Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:01AM

I am not responsible for my creation. My existence is involuntary. If I reproduce, I am responsible for any and all offspring. If I abuse my offspring, I am culpable of a crime. I am responsible for the well being of my offspring. I believe that I should deal with my family with an even hand, neither favoring nor scorning any family members. Mormonism is my antithesis, as it judges and measures and sentences people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:23AM

I believe that cheap gin should never touch tonic water, it should be used to clean out the garbage disposal. And those who produce cheap gin should have prickly sea life attached to their privates. OK, maybe that IS a bit harsh.

I believe that life is more difficult than one could ever imagine.

I believe that I have lived before and will live again, even though I don't want to deal with the world in another life. I am f-ing tired. I would rather hang out in the ether then get drop kicked into some woman's uterus.

I believe that you should treat others the way you want to be treated.

I believe on the metro or on the bus, in offering my seat to pregnant women, the elderly, impaired, or women with babies. Never have I seen another person do this. The pregnant woman almost always declined. I hope it shames others into acting better.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:29AM

Nothing ole' Joe dreamed up. You can't believe in something that is only a belief in itself.

I believe in life [but only outside of Mormonism] liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I believe in me and you, going places, sharing till the cows come home... then sleeping like there is no tomorrow; then sharing a good cup of coffee and laughing about it all.

M@t

P.S. I believe in a lot of you and in all you can do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 11:13AM by moremany.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:27AM

I'm a Frisbetarian;

I believe that when we die, our soul gets stuck on a roof or in a tree, and watches the world go by...

Until then, I believe in the Golden Rule & parable of Good Samaritan.

Posted by: slipperyslope ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 06:36AM

+1000

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:18AM

Love this!

Posted by: Albinolamanite ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:29AM

My grandfather used to say that we all end up in a parking garage in Buffalo, NY. It now seems as plausible as any other belief system.

Posted by: checker of minor facts ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 04:33AM

I believe in gravity.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 04:38AM

I think that god functions as a good idea for certain people during certain times in life.

But a lot of things on paper seem like good ideas...

I'm not really worried about believing anything, but everything above here sounds good to me.

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:13PM

Duh!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 07:35AM

I believe that it's amazing that I get to be here. My mother started out with a million eggs and somehow, I was the lucky one to be fertilized, along with one of the billions of sperm that my Dad has produced in his lifetime. I then survived my gestation and birth.

In the 13.8 billion years since the Universe formed, there was no me and now, here I am. That's amazing. I have already won the lottery. We all have, just by being here.

It makes me look at life in a new way. Even looking at a tiny little ant, I think, "For billions of years that little ant wasn't here. This is its chance to be here too."

It makes me respect life so much more than my friend who steps on the ant and goes, "Sorry, little ant, but I'm sending you home to Heavenly Father." I hate it when she says that.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 11:49AM

I get you Greyfort. I'm always amazed I got parents that passed on some pretty healthy genes, fed me healthy meals,and worked hard to educate me. They also kept an attractive home and always saw to it that I got good medical care. The icing on the cake was constant conversation with no topic off limits. I could talk to my parents about anything. All in all I've been very fortunate.

I still cannot believe Mormonism crept into our happy home. I guess there must be "Opposition In All Things" to keep some balance going.

I believe in truth and admire science. I have no gods and continually wonder what life's purpose is. I kind of believe I'm here to choose my own destiny one day at a time.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:23AM

Lately I've grown fond of high state-church Darwinism as a belief system.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:31AM

I believe that Brian May, Roger Taylor, and Freddie Mercury are rock gods.

I hope that the Hughes and Flakes get arrested for animal abuse (Gilbert23).

I believe in the "golden rule."

Mormonism ruined my view of god, religion, etc. So in a way, I don't know what else to believe anymore.

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:43AM

I believe in what's true and can be proved with hard evidence. I don't believe in what's false. Seems simple enough to me.

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:44AM

I believe I'll have another beer. (Not mine, but I like the sentiment.)

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:51AM

I believe everything I believe could be wrong. I believe there are wonderful brilliant people in the world, I also believe there are horrific self-absorbed, sociopathic fucktards in the world. I believe society is a constant struggle between the two.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:02AM

I believe I agree with Don Bagley.

