Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 11:30PM

This board is populated by lots and lots of "honest seekers of
truth" -- people who care about others and go beyond the
shallow self-serving outlook. People who want to know truth
and who seek it out. People who have given the LDS claim more
time and effort and emotion than anything else.

IF the Church were true, this board shouldn't exist. There
should not be this many decent, caring, honest individuals who
are convinced after a deep study, that the Church is fake.

The typical "jack-Mormon" of my youth was someone who "knew"
the Church was true but just didn't have the character to live
the rules, and so was embarrassed to show up with nicotine
stains on the fingers etc.

However the people here KNOW it's not true. That's not
supposed to happen. ANYONE who really cares is supposed to be
able to KNOW that it's true. If it really were true, we
wouldn't exist.

TBMs get around this paradox by trashing our character. We are
"too selfish," or "weren't sincere," or "just want to sin," or
were so full of ourselves that we threw away our eternal bliss
just because someone "offended" us, etc.

Because even THEY know that we shouldn't exist.

Our very existence is not acceptable to their worldview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 11:32PM by baura.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:19AM

I concur. I like how you explain the Jack Mormon. Many like to equate a former Mormon with a Jack Mormon. Very, very different. Although some former Mormons fall into disrepair and scandal, most of us are slugging it out as people with an affection for being genuine and authentic born into a proven fraud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 03:20AM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:26AM

I wish it were this simple. I still recall the occasional conversation with a missionary who would engage in pretzel logic by claiming that my rejection of the church is proof that it's true. "The greater the opposition, the greater the truth."

Oh brother.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:28AM

Well, you know, it's Lucifer leading us astray, causing us to kick against the pricks -- and the brethren really are pricks.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:43AM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:47AM

It does hold water. I prayed to learn "if these things are NOT true." I got confirmation that they weren't.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 04:01AM

LOL

Posted by: anony ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 05:20AM

exactly!!

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 04:22AM

Well said baura. There would be no need for this site if the church were true or you could leave without messing with your family and friends.

I initially came to this site for information (the archived posts/articles). I then read the discussion board for more information and for selfish reasons. I had discovered like minded people going through the same challenges I faced.

It has been a tremendous help tp me in finding the truth and in my recovery process.

After a while on this board, many move on and have no need to visit again. Others stay, and are a help and support to the countless thousands struggling with church issues and/or the recovery process.

We all help one another and, as baura stated, we should not even exist.

Thank you Eric for being a true prophet and having a vision for this need in our lives.

Tom Phillips

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 12:48AM

I agree with this post. Topping.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 11:58AM

"There would be no need for this site if the church were true or you could leave without messing with your family and friends."

Exactly. I NEVER would have come here if I had received ANY respect/compassion/understanding from my TBM family. I would have just left the church and moved on with my life. Unfortunately, the church has trained all my loved-ones to be self-righteous jerks that KNOW the church is true. Devotion to the church will always come first. I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't for this gathering of understanding individuals.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:46AM

Right. We should not exist. That is why so many TBM's are scared to death of apostates. The only effective tools LDS Inc has are fear and family pressure, and we are proof that that is no longer sufficient.

They know deep down it is a house of cards, and anyone who leaves is a threat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 08:47AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 01:57AM

I agree. I shouldn't exist as an exmormon.

I did what I was supposed to do, but it didn't generate a testimony. But a TBM isn't going to take MY word for it. Because according to their belief system, that's not supposed to happen. It's easier to discount my experience than it is to challenge their belief system and risk upsetting the apple cart.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 02:05AM

Exactly! As my older brother once told me, I honestly don't understand how you are so happy! You are doing everything the church teaches not to do and that it is impossible for you to be happy, yet you are.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 02:22AM

Underneath the "we should not exist" is the deep desire to get rid of us because our existence in this happier, truly free state is a repudiation of the self-important egocentric "we have more light" world of Mormonism.

If each of us were a philandering, smoking, drunk, drug-pushing criminal, the Mormons would be having us march in a parade.

Instead, we thrive. In early Mormon history, we were simply killed to avoid the cog dis... and our fellow members who might off us would be deemed to have done us a favor.

Kathleen Waters

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2014 02:23AM by anagrammy.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 02:30AM

Well I would be remiss if I didn't stand and bear my testimony. . .

From one non-existent soul to all the rest of you here.......

deepest gratitude for confirming my needless non-existence.

Existentially yours,
Me

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 02:40AM

The CULT blames everything on the member or non/member in our cases. It is NEVER anything they did that got people out of their CULT.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 03:21AM

Right!

This explains why my Mormon neighbors and former friends look right through me at the grocery store, the games, at parties--I don't exist!

I do agree with Anointed One, that if we could leave without messing with our family and friends--if we could just walk out the door, as most Christian churches allow--we wouldn't need all this help to "recover."

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 03:29AM

I don't use the word often, but.....AMEN!

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 09:28AM

Yeah, it's interesting how people still can't wrap their heads around the reason I left the Church. They just can't understand why a BIC bishop who knows all about Church history and have no visible flaws of character would leave the Church.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 10:01AM

What a great perspective. The need for recovery as proof of the injury. You can only heal if you've been wounded.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 10:19AM

RFM is here to help people recover from a nasty mind virus. The notion that people here are damned is just more proof that TSCC doctrine is bad for you. Love isn't something you get, it's something you give. TSCC is about getting in the hereafter, so it's fake.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 11:47AM

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 11:15AM

It was this line of thinking that helped me realize that the church had failed. "What would it and the world look like if it were true?" was the question I asked myself.

The church has had 200 years to show what it is capable of. If it were really run by the Power of the Priesthood and the Holy Ghost:
- Utah should function better than any other state or country, a harmonious and well-ordered land in which individuals find their greatest personal potential and is where the world turns for guidance and comfort.
- Great events both wonderful and terrible are foreseen by prophets and planned for with wisdom and care.
- The members find collective strength in unity and love, and are not rocked by the fads and follies of the surrounding culture, or resort to petty competition for status and position.
- Great truths of science and art are brought forth by enlightened and spiritually guided members.
- The best of the rest of the world would be attracted to it, and missionary work would be unnecessary.
- Poverty of soul and body are vanquished.

Etc. The church's best hope is that it is not true, if what they've done is the best that the one, true church. can produce.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 11, 2014 11:36AM

Exactly. Measure the church by its own yardstick, "by their fruits shall ye know them" and the results speak for themselves. TSCC is a pack of lies in a godly wrapper.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.