Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sdee ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 03:26PM

Someone I'm online-acquainted with (through the local Mormon Stories group) recently posted on their FB status that they no longer consider themselves a member of the Church. Most of the following comments were supportive and loving, but a couple of people had to get their 2 cents in from the other side. "Sounds like you went to the internet for answers instead of the scriptures," "I wish you would read the BoM again and pray about it," "there are some blessings that you can only get as a member of the Church," and, of course, "I know that this is the only true church."

Every one of those phrases rubs me wrong, but the one I'm really fuming at is "read the BoM and pray about it."

First of all - what the hell do they think we've been doing all this time? They think we never prayed about it?

We prayed about it and didn't get any special confirmation that it was true. They say "keep trying, it will come." The only possible outcome you're ever presented with is "yes, it's true," so you just keep trucking, waiting for that to happen to you.

And if you say that you didn't receive the confirmation, chances are they'll say something along the lines of "You weren't trying hard enough," or "Your intent wasn't sincere," or they'll suggest you're doing something wrong (sinning, not reading your scriptures, etc.) so you're not getting answers.

But wait just a second. They also tell you that Heavenly Father will ALWAYS answer your prayers - that you're never too far gone to kneel and reach out to him. Caught up in the throws of sin? PRAY. You will get an answer. He's just waiting for you to come to Him.

So that solves that ridiculous statement.

Not to mention that if this Church and its scriptures are true, and God wants us to know that, that knowledge shouldn't be withheld based on worthiness.

And then there's the story about how Joe kept pressing God for a green light to let Harris take the 116 pages home. He kept asking and asking until he got the go ahead, and then as punishment, the manuscript was lost.

Doesn't that example teach us not to keep hassling God?

And during conference, one speaker (don't remember who) talked about trials of faith. Talked about how Susy, who had a stalwart testimony and lived so righteously, just kept getting hammered with shitty circumstances. Mentioned how "She was just so good that she needed just a little more polishing."

What, the, hell? I thought if you were righteous you'd be blessed for it? Which they'd answer with "she'll be blessed in the next life." Ooooh, okay.

These kinds of things bug the sh*t out of me. I realize that this stuff I'm talking about isn't anything new to most people here. But this is the kind of stuff I wish I could be more eloquent about when talking with believing family members.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 04:21PM by sdee.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bc ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 03:31PM

Moroni 10:4 says to pray and ask if the Book of Mormon is NOT true.

Sure enough I prayed and got the answer that it is NOT true. You are the one who read your scriptures wrong and got the wrong answer.

:)

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 03:32PM

I couldn't agree with you more! All of those regurgitated fb comments annoy me just as well because they are just that. Regurgitated statements that have been burned into every members brain to regurgitate upon ANY negativity aimed towards the "church."
It's like saying to someone "if I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you" lol

bugs the SH*T OUT OF ME TOO!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:40PM

This kind of thinking really bugs me. They don't think reading a 500 page book ONCE and praying about it deserves an answer? If God didn't bother to answer the first time, or the 5th time, or the 18th time, why would he bother to answer after a person stops actually believing he exists?

I know God is busy and all with 6-7 billion people on this planet, but this study and pray thing just isn't working out for a lot of people. Maybe He should have his own channel on TV or something. Then He can speak to everyone at once.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.