Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: HHH ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:50AM

Please tell me I am not alone here,

because the first time I went through the temple ('92) and saw the temple movie, I in all seriousness thought that they might show Eve naked! Did any others of you think this? Am I crazy?

The reason I thought this was a possibility is because I had been prepped for weeks that the temple experience was really heavy and it could be shocking the first time through. I had no idea what was meant by that. So as we're sitting there watching the Garden of Eden scene, and you know that Adam and Eve are naked behind the hedges, I really did wonder if they would come out and we would see them. And it made me very uncomfortable, because my parents were there and I was thinking I could very well have to watch a naked couple on screen while my mom is sitting next to me. Sounds crazy perhaps, but I had those thoughts.

The funny thing is, I WANTED Eve to show herself. It was the film with the brunette Eve and she was so hot. I cannot believe that during what was supposed to be one of the most spiritual experiences of my life, I was sitting there worrying about seeing people naked, but also wanting to see Eve naked.

On a subsequent temple trip a learned from sad experience that there was a second temple film with a less hot blonde Eve. I always felt let down when I landed that movie.

Oh the memories! And for the record, it's not just guys who think like this. The sisters in the MTC used to talk about which Adam was hotter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:04AM

LOL!

I guess the different Eves are there to appeal to a broader cross section of the geriatric Mormon men that hang out in temples.

Personally, I was partial to the blonde one although I wouldn't have kicked either one of them out of my bed.

I would have really liked to have seen Eve played by some hot Latina - I'm thinking of a Sofia Vergara or Salma Hayek look-alike here. Holy shit! I might have had some really impure thoughts then. Especially as a repressed 19 year old stuck in the MTC.

Of course now there are 3 new Eves to look at. I'll never get in to see the latest batch though.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:16AM

Just wondering here, are all the Adams and Eves LDS? Or did they have to bring in outside help to achieve the degree of hotness they found most desirable?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 11:31AM

Yes Adam and Eve are an lds couple married and all.

Posted by: AlmostGone1 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:35PM

subeamnotlogedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes Adam and Eve are an lds couple married and
> all.

To even work on the production they checked employees temple recommends daily.

I had an ex missionary companion who worked there when the last set of new films were being made.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:58AM

The blond Eve was a bleached blond - you could see the roots were brown.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:57AM

I went through in 1976.

I could not believe the cheesy Satan they had.

He looked like a Villain from a Melodrama of the 1890s!

He had black hair, a long heart shaped face, black eyes with a mustache and goatee. I swear the ends of the mustache were slightly waxed. All he would have had to do was twirl one end and smirk and he'd been a type cast actor for a bad B movie.

I nearly laughed. It was distracting. It was one of those things I put on my shelf. Couldn't the TSCC get a less clownish villain to play Satan?

They did, I always liked the other guy; NOT Baldwin, the red head; He reminded me of a smart dressed fox and he came across as sly as one too. Very classy Satan.

Posted by: HHH ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 11:04AM

"with a mustache and goatee"

Are you sure this was not Ming the Merciless? lol

As for portraying Satan as cartoonishly evil, what is so stupid about that is that Satan, if he really exists, is not going to come at you so obviously "haha i am evil satan and i'm here to tempt you." As kaiser soze said "the greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he doesn't exist." True words. Satan will come to you seeming nice, and reasonable.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 11:44AM

I could handle the 1976 Satan guy. I did have a hard time taking Gordon Jump from the TV show WKRP seriously though. Also when walking around BYU I would see the guy (Spencer Palmer?) who played the Preacher in the temple movie. He was a Prof. at BYU and I always wanted to walk up to him, ask him a question, and then respond with, "Your advice is good." LOL!! I was too chicken to try it.

As far as seeing a naked Eve...probably a good thing that didn't happen. I would have hated to approach the veil having to deal with a "sixth point of fellowship".

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:50PM

He was my "Non Christian Religions" professor.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 11:26AM

Yes, I thought the same thing for the exact same reason. They prepped me so much, I was thinking that Adam and Eve would flash is on the screen... Or another thought was that some of all participants in the room would get naked.

