Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mormonista ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 05:42PM

The main reason, I left the the Church was had nothing to do with doctrinal issues. I had a few things on my shelf and there were a lot of things that I had questions about. But I had been taught that I would find the answers in "due time of the lord".

As a young husband and priesthood holder, I was often called on by my wife and my home teaching families,to provide Priesthood blessings. I was taught that Priesthood leaders were inspired. I was taught that any bright idea that I had regarding the quorums of which I was in the presidency, were inspirations directly from GHS(God Him Self).

After I was exed, while trying to be a good Mormon and work my way back into the church, I discovered that the Church did not produce inspirationaly. I discovered that the priesthood did not produce the promised results with any more frequency than Life. People were not healed more frequently than the miraculous healings of any other faith. After losing my priesthood, the inspirations(bright ideas) did not cease. The still small voice, still spoke to me.

The doctrinal issues and the stuff on my shelf really did not matter and still doesn't. It's definitely amusing and interesting and knowing what I know now, it is a very strong reassurance, that the decision to leave,was the right one.

So for all the church is and what it professes to be, It has to PRODUCE ,and it definitely has NOT!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 05:53PM

"what about the 'spiritual' experiences?"--

I call it intuition now, my own inner voice. I am more aware of it now and listen to it all the time now rather than if it goes along with church teachings or some authority in the lds church.

This issue always irritated me--that they thought they had a direct link with God and I needed to go through them.I even went to Boyd thinking he'd know how to help my situation. He just berated me in an extremely rude letter. I really truly thought they talked to God.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 06:02PM

All traditions have "spiritual experiences." Mormonism, however, hijacks those spiritual experiences and tries to convince you that they must be proof of Mormonism's veracity. They use the "fallacy of the excluded middle" to make you think you either have to claim you really didn't have those experiences or else that the Church must be true.

Of course, they avoid the obvious--that you did have the experiences and the Church is not true.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 10:22PM

Raised Mormon
Miserable childhood
Awful adolescence
Life out of Mormonism sweeter

What exactly was their offer?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.