Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:46PM

I'm born and raised in southeast part of the US, so can I ask you Utahns a question?

How big is Pioneer Day in Utah?

Is it bigger than the 4th of July?

What is it like?

Out here in the southeast US, we wouldn't even know Pioneer Day existed if we didn't belong to TSCC at some point in our lives. They usually have some kind of lame activity at the local ward for Pioneer Day, but mostly only the native Utahns and the high local ward muckedy-mucks go to it.

I don't think I ever went to one of those lame Pioneer Day activities that we have out here in the "mission field."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:50PM

How big is Pioneer Day in Utah?
Very Big

Is it bigger than the 4th of July?
No

What is it like?
The 4th with a ton of mormon prpoganda

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 05:00PM

I disagree. Pioneer day is much bigger than the 4th of July. July 4th is a 3 day holiday. Pioneer Day is a month long suckfest. Rodeos, Days of 47 everything, Constant media reports, interviews & coverage, handcart reenactments, etc. etc.Plus, all the people in public stores, movies, gatherings talking about their "heritage"-UGH. For a non- Mormon in Utah, July sucks because of Pioneer Day.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 07:56PM

"Is it bigger than the 4th of July?
No"

For some the answer is yes..

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:56PM

In Texas it's too damn hot to have a parade for EITHER. But the TBMs with ties to Utah and other cooler mountain states head home for 7/24 and smug celebration.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 11:23PM

Where I live in southern Idaho, the only town I know that celebrates it is Oakley,Idaho. The rest of the towns around them, including Burley don't anything at all for it. If they did the non members or inactive wouldn't allow it. They'd be offended at it. Besides Oakley's more TBM than a lot of Cassia county. During our county fair parade the morg from there always remind everybody just how TBM that their town by their float!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 11:50PM

I grew up in the PNW. I could never figure out why we celebrated a Utah Holiday. It didn't mean anything to me.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 11:55PM

A good number of TBMs here take the 24th more seriously than the 4th. There is still a decent amount of the historic anti-American sentiment amongst Utah Mormons.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 07:59PM

Speaking of Anti-american sentiment:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58216230-78/mormon-pioneers-wagon-1847.html.csp

"Were LDS pioneers loyal Americans?

Reeve • No, they were fleeing the United States. When the Mormons arrived in the Great Basin, they were actually arriving in northern Mexico. The U.S. war with Mexico was ongoing. When some Mormons first learned of that war, they hoped Mexico would win. Within seven months of the Mormon arrival in the valley, the war ended, and Mexico ceded the land which the Mormons occupied to the United States; the Mormons found themselves once again on American soil."

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:02AM

I've been thinking about Pioneer Day a lot lately. I think it will gradually take a back seat to Independence Day. Pioneer Day is different than the statehood days of other states, because it is the celebration of people who arrived in the Salt Lake Valley as members of one church.

The population of Utah becomes more diverse every year. Add to that the fact that the Days of Forty-Seven committee saw fit to exclude the LGBTQ community from the parade and I think you will see the parade dwindle. If I had influence at a business, television station, non profit, etc. I would think twice about spending the money to put an entry in a parade that was controlled by a homophobic church. I hope there will be some peaceful protest tomorrow.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:16AM

It's the TBMs' way of saying: "We're here, we're qu**r (especially our liquor laws), and we're going to stay!" In other words: screw you gentiles!

Posted by: topped ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:50PM

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:51PM

Too big and dumb.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 04:31PM

I wouldn't be at work today if I were still in Utah... Haha.

Posted by: WesternJoe ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 07:01PM

It varies. It's big in Salt Lake city. In much of Utah Valley, it's pretty much a vacation day for about half the working population--the other half don't get it off. The ONLY reason I remembered it was pioneer day was because an ex-mo, of all people, added it at the bottom of an email to me and my gym is closed this afternoon.

Anyone not aware of the day driving here was wonder why the traffic is different and that's about it.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 07:15PM

The Days of 47 Parade is HUGE. I remember the year that the Budweiser Clydesdales were NOT allowed into their precious parade because some moron might see the horses and become an instant raging alcoholic.

I know that since I moved to Colorado, every time I pass Coor's Field (EVERY TIME), I have to immediately pull over and buy a case of beer and consume it immediately. Then with the Pepsi Center too, I am always either very far up on caffeine or very down because of that case of beer.

Yeah, that was one of Utah's many millions of embarrassing moments....no Clydesdales in their suck dick parade. They didn't see the honor of having those magnificent horses around like any person with an IQ over 12 would. Can't take a chance on someone seeing a horse and instantly becoming a raging alcoholic can we? GAWD I AM HAPPY I AM NOT THERE!!!! It is days like this when I AM SO GLAD!!!

The average IQ in Utard is 19....Sad but true. It is the non-CULTers who brought the average way up. Without them, it would be way below zero.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 07:25PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: anonymous4now ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 07:21PM

Part of why it's SO big, is it's a state recognized holiday so many businesses are closed. The non-Mormons appropriately celebrate the alternative to pioneer day, pie-n'-beer day and every one is happy. Now, I'm off to the store for some pie...

Posted by: SSoCalNevermo ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 07:45PM

When we lived in Utah (Sandy), my feeling was that it was a day, sanctioned by the state, for Mormons to rub their crap in the faces of the rest of us. After the first year there, we made it a point to be out of Utah on the 24th whether Wendover, Mesquite or someplace else.

Posted by: birchtree ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 07:56PM

It's bigger than the fourth, in SLC at least. Many local businesses are closed and it's impossible to get around the closer you get to downtown.

I used to work for a non-Utah company. Many of my co-workers took a vacation day for the 24th. I was happy to be at work under the A/C and away from the crowds.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:29PM

Happy Pie&Beer Day

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 08:44PM

Once, in Provo, on Pioneer Day, my friends and I were waiting for a spot on the street way before the parade- about 1 AM- staking out a spot. A work truck went by (I had once worked for the company) and I pointed it out out to my friends. The passenger in the truck saw us pointing and flipped us off. My buddys and I jumped in the car and we raced after them. They made a few turns (parade route, main streets, State St., slow going). As we got beside them our driver lit a bottle rocket and let it go. The passenger's window was still down (oops) and it went right into the cab of the truck and landed on the dashboard. The driver hit the brakes and stopped in the middle of the road and I looked back just in time to see the cab of the truck light up as it exploded. I hope they had their hands on their ears. Poor guys.

I don't even remember if we stayed around for the parade.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:00PM

I'd say it's bigger than Fourth of July because it's THEIR special holiday, celebrating Utah and Utah Mormons. It seemed like there were more parades but slightly fewer fireworks shows. Only slightly though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.