Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 11:58AM

I was doing some spring cleaning this weekend and came across the letter the LDS Church sent me when we resigned. It had this stupid little threatening pamphlet with it...

My eyes were drawn to the statement of how my entire family had lost its ordinances and bla bla bla.

I was thinking about what a crock of crap this was:

a) We have to go through some fairly elaborate procedures to get our ordinances (baptism, endowment, etc) when you consider it in the first place.

b) Yet it only takes a piece of paper saying we want to resign to remove all these ordinances? Wait--no ceremony? No undunking, no unendowing, no boring movies, no 2 melchezidek priestood holders? WTF??

I still can't wrap my head around how a covenent made between you and god can be undone by men with a piece of paper in about 2 seconds.

It certainly goes to show you none of it is really necessary if it can be taken away so easily.

I'm not buying any of it. Its all about power and control.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 12:24PM

Damn fear tactics.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 12:31PM

I sure hadn't thought of that; Excellent Point!

Of course they'll spin it saying they must conform to your wishes because of legal decisions, etc

Posted by: RG001 ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 01:52PM

The fact that they believe a "covenant" can be undone so easily shows that it was a sham in the first place. This cultlike hook (tied directly to money, as you can't go to the temple without having paid tithing) shows what the morg really is. A cult to get money.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 05:18PM

Wouldn't it be invalid anyway because it's based on a big ol' fat lie?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 09:19PM

All it takes to undo your covenants with God is to move your names in their computers to the "resigned" category. By changing the pattern of magnetic storage in the computer system all of your blessings and covenants are rendered null and void.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 09:41PM

I'm honestly surprised that there isn't a fee involved with removing your name from church membership. Y'know, like a "processing" fee? lol

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 09:55PM

I baptized a guy. Years later a really nasty bishop and really nasty stake pres wanted to ex com him. It was on a technicality, well actually it was on an ulterior motive. His wife was mentally ill, and he had the audacity to tell the priesthood authority types that she needed REAL clinical help, and that their typical (SPIN THE MORmON Advice wheel) do your home teaching!, read your scriptures!, Have family home evening!, get a priesthood blessing! etc, MORmON style advice really was NOT going to do any good. The wanted him out on a technicality. I was at his high counsel court.

I had known all along that the LDS attack on him was founded on viciousness, not on principle. And yes, they told him about the loss of his saving ordinances. My family knew I was deeply troubled over this and they were afraid of how it might impact my membership and feelings about "THE" church. I was told to not worry, that Jesus would work everything out later. WHich naturally made me ask "then why are we were so worried about doing any stupid MORmON *saving* ordinances right now anyway ?"

Later, the technicality they wanted to use to ex com suddenly very clearly weighed in my friends favor when it was fully investigated, instead of going against him. The Local LDS INC reps called to tell him the good news -he could be reinstated sooner than expected. his news to them? - SCREW YOU!
I could never take the church as seriously after that and soon left it myself.

just as you observed LDS Inc reserves the right to nullify or reinstate a saving ordinance by simple decree. so if they really have "nothing what ever to do with it (polygamy)" as Gordon BS Hinkcley claims, then WHY havent all of Joe and Brighams plural marriages been nullified?

health in the navel
marrow in the bones
no more MORmON knives in my back !

any of them that want tobao

Date: April 09, 2012 10:51PM

That sounds very familiar, Lucky. What was the technicality?

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 12:13AM

... well it is a fairly elaborate database... I wonder Which database software has the power to unseal on Earth and in heaven?

Posted by: An_Engineer ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 01:48PM

COB is an Oracle shop, but it's not standard Oracle 11g (Grid), they run Oracle 11c (Celestial). I can only imagine the licensing fees for that extra feature.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 03:27PM

Isn't it hard to get a temple divorce? Or is that undone too when someone leaves? I think you are only as good as your last day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 03:28PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 04:47PM

Well, isn't a covenant a two-sided agreement? If you fail to live up to your side (obeying the Commandments Of God, as delivered by TSCC), doesn't that automatically nullify the other side (being...told you're set in the afterlife, I guess)?

I'm... kind of on TSCC's "side" with this one, at least as far as that goes. I mean, it sounds like you're complaining that you had your "100% gold* Folex watch-like product" was repossessed because you stopped making your $500/month payments on it. That's their legal right. Right?

*Gold colored. No claims about mineral composition are implied.

Date: April 10, 2012 05:15PM

@ Schmendrick.

A contract is only good if both parties are aware of all the facts. A contact based on a lie or through coercion is not binding. Therefor, that's the first problem.

The second problem is convincing me that after all the elaborate steps to get some ordinances in the first place (TR, ceremonies in temples etc.) was neccesary.

It seems a bit much that these ordinaces, given all the effort it took to get them, can all be done away with a few keystrokes on the computer.

I don't care that the church took a fake ordinance(s) away, I'm just pointing out that if it is so easy to take them away, that its just more proof the whole thing is a joke.

So then, what is the REAL purpose of ordinance?

To bind the sheepie into doing whatever the church leadership wants: pay, pray and obey (preferrably quietly).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.