Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AmiableAgnosticAtheist ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:56PM

There are a number of Mormon missionaries who hang around the square at the university where I am currently taking a summer class. A few of them have approached me, and I have attempted to tell them why their argument from faith is not useful and why their personal experience of the movement of the spirit isn't necessarily evidence that even they should accept while remaining diplomatic, but I know my social skills are not exactly stellar and at least one of them was probably offended, or found me hostile.

I suppose I am a little "anti-Mormon;" I find the religion as a whole cultish, sexist and a fair bit creepy. I just don't want to seem hostile, because I'm never going to make someone really think about their beliefs when they see me as a hostile force. How do I reach out to people without seeming like I'm attacking them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 08:05PM

There is no reason to feel compelled to engage them. Avoid them if you can, otherwise, a simple "I'm not interested" might suffice. Escalate from there if necessary.

They are master, though frequently unconscious, manipulators. Don't engage them ...

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:29PM

haha, master manipulators?

That's a little much. They a naiive kids who dont know any better, hardly masters at anything.

Date: July 23, 2014 10:32PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 10:32PM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:53PM

nonsequiter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> haha, master manipulators?
>
> That's a little much. They a naiive kids who dont
> know any better, hardly masters at anything.

baiting comes to mind

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 08:05PM

I don't know. I'd probably have a difficult time not sounding hostile too.

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 08:08PM

Well, we know that inviting them to talk over nice cups of coffee in the Student Union is out.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:06PM

I'd love some missionaries to talk to me.

I have some facts that I can back up. Don't have to tell them
their religion is a "cult" or that their leaders are "wrong,"
etc. Just explore some facts with them.

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:14PM

In the south, we like to respond to their approaches with, "Well, bless your heart!"

Then we wander on.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:24PM

Do you get upset and angry and appear agitated? Maybe always remember to keep a smile on your face and that will help.

Imagine them as small, naive little children who need a little adult help understanding real life with your experienced and matured mind. When they say something childish and ignorant, shake your head a little with pity, smile and answer as if you were speaking to a little child, with an adult voice of authority (but keep smiling!).

If they say something for which you have no answer because its so absurd then let out a little laugh, put your hand on their shoulder, and say "I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree on that one!" And keep smiling!

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:25PM

I'm reading on here quite a bit about missionaries hanging around college campuses. Is this a new thing?

Date: July 23, 2014 10:32PM

Don't bother about making them think anything.

They are in their own little crucibles right now. Those who are adept at delusioning themselves are being sorted out from those who are already thinking things, albeit quietly.

Evidence that the church is a load of bull comes everyday to missionaries, its just that many are not in a place to examine it yet, your conversations will hardly matter in the long run.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 11:36PM

Excellent thinking nonsequiter! My TBM son is on a mission right now. From his letters, it's not at all what he thought it would be like.

I try to be nice to the missionaries when I see them. I generally show them a picture of my son and explain that I have an LDS background but that the church didn't work for me. That generally works to keep the preaching away.

I see no need to be an asshole to them; all that will do is push them deeper into the arms of the church.

On the other hand, I just read this post:Just offer to buy them a beer. If they decline, then offer to buy them a coffee or tea. Ask them about the Qabal as the origin of the three levels of glory and the inverted pentagrams on the Nauvoo Temple.

Fuck yeah! If they weren't someone's kids I'd say that was great advice too!

The Boner

Posted by: FWIW ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:53PM

Just offer to buy them a beer. If they decline, then offer to buy them a coffee or tea. Ask them about the Qabal as the origin of the three levels of glory and the inverted pentagrams on the Nauvoo Temple.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:35AM

If you're an ex-mo, tell them so, but be friendly. Maybe even act like you're not sure, but there's all this stuff... then present them with some of the facts and issues. Hey, might as well plant some seeds of truth in them if you have the opportunity.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:17AM

Take a pointer from Walter White's experience, don't mount a machine gun in the trunk of the car on a garage opener...that really does come off as hostile.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:59AM

Another poster in this forum put forward,

"I know your Church is not what it claims"

As strong, but not overly aggressive.

I would not start out with this if you do not want to engage with them, but if you do.

Follow-up statement to a Mormon missionary after saying this is, "Make a claim"

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 07:03AM

Sign language?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:00AM

Offer to buy them a beer, then coffee, then tea? Seriously? Now that is rude, a combination of baiting and mockery.

