Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:36PM

Anyone on the board watching The Leftovers? I had an interesting experience while talking with my cousin and then my friend about this show.
I told my cousin about the premise of the show, that many people just disappeared all of the sudden without explanation and the show is the aftermath of that disappearance. I mentioned to my cousin (TBM) that the minister on the show was adamant that the disappearance was NOT the Rapture. My cousin immediately asked what the Rapture is. TBMs don't have any idea about it. So, I told her what my understanding of it is. She actually said "Do people really believe that?" She sounded like she was very surprised that anyone could believe it.

I was a bit shocked that she asked that. I told her I certainly didn't think it was any more weird than believing that a 14 year old with a bad memory saw God and Jesus (or was it angels only) or was it just God? Or Just Jesus? (and when was this supposed to have happened?) in a grove in New York and started a religion in which God doesn't live anywhere near the planet He is supposedly in charge of, but instead on Kolob. She was somewhat upset with me, but dropped it.

But then I was talking to a friend (Christian) about the same thing. I told her how the minister was certain it could not be the Rapture. She immediately said "Of course it was the Rapture." I told her why the show's minister thought it could not be it. My friend was just appalled that people would not believe that it was the Rapture since it is in the Bible.

I think The Rapture is as unbelievable as Kolob. Could someone who disagrees with this enlighten me?
What really surprised me is that the same show is really having radically different impacts on different people. Anyone who is watching this series have an opinion about it?
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 08:46PM by verilyverily.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:41PM

I find it absolutely riveting so far. I need to read the book to get a more in-depth understanding of the show.

It's funny that your TBM friend didn't know about the rapture- when I was a teen, Rapture either referred to the Blondie hit (eating cars, Rapture!) or a heroine from the Image comic series, Savage Dragon.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:45PM

Mormons don't know a thing about a lot of common christian conventions.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:30PM

nonsequiter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons don't know a thing about a lot of common
> christian conventions.

Mormons really know very little about ANY religion, including their own.

It was kind of a sticky issue once when I told a couple of missionaries they should not use the term "elders" because the term denotes knowledge, age, and experience...and they were lacking in all of these areas.

Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 08:52AM

It funny you mention the elders thing because my hubby who is a Baptist is appauled that they call them elders. He told me those kids don't know anything and certainly don't deserve the Elder title it just gets his goat lol

Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 10:22AM

On the leftovers topic I was wondering what is the cause of the people that smoke like freight trains and wear white, don't speak etc. I don't seem to quit understand there cause I guess can anyone enlighten me?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:54AM

I don't get that smoking thing or the white thing either. The only remote connection I made (which is lame I admit) is when they said "stop wasting your breath" or something like that. I just figured that if they smoke enough they won't have a breath to waste. Like I said, that is all I could come up with and YES it is lame. Anyone else?

Date: August 09, 2014 01:45PM

First, I'm going to tell you the book and the series are very different, but the gist is pretty much the same. The series is actually much darker than the book.

The reason the G.R. smokes is a proclamation of their faith. Weird, right? It's because they don't believe there is a future and don't have to worry about health. They watch people they think they can recruit, which seemed pretty obvious anyway.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: August 09, 2014 01:52PM

For me, the G.R. people are really, really, really starting to grate on my nerves.

Because they are a cult? (PTSD to my TBM days?)

Because they exploit the people that weren't rapturized (the leftovers I suppose)?

Because they are cast as smug and presumptuous?

Because they are cast with a flat affect, uncaring?

But, alas, I LOVE the series. Interesting interplay of the human condition.

Date: August 09, 2014 01:54PM

Just because they all live together, stalk people, wear similar clothing, aren't supposed to speak, and are asked to cut ties with family and friends, they say they're not a cult, so they must not be one. ;)

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 10:02AM

I was excited to watch the show after seeing the previews. But I just can't get into it.

The white clad smoking people-I don't get. The dog getting shot in front of that guy. The mom...

Maybe I need to watch episode one again and watch the other two.

I did that with Extant and I am finally up to date and get it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.