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:13PM

My first time through was in the 70's also. Was really amazed at how cheesy the whole film was, especially all that plastic fern and flowers. That satan from the early films was the much loved actor from the live performances. Before I went through for the first time, several people told me to watch for satan as he really rocked.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:27PM

I went thru in 1976. The fruit in the movie was fake. Adam and Eve didn't even bit into it.

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:32PM

Went through in 1974, no movie, and very, very bad acting. Wife and I were pretty disgusted with the whole thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 01:41PM by magic823.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:33PM

To where did you take them out?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 01:45PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:41PM

SLC Temple, Dec. 74.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:36PM

So were naked performers used in the temples that did the live vaudeville act rather than a movie?

It would be bad in the live performance if Eve turned up sick one day and they had to use Ethel from washing and annointing for the live role.

Get there on a bad day and Eves chest size goes from a 34DD to 38 long.

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:41PM

Yeah, I always wondered if the curtains matched the carpet.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:44PM

I was shocked the first time I saw the temple film. Prior to that time I had only seen a live session and I thought the guy who played Satan was perfect for the part, but you know now that I no longer believe that this is truly necessary for my salvation its all moot. Crazy what we can fall for and call it religion.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:55PM

I also had Spencer Palmer for world religions at BYU. Two memories:
1. To told use that when he pursued developing a class for non-Mormon religion at BYU, certain faculty members (Joseph Fielding McKonkie) and certain board of trustee members (Packer and McKonkie) were very much opposed to spending tithing money on teaching anything but "the restored gospel".
2. One afternoon we were discussing animism, and he made the comment that some people worship animals, such as animals that have "claws like a bear". I just about peed my garments laughing so hard.

Posted by: Keith Vaught ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:15PM

LOL, Crathes, thanks.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:23PM

I was expecting to see her naked, and wondered if the guys closed their eyes and that's when she would be exposed. I was almost expecting to have a group sex thing on the alter. Things just got off to a strange start, and I had no idea where it would end. It ended differently than I ever would have expected too.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:40PM

I wondered the same thing as I sat there. Being gay, I was hoping to see me some Adam...not even a nipple, damn it!

Posted by: flash ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 04:53PM

While going through the bizarre experience of my first endowment session, all manner of questions kept popping into my mind:

- Why is this old man with PolyGrip breath touching my privates under my togo?
- Why am I learning secret combinations and handshakes while dressed up as the Pillsbury Doughboy? Was not secret combinations forbidden by the Lord?
- There is a true order of prayer? You mean, we have been using a false order of prayer?
- I am promising to slit my throat or disembowel myself to keep secrets?
- Oh God, that old man in front of me just passed gas and my eyes are watering.
- Satan is the best character in this incredibly boring movie.
- Where are some spiritual experiences to testify to me that the Church is true?
- Where are the angels?
- Where are some whisperings from my ancestors for encouragement?
- Where is the burning in my bosom?
- Where is the Holy Ghost descending like a dove to confirm my faith?
- Where’s the exit?

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 06:01PM

And why are we wearing his Priesthood Aprons he told us to put on.... It's not only a cult, it's a satanic cult!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 07:10PM

We had a guy who took out his endowments in a local store. The police took him and his endowments downtown.

Posted by: noone ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 07:34PM

Hysterical, Don! I'm still laughing.

Posted by: holytheghost ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 07:21PM

When I went through in 87, I went through one of the last temples that still performed the whole show live. Eve was about 80 years old, and in all honesty, the thought of seeing her naked never crossed my mind.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 07:24PM

No, but my first time through the thing that stuck out was

Adam covenants to follow god
Eve covenants to follow Adam.

My TBM ex-wife had been going to the temple for years before that and had never caught it...

Oh, and being an extreme introvert the participation portions made me extremely uncomfortable... also the outfits where terrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2014 07:25PM by AKA Alma.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 07:35PM

Have only seen it on youtube but thought Adam in the Michael Ballam as satan version looked like mitt romney .satan is great though!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.