I have no problem telling them that I used to be Mormon, but the more problems I found with Mormon claims over the years, the more it became obvious that the only explanation that fit all the data was JS made it all up.

I don't worry about whether that offends them. It is my testimony. They aren't spending much time worrying about whether their testimony offends me.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:08AM

Ignore them and keep walking. You are under no obligation to speak to anyone you do not know.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:30AM

I suggest you don't talk to them if they're as cranky and easily wounded as they sound.

I don't think they should be allowed to use university resources to market their particular religious preference.

Aren't students busy attending classes, doing homework and trying to unwind when they have a few minutes? How selfish and insensitive for outsiders with their own agendas to impose on their precious time.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:39AM

Missionaries have hard lives imposed upon them. They had no idea the hell they signed up for. Many of them are miserable and can't wait to go home.

Sure, there are few pricks in the lot, but most are nice guys doing what they think their families want. If Monson cancelled missions tomorrow, they would quietly celebrate while hurrying to pack for home.

Give them a nice cold drink and be chatty with them. If they try to talk religion, tell them you are not interested. Debating them is silly since they don't know doctrine at all. It's like debating history with your middle schooler.

They are 18 year old kids straight out of HS, far from home and exploited through guilt by LDS, Inc. Pity is what you should feel for them.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:51AM

Students need to pay attention to their classes and be good examples of dedication to goals and hard work.

As a parent, I wouldn't like a college student spending money and time on Mormons or JWs who likely haven't been given permission to be on campus confronting the students who are paying good money for their college classes.

Posted by: Interested observer ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:08AM

Perhaps you could simply explain to them that genuine missionaries DO NOT normally attempt to persuade anyone to join a particular sect or denomination. The role of a missionary is simply to persuade non-believers into becoming Christians and there should be no reason at all to join or become a member of any organization.

Following that you could tell them that you might consider becoming a Christian as long as you're allowed to be a member of the denomination of your choice, preferably one that doesn't demand payment to go to Heaven. If they can't agree to that then clearly they cannot be missionaries in the real sense of the word, salespeople might be a better term.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:25AM

Easy. Only ask questions.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:38AM

Two phrases I find helpful in avoiding conversation with Missionaries:

Not Today

and

I have nothing to add.

That's all you say, and walk away.

I really like the "I have noting to add." It discourages all the rest of the initiated discussion by unwanted solicitation of the Elders.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:43PM

1. Do not engage them in the first place
2. Just a nod or wave goodbye - no comment, let your body language send a message.

I have found it's very effective to be non verbal.
I've answered the door to someone that I didn't want to talk to so I opened the door just a crack, listened for 5to 10 seconds, waved goodbye and shut the door.

I used to have an old broken BB gun that I kept by the door! :-)

Posted by: AlmostGone1 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:18PM

Just ask them 1 question. When was the last time a prophet of God said "Thus saith the Lord"

Done. No living prophets today.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:45PM

Keep a couple copies of the CES letter with you. When they approach; Say, o so glad to see you. I have been praying for you and God has inspired me to give you this.

Hand them the letter and polity bid them farewell.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 05:46PM

You don't need to engage them. A simple, "not interested" will suffice. OTOH, if you enjoy discussing your view of Mormonism, I don't see why you shouldn't do that. They are religious salespeople, after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 05:46PM by summer.

Posted by: bourneidentity ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 06:41PM

I bumped into some Elders in San Francisco on a corner. They seemed really out of place and uncomfortable so instead of starting a long conversation with them, which my Girl Friends hates, I told them I was one. It was like they lit up and smiled thinking finally......one of us in the big city. We kept on our way and the feelings were much better the bashing. I was once a Mormon and like me, they can become. LOL

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 06:59PM

If you want them to keep pestering you, be Mr. or Mrs. Nice. If you want them out of your live FOREVER, you have to hostile. They don't listen to anything else. Their brains and ears are filled with arrogance and it causes problems.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 07:05PM

"haha, master manipulators?

That's a little much. They a naiive kids who dont know any better, hardly masters at anything." -

THEY ARE CELEBRATING THEIR 167th YEAR IN THE SLC VALLEY TODAY. YES THEY ARE MANIPULATORS. HOW LONG WOULD A STORY BASED ON KOLOB AND MOON QUAKERS LAST WITHOUT SERIOUS MANIPULATION? DON'T FORGET THAT IT WAS FOUNDED BY A CHILD MOLESTOR AND RACIST. SERIOUS MANIPULATION!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.