It could be much worse ;-)

Tom in Paris

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:03AM

I cannot begin to voice my beliefs as well as the words written by Robert Fulghum. I tip my hat to him, and echo his words:

ALL I EVER REALLY NEEDED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN

Most of what I really need to know about how to live, and what to do, and how to be, I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate school mountain, but there in the sandbox at nursery school.

These are the things I learned: Share everything. Play fair. Don't hit people. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your own mess. Don't take things that aren't yours. Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody. Wash your hands before you eat. Flush. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you. Live a balanced life. Learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.

Take a nap every afternoon. when you go out into the world, watch for traffic, hold hands and stick together. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the plastic cup. The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.

Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the plastic cup -- they all die. So do we.

And then remember the book about Dick and Jane and the first word you learned, the biggest word of all LOOK. Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation, ecology and politics and sane living.

Think of what a better world it would be if we all -- the whole world -- had cookies and milk about 3 o'clock every afternoon and then lay down with blankets for a nap. Or if we had a basic policy in our nation and other nations to always put things back where we found them and cleaned up our own messes. And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out into the work, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

Posted by: grunzeug ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:12AM

I would consider myself an agnostic theist/deist who sympathizes with Buddhism.

That means I believe a creator is likely to exist, even if it's a universal force or something of the kind which organizes things and probably we can't even understand, but I can't say for sure. I believe the Abrahamic God seems unlikely, but who knows?

Talking about institutionalized religions, I like Buddhism the best.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:15AM

"Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations. And, finally, here are some completely gratuitous pictures of wangers to annoy the censors and to hopefully spark some sort of controversy, which, it seems, is the only way, these days, to get the jaded, video-sated public off their fucking arses and back in the sodding cinema. Family entertainment? Bollocks. What they want is filth: people doing things to each other with chainsaws during tupperware parties, babysitters being stabbed with knitting needles by gay presidential candidates, vigilante groups strangling chickens, armed bands of theatre critics exterminating mutant goats. Where's the fun in pictures? Oh, well, there we are. Here's the theme music. Goodnight."

Posted by: HHH ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:18AM

I believe in sex with beautiful women.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:04AM

I believe in looking people in the eye.

I believe in actually listening to what the other person is saying.

I believe you cannot walk a mile in another person's shoes, but your heart can.

I believe in getting out of ruts.

I believe cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves have healing properties.

I believe my dog is a superior being to Mormon God--or any god.

I believe I'll have another cup of coffee.

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:30AM

I believe in the book of Mormon

*in so far as it is translated correctly.

Posted by: Its very simple ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:38AM

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:43AM

Karma.

;o)

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:53AM

I've gone back to the worship of the old gods. Thor and Odin, along with Freya and Tyr.

I believe that the only way to get into Valhalla and the great feasting corpse hall is to die with a sword in my hand.

That every day we will wake up and fight battles and night night we'll all come back to life and we'll feast, get drunk and get with chicks. It's going to be awesome.

Posted by: hotchi ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 11:37AM

A giant Flying Spaghetti Monster. Be touched by his noodly appendage. RAmen

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:08PM

The stars at night in a clear dark sky and the smell of the desert after it rains.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:11PM

My focus is to live the Universal Truth of Love One Another, and The Golden Rule.
That includes holding the position of tolerance, respect, honor of humans and all their differences.

Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:16PM

I believe in God and Jesus and I believe in LOVE and that as long as we are pursuing love for others, ourselves and showing true genuine love that is what matters most.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:51PM

To steal a line: Everyone's gotta believe in something, an I believe I'll have a glass of Cabernet.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:00PM

I accept peer-reviewed science as having the answers to how the universe works. I don't believe in anything that must be believed in.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:08PM

I believe that I could lose ten pounds, that my hair is thinning, and that I am the most manly and attractive man ever.

Prove me wrong.

Posted by: touchstone ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:17PM

I believe God is bigger than our concept of God. Heck, I think the idea of "God" is already some kind of metaphor, a human invention. But I also believe some human inventions can work, and do so by how they relate to something beyond themselves. For example, bifocals work insofar as they relate the laws of optics to the human need to see more clearly. I believe we can, over time, improve upon our inventions.

I believe that struggling with the notion of "God" is part of how I become a better person.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:18PM

Science!

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:20PM

Ironically, I still believe (mostly) in the 13th article of faith.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.