Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:01AM

In another post I had mentioned that in the older, live Salt Lake Temple endowment, Satan has a blue apron with masonic symbols on it--pilars, trowels, square and compass (currently used by masons). Anyone else catch a peek at it?

When I asked about it, I was told it wasn't Masonic!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:04AM

I couldn't help but wonder why Satan got a better looking apron than the rest of us. The green leaf thing is just weird and ugly.

Date: July 24, 2014 12:07AM

Satan really got the best acting part of all of them. Adam was a wimp, Eve's hair covered her boobs, and just what did James and John do?

Secretly, I wanted to play Satan; that part went to Michael Ballam!

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:07AM

I also wondered what James and John did. Out of boredom, I paid attention one time and they have exactly one line each in the endowment:

James: "I am James"
John: "I am John"

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:16AM

I have wondered when the green started being used and why. Most masonic aprons I have seen are blue.
Did the green start with Joseph Smith in order to "change-up" the masonic ceremony that he ripped off? Does anyone know?

Date: July 24, 2014 03:27AM

Good question, the answer lies in the difference between the Masonic apron and the LDS. Not being a mason, I cannot speak to its symbolism and purpose; however, the LDS apron is the fig leaves used by Adam and Eve after discovering they were naked.

This poses a theological problem--why does the endowment memorialize Adam and Eve's comical attempt to cover their nudity? However one interprets the OT story, one thing is certain--the fig leaves are rejected. Given that the temple garment (underwear) is supposed to be the animal skin covering given to Adam by God, why is the green apron present?

Of course there really is no answer or doctrine on this point because the GA 15 are really as clueless as the rest if us to what was in Joseph's imagination. Perhaps the best answer us that the green satin looks better on the white clothing!

The Boner!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 05:18AM

It was blue and black and definitely masonic. At least in the live sessions in Salt Lake in the late 70s earlyb 80s.

The scene included a checker board floor pattern and some pillars.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.