only goes once a month. Sometimes not even that often. She said people think she's not there for health reasons.
The whole conversation was quite a shock to me. This was the most TBM of my TBM siblings. I think she's still a little nervous about discussing why she thinks it's all a load of crap. That's ok. I'm just thrilled I'm not the only one in my family that has seen the light. I can hardly believe what I heard yesterday. I never thought it would happen. Yesterday was a very good day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 02:18PM by Mia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 02:22PM

Well done, thou faithful servant!!
Mia, you make me all the more proud to be an ex mormon!

Im so glad you stood up for the truth, no matter what.
I think your sister is proud too.
Way. To. Go.!!!!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 02:46PM

DH has pencils made each year with exmo messages.

Examples:

Tired of wearing secret mormon underwear?

Offended by mormon dead dunking?

He carries them every day of his life and generously hands them out to anyone who's interested.

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 02:52PM

Good for you!

And great idea with the cards. I'm totally going to do that.

Posted by: bc ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 02:52PM

Awesome!

Posted by: Greg ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 02:56PM

Wow, that would be a dream come true for me, to hear of someone in my family, anyone, siblings, children, nieces and nephews, you name it, has come to see TSCC for what it really is! good for you, that really is great to hear!

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 03:32PM

Mia, You Rock!!
I'm so happy for you especially about the conversation with your sister. ;)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 04:08PM

Fantastic. You almost make me have hope it could happen in my family.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 04:22PM

I love it - thanks for sharing.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 07:33PM

I only recently learned you're the webmaster of that site. It is a fantastic reference. Thanks for taking the trouble to compile all that information. It must have taken a great deal of time.

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 04:36PM

If I remember correctly, that whole business-card idea started out with your home-teachers' visit just this past weekend, right?

Congratulations on bringing the light of truth to the HT's. Looks like you've really got that business-card thing working for you.

Oh, here's another idea for where to leave those cards: oftentimes, evangelists and Jehovah's Witnesses like to leave their indoctrinating material at laundromats and other such public places. Heck, I've even seen desktop cardholders designated specifically for evangelists to leave their material, labeled something like "Gospel Tracts" or whatever. Maybe you can leave some of your "Mormon Think" cards right next to those Watchtower and Awake! magazines and in those Gospel Racks to provide some much-needed balance in those areas.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 05:38PM

Wow, Mia, what a great story. You give me hope for a better time with my family. Thank you for sharing and passing out those cards .

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 05:57PM

I love that Mia! Congratulations! I'm hoping for the day one of my siblings will announce that too.

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 07:48PM

That does sound amazing! I am jealous I can't say the same for many people in my life but I hold out hope one day they will get there.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 08:19PM

Mia, that is wonderful. Now you can look at each other at family gatherings and have a smile or two when they get all Mormony together. And I love how you distributed cards. Good job. People need to know. And they need to know by October.

Posted by: baabaablacksheep ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 08:33PM

Thanks Mia! You inspired me! I have wanted to expose the true history of the church with others but didn't know how to. Just went on Facebook and posted:

"Mormonthink.com

Finally, truth Mormons can sink their teeth into...."

Hope it reaches just ONE person and frees them from the morg! The card idea is great too! Maybe I'll give it a try in the future.

baabaablacksheep

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 08:35PM

I'm glad you have found another family member who sees things similarly to you.

Posted by: pamarnold ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 08:57PM

Mia...that is wonderful news. That is all of our dreams. I would love to have the three most significant adults in my life say they had found out that it really was a load of crap. I am going to make those cards too. It is the BEST idea ever!

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 10:20PM

Pure brilliance! Love that story and am so happy for you and your sister!

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 01:59AM

That is that our loved ones join them on the "outside," even if only in spirit.

Congratulations! (I hope someday to know what it's like to feel what you are feeling now.)

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 02:05AM

I am so happy about your amazing ex Mormon day! If it can happen for you I just know it can happen for some of us too! Good idea with making up cards.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 03:49AM

Awesome and I LOVE mormonthink!

Posted by: anonough ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 05:15AM

Mia, I am doing this very think Today! Great idea!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.