Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NeverbeenaMormon ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 04:27AM

.....or do they travel so much that they get a pass on being attached to one particular chapel?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 07:53AM

My wife's grandparents lived down the hall from one of the apostles. It's a nice condo high rise down the street from the SLC temple. When we would visit, if this apostle was in town, he would be at church on Sunday.

Posted by: T ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:20AM

Why are these people called apostles?

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:51PM

Because there are 12 of them.

Posted by: bratschedan ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 07:54AM

Jeffrey Holland attends a ward in Midway, UT.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 09:52AM

Yes, they do. Although they probably attend their normal ward only about 25-75% of the time (depending on the GA), since they're always sent around the world on assignments, having meetings, having to go to Stake Conferences, visiting missions, etc.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:24AM

So, do they have to go to their local Bishop when their temple recommend needs renewed? Does the Bishop ask them if they live the law of chastity? Tithing? Up to date on any child support obligations? Let's see, what else...anyhow, then they have to go to their Stake President for the final sign off? Hmmmmm

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:52AM

I've heard they're tithing exempt. I've also heard they have special lifetime recommends that look different than the peons. That would mean no interviews for them.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 03:20PM

They might as well be tithing exempt. They get all their money from the church, so they'd just be giving money back straight away. Not to mention, if they did pay tithing simply out of formality, they could just pay themselves extra so they could still pay tithing but not be any worse off. There's pretty much no point in them paying tithing at that stage tbh.

Posted by: slipperyslope ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 03:40PM

Many of them have outside income sources. Surely they would tithe that?

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 10:46PM

When I was in the military I got all my income from the Federal Government but still had to pay income tax.

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 03:13PM

Interesting, thanks for your answers

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 03:43PM

Perhaps lifetime tithing relief is a perk that goes along with the Super Secret Very Special Ultra Anointing that Tom Phillips got.

Maybe he could weigh in.

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:04AM

They demonstrate their humility, which of course NEEDS demonstrating because they have so little.

A friend of mine grew up on the East Bench with Gordon Hinckley in his ward. Said he was a cold sob who refused to take his water turn with the peons.

Anybody whose lived in the country knows that stealing someone else's water turn is close to murder because you are depriving a family of irrigation water for their FOOD.

I've told this story to audiences without any reaction at all- (city folk, right?) But to a rural group - audible gasps.

Maybe that was why he was so scared to die!

Kathleen waters

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:33AM

The BP who yelled at me and told me to "move out of my ward" stole water from his widowed neighbor downstream two turns over.
He'd get a little extra by adjusting the wiffle board or reopening his flood gate to add extra to his garden.

He'd brag about how well his garden did.
No one ever knew if he shared anything from his garden with the poor and needy in the ward on DI food.

When the widow came around half way through her water turn to find the BP had stolen it, he said "Well I didn't think you wanted it today." WTF??? Where did he get that idea?

He was just a thief, plain and common.

He was the same douche who made like the church was going to give out big fancy hams for Christmas and brought a little DI salt cured three pound ham. (For a familiy of seven)

Put on a lot of airs he did.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 04:50PM

I have met the Bishop who is over Boyd K. Packer's ward. I've actually attend that ward years ago and saw Boyd sitting on the stand. Any closet exmos in that particular ward?

Date: July 26, 2014 05:04PM

That was going to be my follow-up really - what do they do? Do they outrank the Bishop in the ward or does he oversee them? Do they sit with the congregation or on the stand?

Posted by: al-iced ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 05:13PM

Does Boyd K. Pecker's bishop cross exam him in worthiness interviews?

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 05:32PM

Supposedly, they still get home teachers also. Although maybe my EQ president was making shit up to get us to do home teaching.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 05:10AM

Not sure about the males and home teaching, but I know for certain that the GA's wives take part in Visiting Teaching in their local ward. Or at least they have the option to.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 07:24PM

They are tithing exempt. I don't have the reference here, but they exempted themselves long ago from paying tithing. Michael Quinn documented this, I believe, in one of his books.

They have lifetime, plastic, permanent temple recommends also. So no worthiness interviews.

Tithing and bi-annual underwear checks are for the little people. Of course.

Posted by: Yes Virginia ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:56AM

Thirty years ago, I was the bishop of a ward in which a senior apostle lived. He had been an influential businessman before his calling.

- He always appeared for tithing settlement. He would declare a full tithe on a relatively small side income. But he didn't leave it at that. He would explain in some detail why he -- god's own apostle -- didn't have MORE to declare. I found it sad that he had to justify this to me -- his lowly bishop.

- He didn't need a temple recommend from me. As I recall, neither did his wife.

- He attended our sacrament meeting and priesthood meeting (never Sunday School) about once a month. He always sat on the stand -- next to me or to the stake president who was also in the ward. We always offered -- and he always took -- a few minutes to speak to the ward. Afterward he would usually compliment me or the counselor on our management skills. He did take me to task once for allowing a new convert to play his guitar in sacrament meeting.

Date: July 27, 2014 03:13PM

Fascinating, thanks for the info

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:32PM

But he LOVES him some big-ass Pipe Organs!

Posted by: braindead ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:06PM

James and Ruth Faust lived in our ward. My father & mother-in-law were their home teachers. DH and I filled in as their home teachers when his parents were traveling.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.